Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving fusebox

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

paddy147 wrote: »
    So is the ESB needed or not then?

Thanks.

absolutely needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »
    absolutely needed

Sack me, I made the esb

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

Well if the tails are being removed/new ones installed Yes
    If you were to extend them I wouldnt really see the need to trouble the good people at ESB Networks

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

absolutely needed

I hate to disagree with ya :eek:

It depends the tails may be coming up the wall so there may be no need you may be able to find the cable in the wall although it will mean you'll be working with a live cable but could be made safe.

I think a bit more info is required from op but either way an electrician will be needed.

Allsoo depending on the supply not needing too be upgraded then you'll require the ESB

mozil wrote: »
    If you were to extend them I wouldnt really see the need to trouble the good people at ESB Networks

if you are going to the trouble to move the board then why not put new tails in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well if the tails are being removed/new ones installed Yes

If the board is being lowered, they are probably coming upwards anyway. But possibly up and then through the wall, so could be still too short.

But it is far more preferable to put in new tails rather than joint.

leeomurchu wrote: »
    I hate to disagree with ya :eek: and Paddy I've no need too hear from you on this.

It depends the tails may be coming up the wall so there may be no need you may be able to find the cable in the wall although it will mean you'll be working with a live cable but could be made safe.

I think a bit more info is required from op but either way an electrician will be needed.

Allsoo depending on the supply not needing too be upgraded then you'll require the ESB

havnt ever seen a main consumer cable coming up a wall to feed d.b(that doesnt mean its not possible)

Well for one thing you would be saving some money, 16's isnt the cheapest thing in the world. I know its not going to cost big money but still and all

havnt ever seen a main consumer cable coming up a wall to feed d.b(that doesnt mean its not possible)

Most houses I've wired have tails going down the wall to the meter unit although they're usually in a duct but I've seen plenty of lads putting on 6" of a duct after the fact just to please ESB.

I suppose it's a case of seeing the job we're all only guessing otherwise. :D

Well for one thing you would be saving some money, 16's isnt the cheapest thing in the world. I know its not going to cost big money but still and all

saving money?

its about doing a professional,safe installation

• Advertisement

yes well I feel confident enough in my ability that I am able to joint a 16s t&e cable safely,

yes well I feel confident enough in my ability that I am able to joint a 16s t&e cable safely,

I guess if you'd have to put a junction box above the board to joint all the services then there'd be no issue with jointing the 16sq t&e.

There's no problem with joining cables if it's done correctly and the joint is accessible. There'd be no requirement for the ESB if that was the plan unless as I said before the tails need to be upgraded.

Well thats what if have been saying all along..
    but more information is needed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Can I recommend to the OP and his mother,that getting 2 hard wired phone points would be a good idea.

1 in the hallway or sitting room,and the 2nd in her bedroom.

This way if she is frail or sick and in bed (hopefully not) then she has a phone and source of communication.

Same with the sitting room,if shes downstairs watching TV and the power goes out and she needs to make contact.

2 lengths of Cat5E run/wired to the 2 phone locations from the main eircom line/junction box and you will be fine.

A landline phone with number memory will set you back around 15 euro in Argos.

Lidl and Aldi sell good quality LCD Display landline phones with number storage for 12 euro ever couple of months.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A few points:

1) Discussion and debate are encouraged.

2) You do not require any formal electrical qualifications to post here. So once you obey the Forum Guidelines you do not need to be an electrician to contribute / start a thread.

3) If you have nothing constructive to add or can not be civil to others don't post.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Would recommend an electrician carry out the work though.

Try a few different places and get a few quotes see what they can do for you OP.

Advertisement