Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ban in Cycling forum

Options
  • 22-08-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭

I received a ban from the Cycling forum for this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80364718&postcount=41

this was stated to be because I had ignored a moderator's instructions. I pointed out that the moderator's post was actually after mine. However the ban was upheld as I had been "trolling".

There are two points here.

Trolling is a serious thing and I do not believe that my post warranted this description. A single post in the middle of a thread criticising lawbreakers (i.e. persons who cycle on the footpath) is found in various circumstances in boards.ie and not characterised as trolling. A "vandals are idiots" type of post is not generally characterised as abuse in boards.

There is a broader point here. The moderator's comments on the thread implied that comments critical of cyclists would lead to disciplinary action, which suggests that similar comments about other groups would not. This was in a thread in which the actions of other road users were being criticised. I do not think this represents best practice in moderation. But if it is to be permitted in certain forums, then postings in those forums should not appear in the general boards listing, as posters (like me) may click on a thread without awareness of the particular restrictions on the acceptable points of view to the moderators of the forum in which the thread appears.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As I was the mod responsible for the in-thread warning (although not the infraction), and also contributed to the thread in question I will ask Black Swan to have a look at this one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi ardmacha,
    I will be handling this DRP.

Please be advised that the first step in this dispute resolution procedure is to have an exchange of PMs with the moderators involved in this issue. If you have not had this exchange, please do so now. Once having that exchange, if you feel that it cannot be resolved, then please advise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

ardmacha wrote:
    Black Swan wrote:
    Hi ardmacha,
    Thank you for replying. Just to be clear. You agree with:
    • The 1-week ban remains (but will soon expire automatically);
    • the red card is reversed;
    • and we close the dispute resolution and mark it resolved.
    Please advise.

Sincerely,
    Black Swan

Done. Many thanks.

Ardmacha.
    Please be advised that I will request that the red card be reversed in the next few minutes. It may take a day or more for the reverse to occur, depending upon Admin schedules.

REQUEST TO ADMIN:

Please close this DRP and mark it resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement