Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Bike Theft In Fairview"

• 22-08-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭

Came across this video on youtube:

Posted the 13th of August. Uploader says:
    Two scumbags outside Tesco in Fairview attepting to steal two bikes. I asked them what they were doing and they replied calmly, "stealing bikes". Tesco staff said they wouldn't call the Gardai when I asked them to. When I started to video and move in closer to them they ran off into the park.

Pair of scumbags. What needs to be said about them.
    But whats the deal with everyone recording stuff these days? :P
    He says "ring the gardai" - fine. He doesnt try to stop them (why should he I guess. Not his bike) but why film them? ... you see it more and more on youtube these days... "whoa, a person just got knocked over, gotta record this for youtube!" ... why!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Because it would be video evidence of them trying to steal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Because it would be video evidence of them trying to steal?

So ... Instead of giving it to the Gardai you put that 'video evidence' up on youtube? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

So ... Instead of giving it to the Gardai you put that 'video evidence' up on youtube? ;)

Well yeah, if he loses it or something he can say "here, it's on YouTube" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Knack bags! :mad:

This is the way of the world. Rather then us his phone to call the garda, he puts a video on youtube.

• Advertisement

This is the way of the world. Rather then us his phone to call the garda, he puts a video on youtube.

Exactly what I thought!
    The recorder says at one point "no phone" - but then what is he recording his low quality video with? .. his calculator!? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

He says "ring the gardai" - fine. He doesnt try to stop them (why should he I guess. Not his bike) but why film them? ... you see it more and more on youtube these days... "whoa, a person just got knocked over, gotta record this for youtube!" ... why!?

yeah their is a thread over in cycling forum right here about that incident.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    yeah their is a thread over in cycling forum right here about that incident.

didnt know that...

ha the recorder is a boards.ie user :pac: even says he recorded it on his phone. But yet didnt want to ring the gardai :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

didnt know that...

ha the recorder is a boards.ie user :pac: even says he recorded it on his phone. But yet didnt want to ring the gardai :pac:

he asked them to stop and they didn't. The threat of guards being called didn't dissuade them either. Him recording them did stop them.

Good result, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Uploader too stingey to call the Gardai even though it would be free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Hard to make a call and still record the incident as evidence at the same time, hence he asked the "Security guards" to make the call. They claimed to have no phone. Yeah right.

kenmc wrote: »
    Hard to make a call and still record the incident as evidence at the same time, hence he asked the "Security guards" to make the call. They claimed to have no phone. Yeah right.

So he couldn't have stopped recording to make the call? Or called before starting recording?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, I'm sure if he rang the police they'd get the emergency response unit down there in less than 30 seconds, which is how long it would take to finish robbing that bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

Jesus lads all this **** about the uploader calling the gaurds! He was obviously using his phone to record what was happening and to get them to stop, if he just wanted a youtube video of it he would have recorded it and kept his mouth shut but he actually did something to try and stop those scumbags. Keyboard warriors, wonder how many of ye would have the balls to confront 2 dickheads with a crowbar on your own. Fair play to him, F*ck Tesco.

Fawkon wrote: »
    Fair play to him, F*ck Tesco.

'F*ck Tesco' because one or two of their five hundred thousand staff wouldn't call the gardai? And we're the keyboard warriors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

So he couldn't have stopped recording to make the call? Or called before starting recording?
    Doubt he had one of those new time shift recorders on his phone, so he needed to record them in the act. Ah well, if only he was an early adopter of technology eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Bike theft epidemic in Dublin, to what I hear it is not just kids, they are going around in vans with hydrolic cutters and loading the vans up. I caught 2 trying to steal my bike attempting to break the lock with a tyre iron. Which was never going to happen its a kryptonite lock.

I got "I thought it was my bike and I lost the key end of story" he was only about 15 and smart enough to keep his distance, but in truth he had a feral mad cnut look about him. I will be honest I was afraid of him. I have little doubt he and his mate were carrying.

They bent the frame, but the lads in the metal shop in work fixed it. So it turned out alright in the end.

What have calling the police achieve? Seriously? 2 boggers from Mayo drop their hang sandwiches and sprint out of the garda station, starsky and hutch style slide over the bonnet of their mondeo, then screech the tyres when they move off and just barely hold the powerslide as they round the corner out of the station?
    But in the real world you'd be lucky if they got there that day.

The guy stopped the theft (apparently), that's the best outcome you're going to get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Cienciano wrote: »
    What have calling the police achieve? Seriously? 2 boggers from Mayo drop their hang sandwiches and sprint out of the garda station, starsky and hutch style slide over the bonnet of their mondeo, then screech the tyres when they move off and just barely hold the powerslide as they round the corner out of the station?
    But in the real world you'd be lucky if they got there that day.

The guy stopped the theft (apparently), that's the best outcome you're going to get.

I agree it's ludicrous blaming the guy on the camera who actually prevented the theft.

Sometimes you get lucky with the gardai if they happen to have a car in the area. But you're right, often times when you need them especially in a real emergency, you realise just how much on your own you are.

• Advertisement

Lets face it, youtube will do more then the gardai

Motorist wrote: »
    I agree it's ludicrous blaming the guy on the camera who actually prevented the theft.

Sometimes you get lucky with the gardai if they happen to have a car in the area. But you're right, often times when you need them especially in a real emergency, you realise just how much on your own you are.

They're underage, so even if they were caught, worst thing that would happen is they'd be brought home to their mammies.

I think filming them is the better option, at least it gives us a good laugh at 2 scummers trying to rob a bike, and they left the bikes too, so result for the owners. Although, they probably just robbed a bike 50m down the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I was once walking on Parnell street during midday around 2pm and it was pretty crowded as always. I saw these two knacker looking kids with a large lock cutter trying to steal a bike in front of this shop. It took me a wee while before I figured out what was exactly going on. Then the security guard from the shop stepped out and asked the scumbags what they were doing. They stood up, hurled some incomprehensible abuses at the security guy and walked off to look for other safer places to nick a bike presumably... I wasn't really sure what to do about it. It didn't look like it stopped them from searching for bikes to nick or change their mind to lead a more respectable and responsible life.

Also this video is quite interesting...

People in NY really don't seem to give a ****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

'F*ck Tesco' because one or two of their five hundred thousand staff wouldn't call the gardai? And we're the keyboard warriors?
    Yes, you hire gutless turds to represent your company then you get judged by their actions, tough. F*ck Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

It was Bree Van De Camp :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Exactly what I thought!
    The recorder says at one point "no phone" - but then what is he recording his low quality video with? .. his calculator!? :pac:
    I think it was recorded with a potatoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It's not just bicycles. I've had 5 motorbikes stolen in 15 years. Last one was in July last year...2 guys just lifted the bike into boot of a car (yes...the boot). 3 locks and an alarm...they didn't care.
    Several witnesses, but only one who tried to stop them. They drove from Blanchardstown to Finglas with a motorbike hanging out of the boot and nobody even rang the Gardai to report it as suspicious...ya know, because the alarm was active!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Actually yes. The court of public opinion will deal with people like this in the way the Irish justice system utterly fails to do with every single "suspended sentence" it hands down to scumbags with 30 previous convictions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Colmustard wrote: »
    Bike theft epidemic in Dublin, to what I hear it is not just kids, they are going around in vans with hydrolic cutters and loading the vans up.
    Yea. Nearly all my mates who cycle have had bikes stolen. Some more than once. Clearly there's a big market for nicked bikes. I've heard that a good chunk of them are sent overseas. Dunno how much truth there is to that though. Might just be "what I heard in the pub" kinda thing. That said with the sheer number of nicked bikes on the go you'd have to wonder what market exists locally.

Personally speaking if I heard someone was dropping breezeblocks on their ratboy hands I'd not lay awake long winter nights crying over it.
    They bent the frame, but the lads in the metal shop in work fixed it. So it turned out alright in the end.
    I hope it was a steel frame CM? No way in hell would I trust an alloy frame after something like that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    Doubt he had one of those new time shift recorders on his phone, so he needed to record them in the act. Ah well, if only he was an early adopter of technology eh? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: what are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

The internet/Youtube is our self-created, self moderated panopticon. As the pervasiveness of religion and the fear of god dwindles, it's becoming a replacement 'all-seeing eye'. The threat of becoming famous for the wrong reasons is just one person holding a phone in your face away, recording, so that the rest of society can ye judge.

In the above video, it seems the threat of this is considered worse than the threat of the Gardai, which is interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yea. Nearly all my mates who cycle have had bikes stolen. Some more than once. Clearly there's a big market for nicked bikes. I've heard that a good chunk of them are sent overseas. Dunno how much truth there is to that though. Might just be "what I heard in the pub" kinda thing. That said with the sheer number of nicked bikes on the go you'd have to wonder what market exists locally.

Personally speaking if I heard someone was dropping breezeblocks on their ratboy hands I'd not lay awake long winter nights crying over it.

I hope it was a steel frame CM? No way in hell would I trust an alloy frame after something like that.

I didn't hear it in a pub, I heard it from a taxi-man friend who heard it from a garda so yeah not a great source. Apparently hey are taking Bicycles and motorbikes and shipping them to Britain.

My bike was 1500 with the government scheme, so it is was a 2000 bike. When I was shopping for a bikem I seen that bike and after that, no matter what I was looking at I just kept coming back to that particular one. So I really splashed out. It turned out to be the best thing I bought in years. So when they damaged the frame, I kid you not, I nearly cried.

So you could easilly get 500 to 800 in the UK for it. Probably the same here. It would be quick easy cash its a very good bike ( a cube).

I work in the aerospace industry so the lads and lady know the limits and how to work and fix (when possible) metal alloys. But very few have access to that expertise, I am lucky. I know the frame is alright.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Colmustard wrote: »
    My bike was 1500 with the government scheme, so it is was a 2000 bike. When I was shopping for a bikem I seen that bike and after that, no matter what I was looking at I just kept coming back to that particular one. So I really splashed out. It turned out to be the best thing I bought in years. So when they damaged the frame, I kid you not, I nearly cried.
    Well understandable CM. Utter ****.

I work in the aerospace industry so the lads and lady know the limits and how to work and fix (when possible) metal alloys. But very few have access to that expertise, I am lucky. I know the frame is alright.
    Your background is a major help. Still I'd not trust an aluminium alloy frame after it's been bent. :( It's down to the nature of the material, especially in a thin walled bicycle frame. Regardless, talk about utter ratboy **** for bending it in the first place:mad::mad::mad:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

One of the comments:
    dats my cuzin ur all talkin bout so id advise ye to delete ur utube dipshìts ye wouldnt say it to his face cuz e wud nock u out stone dead wit 1 punch he can track ur ip and kill u so delete utube b4 ur dead

We've crossed into The Sopranos territory, here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Duggy747 wrote: »
    One of the comments:

We've crossed into The Sopranos territory, here.
    Looks to me like we've crossed into special education territory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭gibraltar

The good news is that if you are shoplifting from this shop there is no need to hurry as they have no way to call the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Well yeah, if he loses it or something he can say "here, it's on YouTube" :D

So they can make "Youtube Stolen Bike Monies". Why did they ask to call the Gardaí when we all know who to call!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Bunch of scumbags..... I do hope the bike is found and returned undamaged :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is quite a difficult one for me, morally speaking - where my hatred of scumbags clashes violently with my hatred of cyclists :D

This is quite a difficult one for me, morally speaking - where my hatred of scumbags clashes violently with my hatred of cyclists :D

Maybe the owners of the bikes almost ran over the scumbags earlier that day by ignoring a red light so they came around looking for payback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Fair play to them for recording it. They don't fear the gardai because (& I know this from a scumbag member of my own family) they'll just be brought home & maybe given a JLO. No matter how many times they're caught doing it nothing will be done. Yet for some reason they do fear being recorded (actually did it recently to the member of my family & they were very wound up by it. If it stops them then why not.

Also, maybe the Tesco people were afraid to ring? There's a high chance they get hassle off these people (something I witness a lot where I live) & maybe they're afraid it'll get worse if they were to ring the gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

He cant open a lock but he can track your IP! :rolleyes:

Fairplay to that fella with the camera, that took some balls.. Would of liking to see if there was an exchange of words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Muir wrote: »
    Fair play to them for recording it. They don't fear the gardai because (& I know this from a scumbag member of my own family) they'll just be brought home & maybe given a JLO. No matter how many times they're caught doing it nothing will be done. Yet for some reason they do fear being recorded (actually did it recently to the member of my family & they were very wound up by it. If it stops them then why not.

Also, maybe the Tesco people were afraid to ring? There's a high chance they get hassle off these people (something I witness a lot where I live) & maybe they're afraid it'll get worse if they were to ring the gardai.

A Jenny from the block?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sparxz

Broad day light robbery.

These guys were amateurs. The Pros go around with vans, and heavy duty bolt cutters.
    Filling their vans then ware housing them.

The Gardai could catch them if they really wanted to.

All they have to do is put out some bait(that does not come under entrapment laws),
    follow the van, to the ware house and hay-presto.

The Gardai are too busy checking tax disks for gov revenue, to be protecting
    tax paying law abiding citizens property worth over €150(maybe up to €600).

Concerned citizens could club together and employ a private detective,
    to detect the warehouses.
    And then send the state the bill for cost to citizens to contract carry the work.

Advertisement