Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you support your team?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

When i was really young I liked the sound of Sheffield Wednesday - it just stood out. But the first team I saw where Arsenal and I just took them as my own. The first great highlight was the run of FA Cup finals in the late 70s and for many a year I used to run around pretending to be Liam Brady amongst the hoards of Liverpool/United fans that were about. In those days running into another Arsenal supporter was a rarity

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Strangely seeing Eric Cantona's infamous kung-fu kick captivated me with him (as a six year old) and I then became fascinated with Manchester United. For my next birthday I got that horrendous away jersey United played in during the 95/96 season with Cantona on the back and have followed them since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Grew up supporting Liverpool and Fortuna Köln (not F.C. Köln.. *spit* ) due to my Father.
    Started going to Longford Town many many years back and getting a car also helped in supporting them.

I have had some of the happiest / saddest moments of my life following Longford. Even now when I get to a home game and there is a dismal crowd it is still great to meet your mates and have a laugh and support your team. I cannot watch footie on TV anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Panini stickers is my reason. No football in the family so nobody to corrupt me at a young age. When I was 6/7, everyone in class was getting panini stickers for the albums, and so I went out and bought a load of packs. A few random teams, but mainly Sheffield United and Manchester United came out. Flipped a coin and thankfully it landed on heads and I never had the displeasure of supporting a team managed by Neil Warnock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle because a lad in my class supported them... He has since switched alliegances to Chelsea.

Bohs because I was asked along by a mate last year to a Europa League game. Got hooked and just kept going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I support Arsenal because I enjoy Heart attacks......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I only gained interest in football really when I was about 10. I'd played GAA for years in goal.

I got (well poached isnt the word) but convinced to take up football after there was a drought of keepers in the 7 aside age groups of my local club.

I started to play, enjoyed it and then naturally started watching goalkeepers on TV. I couldn't stop but adore Peter Schmeichal and everything he did, he was a really true idol of mine. And from there the support for United grew. For along time I just followed "players" , bought their jerseys and made sure I caught their games. It just naturally developed into support for the club as a whole.

I stopped left playing in goal every couple of seasons when nothing developed from trials, and when looking at outfield players , I fell in love with Bergkamp. Just the way he played football, it was the way I wanted to play it.

So at this point I'm a MUFC fan, but have nothing but adoration for certain players from other clubs, even if they are " hated rivals"

Strangely seeing Eric Cantona's infamous kung-fu kick captivated me with him (as a six year old) and I then became fascinated with Manchester United. For my next birthday I got that horrendous away jersey United played in during the 95/96 season with Cantona on the back and have followed them since.

I got that with Irwin :D

I have wonderful memories of watching football with my grandfather. I used to go to their house ( as they had sky sports) and stay the night, but watch the live games. I would also go over on a Monday after school and stay for MNF then get dropped into school the next morning.

The Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle game, the Cantona kick, and United beating Newscatle with Big Pete on fire, are some moments I'll never foget.

Thankfully my grandparents are alive, and now we pickup my grandad to come watch the matches in our house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

United fans, come on, let's not mess around here, its because they were the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

CSF wrote: »
    United fans, come on, let's not mess around here, its because they were the best

I hate this ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I always thought I support Liverpool because my father did, but as I've gotten older I realise he had no real interest in soccer and probably couldn't name a player bar Gerrard in the current squad, so I'm not sure why I support LFC. (This was 1992 or so)

All I know is, when you find your club, it just feels right, and all the years of not remembering us winning the league didn't matter the night they won the Champions League in 2005. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Manchester United, because my father supports them. My best friend growing up supported Liverpool, so there was always a great laugh between us.

Second team is Sheffield Wednesday. I used to love the name and the blue and white strips. I used to particularly like Chris Woods, Chris Waddle & Kevin Pressman. Also, the Sheffield derby was always broadcast on tv, and I didn't like that Sheffield United also had 'United' in their name. There was only one United to me, and it wasn't them. It's great that the fans are bat-sh!t crazy and create a great atmosphere wherever they go.
    Hyzepher wrote: »
    When i was really young I liked the sound of Sheffield Wednesday - it just stood out. But the first team I saw where Arsenal and I just took them as my own. The first great highlight was the run of FA Cup finals in the late 70s and for many a year I used to run around pretending to be Liam Brady amongst the hoards of Liverpool/United fans that were about. In those days running into another Arsenal supporter was a rarity

When I was young there was a shop that had loads of bits and pieces which invluded a Liverpool rug and a Sheffield Wednesday rug. Every time I went in I was hoping there'd be a Manchester United rug. There never was. The Liverpool and Sheffield Wednesday rugs were there until they were really faded and of no use to anyone.
    Always found it strange that the Liverpool one was left though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Support Cork City 'cause they're my home team, and me Da used work with the club so I was always surronded by it. Went to my first game when I was two months old and been supporting them solidly for the bones of 10 years now.

I use the word 'supporter' very loosely when it comes to my other team, Arsenal! I used be obsessed by them but as City and other things took over my life more they kinda took a backseat. I'll watch them when they're on and keep up to date with them but I've yet to go to a game (something I hope to change soon!). Oh, and my grandad started supporting them in the 1950's, so I'm a third generation gooner :D

I look out for other teams for a few reasons. Hellas Verona due to Tim Parks' excellent book. Cagliari and Hereford because of football manager :pac: and then a few others because I've seen the stadium on holidays, like Venezia or Fiorentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I hate this ****.
    Undeniably true though. Its hardly a coincidence that most 'football supporters' in this country support one of the two traditionally most successful teams in England. Whatever stupid reason they may claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Chelsea won the FA cup beating 'Boro 2-0 in the final.

I liked their blue kit (I was 3 years old)

And then my Dad told me I was a Chelsea fan.

And I have been ever since.

A pre-Abramovich supporter :)

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Undeniably true though. Its hardly a coincidence that most 'football supporters' in this country support one of the two traditionally most successful teams in England. Whatever stupid reason they may claim.

Do we even need to know who you support, can't see your jersey its so high up on top of that high horse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Only club I properly supported was Galway United. Went to matches often, knew a few of the players personally and volunteered on the odd occasion. Felt genuine emotion when they lost, was elated when they won (the fantastic run to the FAI Cup semi final being a highlight). Unfortunately, much like Ireland itself, the people I knew are elsewhere now and the club went to hell. I do keep myself up-to-date with the supporters group now but there just isn't the same ties to it. But that said I'll always have that nostalgia as a young lad cheering on Alan Murphy and the lads as they mauled Kilkenny City in my first match. Supported them as I was living 10 minutes away from the pitch.

I do follow Blackpool but wouldn't call myself a supporter as I've been to one match and that was when Wes Hoolahan was playing.

I hate this ****.
    So? It's still true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I didn't get into football until I was 9 or 10. Started supporting Liverpool because my older cousin supported them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I used to support my dad's old teams - Glasgow Rangers and Partick Thistle(the latter when the priest was about:))when I was younger but fell away from that when I met my husband a mad Glasgow Celtic supporter, wasn't that bothered until they signed Henrik Larson - that man changed all that. whilst I'm not as mad keen as he is - I consider myself a Celtic supporter foremost(still love Partick Thistle as my cousin is married to an explayer)and somone has to support them!

• Advertisement

So? It's still true

Have you proof?

So? It's still true

Have you proof?
    Get out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

AgileMyth wrote: »

Same with Rovers.

That they only won one league between when I started following them until 2010 rules me out though of course.

I had the choice between Pats and Rovers. Had Pats not been in Harold's Cross instead of Richmond, things could've been so scarily different.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Posted this before but I'll re-iterate my reasons. I support Bohs, by the way.

The clever chants that you probably wouldn't cop from hearing on TV.

Being a part of an electric atmosphere, as in helping to make it.

Goading and bantering off real life rival supporters in the stadium.

Knowing the club and its environs represent my part of the city, my tribe if ya wanna get poetic!

Developing camaraderie with all these loons who do it for the buzz or the love and everything inbetween.

Not having to adhere to imaginary cross-city rivalries with the Evertons and the Tottenhams of this world.

Getting to watch football in the flesh, week-in week-out.

Get out.

so your just assuming and guessing.

its the mother of all fook ups.

Get out.

so your just assuming and guessing.

its the mother of all fook ups.
    Seriously, get out. You're making a show of yourself. Dunphy arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I was 4 and I walked into the living room to see my auld fella watching a re run of the 1984 European Cup Final.

I saw Grobbelaar doing his chicken legs, laughed, and asked who he played for. Hooked ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ajax, because I saw them on tv a lot in the early 90s and played much better football than Chelsea, who my whole family supports. Went over as a kid and was amazed by the youth setup and have been hooked ever since. Play one of the purest footballing philosophies in Europe even today.

Later, Liverpool became my British team because I struggled to see Ajax games per-Internet, basically was stuck with a 5min tops segment on eurogoals a week. Pool had a similar history and strong support.

My dream is to go to see an Ajax v Liverpool game. Ajax always number 1 for me, amazing club with amazing attitude and great tradition of encouraging to play good football at all ages

Seriously, get out. You're making a show of yourself. Dunphy arguments.

na your just assuming everything.

Sure look at Sligo and Shamrock Rovers in Ireland. does that make them glory hunters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I was born in Leeds and we lived in Beeston, basically within the shadow of Elland Road. Dad used to pass it every morning on his way to work. I spent only the first few years of my life there before we moved back to Ireland. But from as early as I can remember I have followed them and always kept on eye out for them of a Saturday on Ceefax results. This was back in the late 80's.

Cos they were a division 2 side I "had" to have a div 1 team for school reasons.... and because all the other sheep followed either Liverpool or Man U I picked Villa, and Everton to a lesser extent. Have a soft spot for the under dog me and still follow their results with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

My folks went out to dinner in 1989, i would have been ten years old. They asked the girl who lived across the road, Yvonne - i'll always remember her- if she'd babysit for the night. I think i fancied her, the way a ten year old can. I begged her to let me stay up "late" (past about 8pm) and she let me watch a match on TV.
    Liverpool were playing Arsenal, i preferred the red jersey of Liverpool so i sided with them. Some guy called Michael Thomas popped up and scored at the end, it seemed a big deal. Anyway, i was hooked, we won the league the next year, i thought "wow, this is easy, last season's loss to Aresnal on the final day must have been a one-off, Liverpool seem to win it every year.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

First of all, I thought, this thread is only about EPL teams, am getting old, I guess :rolleyes:

There is of course Borussia Dortmund, they are my home team, and I will support them, where ever I am.

Celtic, because of Murdo McLeod and the fact, that both teams met in 1986 (UEFA Cup), Borussia's and Celtic's fans have close bonds ever since.

And there is three more team, I have a strong soft spot on:
    1. St.Pauli (sort of political reasons)
    2. Athletic Bilbao (see St.Pauli)
    3. Shels (Tolka Park is round the corner, the Bar is great and I like songs like 'You're only here to see Shelbourne;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

So? It's still true
    it's true maybe if you started watching football in 1993

Anyone who labels a united supporter a glory hunter if they have supported them prior to 1992 is just either oblivious to the record books or just a bit dull.

Leftist wrote: »
    it's true maybe if you started watching football in 1993

Anyone who labels a united supporter a glory hunter if they have supported them prior to 1992 is just either oblivious to the record books or just a bit dull.

True, its just cheap shots for no reason and its like saying more City fans in Manchester then United.

Every club as their glory hunters including his beloved Shels.

some seem to have a snobbish out look on those who support 'epl' teams. Although that term is cringeworthy.

many of us grew up as kids without access to LOI. It wasn't on telly either when I was a childer. Even in print english football was given far greater attention. Can't blame the kids in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Omackeral wrote: »
    Posted this before but I'll re-iterate my reasons. I support Bohs, by the way.

The clever chants that you probably wouldn't cop from hearing on TV.

Being a part of an electric atmosphere, as in helping to make it.

Goading and bantering off real life rival supporters in the stadium.

Knowing the club and its environs represent my part of the city, my tribe if ya wanna get poetic!

Developing camaraderie with all these loons who do it for the buzz or the love and everything inbetween.

Not having to adhere to imaginary cross-city rivalries with the Evertons and the Tottenhams of this world.

Getting to watch football in the flesh, week-in week-out.

Thr thread doesnt ask "why do you support locsl football."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Torquay United. The Gulls.

Late 80's on Saint n' Greavsie heard the tune to "Nice one Cyrill" as Cyrill Knowles had just taken charge at Plainmoor. Had seen footage of him as left back previously for Spurs and liked his style. Big focus on Torquay on the programe that day so basically after that, just kept a look out for them.

Used to write (remember that, writing letters?) to club at pre season and get poor quality photocopy of team photo, signed, every year. Still have them to this day.
    Also, if you email the chairman, he replies in person, quickly. Like he has f**k all else to do that day anyway.:D:D

Have been to Wembley a good bit in recent times to see them..... More than my Premier**** mates and their money made teams. All my kids have their own mini jerseys too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Leftist wrote: »
    some seem to have a snobbish out look on those who support 'epl' teams. Although that term is cringeworthy.

many of us grew up as kids without access to LOI. It wasn't on telly either when I was a childer. Even in print english football was given far greater attention. Can't blame the kids in that respect.

Can still go now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

1977 FA Cup Final. Chose to support Liverpool in that match because I had relatives there and had visited them just a few years before. Liverpool lost to United on the day but I continued to follow the Pool with passion and pride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

didnt have much choice in the matter my mom(a big united fan) brought me to old trafford when i was 6. went to the cliff training ground met a whole host of the players. my mom points out a little ginger player about 18 at the time and says to me go get his autograph he is going be a great and that he was and still is :-D then met keane and irwin in manchester airport on the way back to ireland as they were playing an international. an air stewardess brought me over to them. after that trip to manchest how could i not be a united fan. oh and the game we beat city 5-0 :-) Kanchelskis hat trick and one each from cantona and hughes

SantryRed wrote: »
    Can still go now?

but that would mean, for me, transfering my loyality from one team to another.

As I get older I regret not growing up supporting a local team but getting this far supporting a team since 6/7 years of age, i'm not giving that up to watch LOI. And I can't anyway due to emigration.

Thr thread doesnt ask "why do you support locsl local football."

Yeah, it says why do you support your team. I gave my reasons. Each one of them logical, unless, I've missed something? I'd wager the majority of people support their teams for similiar reasons?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd wager the majority of people support their teams for similiar reasons?:confused:

On here?
    Don't be silly!

Eirebear wrote: »
    On here?
    Don't be silly!

Sorry, I meant fans around the world in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Man United because the adults influences in my formative years were all United fans so I got given United stuff a lot of the time.

Shamrock Rovers because they were the first LoI team I saw live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I support Limerick because I was born and raised here. The club represents my community.

I support Liverpool because my older brothers did. They probably supported them because they were successful at the time. Much like how there's so many Man U supporters in their twenties.

When choosing a team to support in another country as a five year old kid, you generally don't pick a team for any good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Started supporting Arsenal when I was 8 in the 92/93 season, Arsenal v Leeds was on tv, as my father was an avid Leeds fan I went for Arsenal for the laugh and I just stuck with them. Also, being 8, I found it funny that the word Arse was in the name. (In the 95/96 season the away jersey had Arsenal written on the bottom of the back of the jersey, I took great pleasure in stripping the "nal" off!)

Towards the end of the 92/93 season, apart from one Chelsea fan I was the only person in my class supporting a club. Once that season finished everyone (including the Chelsea fan) in my class all of a sudden supported Man United, who just so happened to have just won their first league title in 26 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Rangers fans are born, not manufactured. That, plus an early stage of man-love for Ally McCoist.

I like Arsenal as well - due to Pat Jennings and Liam Brady mainly back in the day - as I recall wanting them to beat Ipswich Town in the 1978 FA Cup final.

Disappointed at the shock defeat that year, but loved it the following season when a Brady-inspired Gunners won 3-2 against Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

My grandad supported Bohs. The same one played for Bohs, he brought his kids, including my Dad. My Dad brought me and here I am 11 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I support UCD to cure my fear of wide open spaces

• Advertisement
Advertisement