Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you support your team?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Thr thread doesnt ask "why do you support locsl football."

He answered the question why he supports the team he does. Don't feel like an inadequate fan only because he has better reasons to support his team then you do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

BOHtox wrote: »
    I support UCD to cure my fear of wide open spaces

You could also support Shels, if it goes on like that. 442 againt Cherry Orchard. Do I have to say more? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

In the first game I saw they beat my dad's team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Granda has been a Leeds fan since he was a kid. None of this "Support whoever you want" nonsense ! You're born a Leeds fan and that's that in our house. Will be the same for any future kids of mine too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't think it's as simple as "I supported them because they were the best" for teams like United and Liverpool. Most people will support a club because of who their family supports. Maybe your dad supported them because they were the best but after that, you support who your parents support. Leeds are a good example. It's been a long time since they were close to the best but I still see young kids with Leeds jerseys on. Has to be a family thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I don't think it's as simple as "I supported them because they were the best" for teams like United and Liverpool. Most people will support a club because of who their family supports. Maybe your dad supported them because they were the best but after that, you support who your parents support. Leeds are a good example. It's been a long time since they were close to the best but I still see young kids with Leeds jerseys on. Has to be a family thing.

I have to say fair play to the Dads who insist on the weans growing up Leeds fans. No glory-hunting for them, just tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I have to say fair play to the Dads who insist on the weans growing up Leeds fans. No glory-hunting for them, just tradition.

i'll be brain washing my kids the same way my mom did to me and my brother and sister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

I support Drogheda united because i am actually from the town and wanted to support my own . I actually became more hardcore and really into it when i realized just how despised the club where by lots of the football loving people in the town . When i say football loving i mean of the tv viewing variety and not actually supporting anyone but the guy who owns the bar :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Because of my da. Nothing special, he's supported them since the 70's so it was an obligation that I followed suit.

What annoys me about the Irish contingent of PL fans is the ridiculous comments that you hear/see:

a) You're a scouse or manc c*nt for supporting Manchester United/Liverpool - No you're not. You're not even nearly from the area. Shut up and don't be stupid.
    b) "Manchester United fans don't come from Manchester" - Says the Liverpool fan in Dundrum or the City fan in Belfast - Despite that statement being proven false it's also cringe-worthy to hear.
    c) The Irish flags you see in Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge etc. - No I don't give a f*ck that the regulars from Christy's Bar in Walkinstown are in Old Trafford and you certainly don't need to write it on a tricolour.

In all fairness you see the same thing all over the place, Union Jacks with such-an-such a place on it at games. It's no big deal it's just about giving the mates back home something to look out for on tv on match day!! i don't think anyone cares if it was written on a tricolor, union jack or a giant girls blouse, it's just a bit of craic. Leave them be, no harm done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

My uncle grew up supporting Leeds and true no glory-hunting passing it down but i'm sure the fact when those fans were younger, Leeds had the likes of Giles, Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner etc and were one of the best teams in England, i suppose they were no different to us when it came to picking a team when young!! Go for the good ones!

Norwich have been a team close to my heart for a long time but that only came form their epic 1993 season when as an 11 year old i was enthralled by the david v goliath rollercoaster, will never forget Jeremy Goss's volley!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

My dad's a Gooner and when I was 6 he brought me out to buy my first football kit. I remember looking at them and choosing the red one. It turned out to be Liverpool. To think that things could have been so different...

:eek:

Advertisement