Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent advice needed ASAP!

• 22-08-2012 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've just been stuck down very ill very suddenly, so bad I cant make it to my repeat exam in the morning. I physically cannot move or function right now and I'm just getting sick everywhere. I have a repeat in the morning at 9.30am. Is there anything that can be done that can allow me to possibly sit it next week on Monday or anything like that? I really cant afford to fail this exam but I am so sick I cant sit it. If I fail, I'm out of college like. Can anything be done to avoid this?

Please help!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Ok, I've just been stuck down very ill very suddenly, so bad I cant make it to my repeat exam in the morning. I physically cannot move or function right now and I'm just getting sick everywhere. I have a repeat in the morning at 9.30am. Is there anything that can be done that can allow me to possibly sit it next week on Monday or anything like that? I really cant afford to fail this exam but I am so sick I cant sit it. If I fail, I'm out of college like. Can anything be done to avoid this?

Please help!

Get one of your family to ring the Exams/records office first thing in the morning and explain the situation. Make sure they speak to someone in charge. They might arrange something for you with the Department in question i.e new exam paper, venue etc. Contacting them after the exam won't be viewed very sympathetically. Important thing is to get well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Get one of your family to ring the Exams/records office first thing in the morning and explain the situation. Make sure they speak to someone in charge. They might arrange something for you with the Department in question i.e new exam paper, venue etc. Contacting them after the exam won't be viewed very sympathetically. Important thing is to get well.

I'm super stressed about this like, and I cant be the only one in this position like. Just freaking out because I'm so sick as well which is making it worse. I'll call the exams office in the morning, see what they say. I'm hoping the Philosophy department are feeling nice and will allow me to do the two papers next week. I really badly need this like!

phoenix999 wrote: »

To reply to you... no, they made me come in and sit the exams. Gave me an hour extra study time which did nothing and said a doctors note will only help for max 10 marks. Fairly crazy. I'm back repeating first year again afink. Bloody university rules :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Wow that's terrible - some tough rules there. Sorry to hear it. Do you think you may have passed at all?

Wow that's terrible - some tough rules there. Sorry to hear it. Do you think you may have passed at all?

Nah, my head went dead in the exams. I was at the stage where I couldnt function like. If they asked me the same info right now, I'd be able to list everything off them, but due to the rules, I'm stuck in this position. Its a bit crazy and tough, but nothing I can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

If its any help to you I'm pretty sure the doctors note will help you get the tuition fees waived for a repeat.(If you failed that is)

Are you serious? :O I've never heard of that before...

You need to apply to the mitigation committee first(link for form below).With a doctors note you should be ok.They will let you know if your appeal for waiver of capitation is successful.Then forward the letter of waiver of capitation of marks to the fees office.It's not your fault you were sick so hopefully they will look after you
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/exams/procedures-regulations/mitigation/MitigationApplicationForm-2011-2mar.pdf

I'll fill that in also. Thank you. Tbh, I'm just hoping the University take pity on me and send me up, I've gotten three letters sent in all of which are valid. Exceptional case like, so I'm hoping they'll bend the rules for me...

We can hope :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

haha reminds me of my brother, when he played a shinty match (like hurling but scottish XD) and broke his leg (severly) but he hadnt time to go to the doctor, so he went straight to his exam with ha severly painful broken leg ... and actually passed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Neddy21

Sorry to butt in but I don't really know how to use this and have a question in relation to repeat examinations! I'm studying CK402 in UCC and I had a repeat there last Friday in Maths and I wasn't very confident coming out of it....it's a 10 credit module and I was wondering if I do fail is there any way of compensating it or moving on to second year!?!

I actually don't think there is unless you have a serious reason (medical,death in family,etc).You should speak to your relevant department after you get your results.Best of luck with it

Neddy21 wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in but I don't really know how to use this and have a question in relation to repeat examinations! I'm studying CK402 in UCC and I had a repeat there last Friday in Maths and I wasn't very confident coming out of it....it's a 10 credit module and I was wondering if I do fail is there any way of compensating it or moving on to second year!?!

CK402... isnt that BioChem? Maths is a 15 credit module and you can get a compensation pass if you recieved 30% or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Neddy21

CK402... isnt that BioChem? Maths is a 15 credit module and you can get a compensation pass if you recieved 30% or higher.

Yeah its biochem and double checked there its a 10 credit module....do you have to look for compensation and does it apply to repeats!?

Yeah its biochem and double checked there its a 10 credit module....do you have to look for compensation and does it apply to repeats!?

I didnt even realise that and I did Biochem two years ago... worst year of my life :P Nah, it'll apply on yere results. Just make sure you get over 30% in the paper. You think you did?

Advertisement