Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Footie at Park Tailteann

Options
  • 22-08-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any links or details to this, supposed to be on Friday 31st Aug.
    Anyone know ticket outlets, game times. Have to get to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's a double header of American football high school games.

http://www.tickets.ie/events.aspx/search?s=gift2012

Think it's 15 euro for an adult and a tenner for students

• Registered Users Posts: 41 treefour

qthLC

There's also a DV8 double header in Trim GAA this Sunday.
    AWH9g

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Red Star Bellend

Just shows how hypocritical the GAA can be at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Just shows how hypocritical the GAA can be at times.

Absolutely. Totally controvenes Rule 5.1

Rule 5.1 states: "All property including grounds, clubhouses, halls, dressing-rooms and handball alleys owned or controlled by units of the Association shall be used only for the purpose of, or in connection with, the playing of games controlled by the Association".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It only applies to 'rival sports' really, American football is not competition to hurling or football. It seems slightly arbitrary and hypocritical, but it's the right decision to not facilitate your biggest rivals.

Some people just leap at the opportunity to slate the GAA no matter what they do. If these games werent held in Trim and Páirc Tailteann, where else would they be held so that meath people dont have to travel far to see them?

• Advertisement

Crab Revolution, I ****e green and gold, I played GAA since I was knee height to a grasshopper, I still play, played in Trim and Navan 100 times plus, for club and county, don't think because you or indeed I deem ourselves 'Gaels' that we can defend something so hypocritial. The GAA is full of hypocracy, its full of ad hocracy. It is truely amateur when it comes to administering its rules, especially in Meath. What's the point in having a rule in a rule book if its not adhered to, either get rid of it or implement it.

'Rival Sports' where did you pull that muck out of? Were you the lad in the Celtic jersey holding the banner outside Croker?!? What you are saying is pure bigotry and nothing more. The GAA has more to fear from people like you within the organisation that people outside of it that people like you think are trying to take it down. Soccer, Rugby, do you really think the 55 clubs of Meath have anything to fear from the MDL or the 3 Towns Cup Rugby teams in the county? Ridiculous!

Where should Meath people go to see other sports? Other Stadia - within organisations which don't have rules banning 'foreign' games! Rule 5.1 is black and white, and holding American Football in Navan is in clear breach of it.

Even the wording of rule 5.1 is fairly ambiguous. Who's to say what will benefit the GAA in the long run? Say american Football grows massively in popularity and becomes a rival of GAA. Would they hold it then? (I know that will never happen but an interesting thought all the same).

That rule basically might as well say "We'll decide on a case by case basis what's played on our pitches and if there's a few pound in it for us then play away".

The rule also does not address soccer teams (uninsured) training on astros on GAA premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I personally could not give a flying funk about GAA rules or regulations.

Whatever brings much needed revenue into Navan and Trim towns in the middle of a recession is good enough for me.

Be it revenue into the grounds itself, the catering outlets or even the local corner shops or takeaways around the grounds... its all badly needed revenue no matter what.

Red Star, are you serious?! Its couldn't be any less ambiguous ffs it says GAA grounds for GAA use only, no derogation...case by case basis where are you getting that from...?

I agree though, I'd like to see rid of Rule 5.1. Stupid rule. The organisation should have a rule that allows it decide on a case by case basis, and it should be written that way. All Rule 5.1 does, is, as you said, makes the GAA look like hypocrites.

happygoose wrote: »
    Red Star, are you serious?! Its couldn't be any less ambiguous ffs it says GAA grounds for GAA use only, no derogation...case by case basis where are you getting that from...?

I agree though, I'd like to see rid of Rule 5.1. Stupid rule. The organisation should have a rule that allows it decide on a case by case basis, and it should be written that way. All Rule 5.1 does, is, as you said, makes the GAA look like hypocrites.
    Uses of Property
    (a) All property including grounds, Club Houses, Halls,
    Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or
    controlled by units of the Association shall be used
    only for the purpose of or in connection with the
    playing of the Games controlled by the Association,
    and for such other purposes not in conflict with
    the Aims and Objects of the Association, that may
    be sanctioned from time to time by the Central
    Council.

That's the ambiguous bit. You only partially quoted rule 5.1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DarrenLamb

Can't wait for this. Me mates picking me up in a van.

Advertisement