Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - Did terrible in 5th year!

• 22-08-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I've decided to get this off my chest as it's being annoying me for a while and i've been looking to see what others can suggest to me.

Right long story short, I didn't work at all during 5th year physics and 6th is just around the corner, If i put in the effort and study this year (planning to do at least 10 hours of study mon-fri with 2 of them hours being dedicated to physics) Would I be able to earn a great grade? I'm confident I can but anyone else here wanna give me some advise on this please? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SarahMc0

Thophder wrote: »
    I've decided to get this off my chest as it's being annoying me for a while and i've been looking to see what others can suggest to me.

Right long story short, I didn't work at all during 5th year physics and 6th is just around the corner, If i put in the effort and study this year (planning to do at least 10 hours of study mon-fri with 2 of them hours being dedicated to physics) Would I be able to earn a great grade? I'm confident I can but anyone else here wanna give me some advise on this please? :(

I was in the exact same position as you last year :) To be fair, I stayed on top of things until about November, but after that I just got completely lost! I stayed pretty lost until after the mocks, but when I got 20% in those I knew I had a bit of a problem. I ended up doing most of my work in the last two weeks of school but it paid off as I ended up getting a B3 :D Obviously, I'd recommend that you try to stick to your plan- I think if you stick with it you could end up with a seriously good grade! Just remember to study in a way that suits you, and don't let yourself get burnt out! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Thophder

SarahMc0 wrote: »
    I was in the exact same position as you last year :) To be fair, I stayed on top of things until about November, but after that I just got completely lost! I stayed pretty lost until after the mocks, but when I got 20% in those I knew I had a bit of a problem. I ended up doing most of my work in the last two weeks of school but it paid off as I ended up getting a B3 :D Obviously, I'd recommend that you try to stick to your plan- I think if you stick with it you could end up with a seriously good grade! Just remember to study in a way that suits you, and don't let yourself get burnt out! :p

Thank you Sarah! :D After reading that post, It's given me some hope in getting a great grade in my LC. I'll be focusing on Physics throughout the whole study plan & hopefully it will pay-off.

Thank you Sarah! :D After reading that post, It's given me some hope in getting a great grade in my LC. I'll be focusing on Physics throughout the whole study plan & hopefully it will pay-off.

No bother, and I hope you get what you're looking for! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

No bother, and I hope you get what you're looking for! :)

For what's it worth I failed in the mocks and got a B2 in the real thing.

If you near Dublin I'd suggest the Easter Revision course in the institute. Was brilliant. -Think it was 2 or 3 hours long.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    For what's it worth I failed in the mocks and got a B2 in the real thing.

If you near Dublin I'd suggest the Easter Revision course in the institute. Was brilliant. -Think it was 2 or 3 hours long.

Thank's again Sarah & Vuz I'll be sure to check that out what institute? I'll find out if my parents will let me make my way there some day to check it out! :)

• Advertisement

Thank's again Sarah & Vuz I'll be sure to check that out what institute? I'll find out if my parents will let me make my way there some day to check it out! :)

I'd say Leeson Street? I used the Exam Edge book, I thought it was great because it shows you how to answer questions better than the marking schemes!

I'd say Leeson Street? I used the Exam Edge book, I thought it was great because it shows you how to answer questions better than the marking schemes!

Alright thank you. And by any chance have you held onto this Exam Edge book? Where can i obtain one? Easons?

Alright thank you. And by any chance have you held onto this Exam Edge book? Where can i obtain one? Easons?

Yeah it's available in a lot of book shops. There's one for chemistry as well. It's a thin A4 book, with black and greeny-blue, and it'll definitely be less than a tenner! They're amazing books...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I was the same. I was practically sleeping in 5th yea Physics and only copped on a bit in 6th year. I got 40% in the mocks, just about. After that I really committed to doing Physics properly, we covered the much easier modern physics chapters and I got an A2 in the LC.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    I was the same. I was practically sleeping in 5th yea Physics and only copped on a bit in 6th year. I got 40% in the mocks, just about. After that I really committed to doing Physics properly, we covered the much easier modern physics chapters and I got an A2 in the LC.

Alright thank you again sarah I'll have my mother look out for the book today :) And Sub that's pretty much what I was like throughout 5th, I plan on committing myself to my full potential this year since it's my LC. Thanks this post has put some more confidence into my mind! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Physics FTW

Definitely stick with it, if you keep with your plan you should be fine. I don't know about your class but in mine we were flying along, we had the course finished a week after the mocks so needless to say we had plenty of revision time doing exam papers etc so you'll probably have at least 2 months of school with your coursework covered. So anyway if you keep on top of i it will be downhill after the course is covered and you should pull a good grade out of this. Just keep your determination and you'll be fine.

Sorry for the block of text.

Definitely stick with it, if you keep with your plan you should be fine. I don't know about your class but in mine we were flying along, we had the course finished a week after the mocks so needless to say we had plenty of revision time doing exam papers etc so you'll probably have at least 2 months of school with your coursework covered. So anyway if you keep on top of i it will be downhill after the course is covered and you should pull a good grade out of this. Just keep your determination and you'll be fine.

Sorry for the block of text.

Thanks! :D The block of text is not a problem for my eyes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

There is a good chance that 5th year was spent mostly on the mechanics side of physics, or another one of your weak areas. You have options on the exam paper which will allow you to choose certain questions. Familiarise yourself with the exam papers and their format, and concentrate on the questions that you enjoy.

You might also prefer to use some of the online resources for physics.
    http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie/leavingcertphysicshome.html
    http://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics

Owen_S wrote: »
    There is a good chance that 5th year was spent mostly on the mechanics side of physics, or another one of your weak areas. You have options on the exam paper which will allow you to choose certain questions. Familiarise yourself with the exam papers and their format, and concentrate on the questions that you enjoy.

You might also prefer to use some of the online resources for physics.
    http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie/leavingcertphysicshome.html
    http://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics

Thank you for the site. I've got the Exam Edge book on my mind as-well for when I'm not using the laptop/Internet for information.

Thanks all and more suggestions are welcome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Creative Enthusiast

Has the Physics curriculum changed at all for 2013? Or is the same as the previous year and the year before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Shocking subject I really regretted picking it as an option. Very hard to get an A in it still have nightmares about that paper in June...

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Shocking subject I really regretted picking it as an option. Very hard to get an A in it still have nightmares about that paper in June...

What grade did you get? I don't regret picking it but it's indeed very hard if you don't follow the teacher at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Creative Enthusiast

Has it changed at all?

I remember Irish and Maths changed last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

No, Physics hasn't changed. Although one thing did change - they are not giving constants you will need at the bottom of the problem on exam papers, you have to find them yourself in the log tables. Having these constants written was very handy because you would have an idea which formulas to use.

My parents went to tallaght today and couldn't find the book so they told me to look online for a place to buy it. Cheapest I could find was :

http://schoolbooksdirect.ie/secondary-books/leaving-cert/physics/exam-edge-physics

It was published in 2010. Is this the correct one? Should I buy it from here (As in, Are SBD.ie reliable?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

http://www.khanacademy.org/ Incredible website! Use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

What grade did you get? I don't regret picking it but it's indeed very hard if you don't follow the teacher at all times.

I got a B3 so i didnt do particularly badly but I totally lost interest in the subject half way through the year. Its a pity because I did T.Y.P.E. in trinity during ty and really liked it :(

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    I got a B3 so i didnt do particularly badly but I totally lost interest in the subject half way through the year. Its a pity because I did T.Y.P.E. in trinity during ty and really liked it :(

That's a good grade! :) Anyway doe's anyone wanna confirm my post regrading if the exam edge physics book that was published in 2010 is the correct one to obtain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Get past exam papers early, read over them so you'll be able to reconise when your doing an exam question. Remember to stay exam focused, get your notes in order and always have your past papers there to refer to and ask questions from the past papers in relation to what your doing in class when you can.
    Its up to you but you can still do it once you dont take your eye of the ball.
    Stay focused and never give up.
    Give it the best shot you can!
    Good luck!

shanered wrote: »
    Get past exam papers early, read over them so you'll be able to reconise when your doing an exam question. Remember to stay exam focused, get your notes in order and always have your past papers there to refer to and ask questions from the past papers in relation to what your doing in class when you can.
    Its up to you but you can still do it once you dont take your eye of the ball.
    Stay focused and never give up.
    Give it the best shot you can!
    Good luck!

Thank you Shane for your post, I do keep on sticking to my exam table & and doing the 10 hours every week with 2 of them being physics... Thanks! :)

Advertisement