Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Football Reconstruction (Mod Note #55)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

There'll be a niche in the market for a wee machine that belts out Billy Boys and pelts the opposition fans with coins and lighters. To Dragon's Den!

Really that would be instead of one that pelts players with lighters and refs with coins. Did they ever get the guy that hit Ricksen with the lighter after all they promised they would

Dempsey wrote: »
    I dont think he's really thinking about pulling the plug, he's just talking shíte like he normally does. I'm saying that he couldnt even carry out his idle threat even if he wanted to. I hope the rest of the SFL call him out over it and then we see what shíte he comes up with next.

It is not a threat it is an opinion thought you would be able to tell the difference. Guess I was wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Really that would be instead of one that pelts players with lighters and refs with coins. Did they ever get the guy that hit Ricksen with the lighter after all they promised they would

They did, he got a season ticket! :pac:
    It is not a threat it is an opinion thought you would be able to tell the difference. Guess I was wrong

Its an idle threat about the league reconstruction. Lets see what he says when the vote goes through, I'm sure you'll be defending him anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hasn't he a point though? What's the point if there's no promotion, relegation etc etc?

snaps wrote: »
    Hasn't he a point though? What's the point if there's no promotion, relegation etc etc?

What about for the greater good of Scottish Football? They are the only club vehemently against league reconstruction. Financially they'll be better off under the new proposals even if they are in the bottom divison. Its not like they are going to get to the SPL any quicker or slower!

They did, he got a season ticket! :pac:

Its an idle threat about the league reconstruction. Lets see what he says when the vote goes through, I'm sure you'll be defending him anyways

Once again its not a threat its an opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Apparently one cannot make threats while voicing an opinion.

What about for the greater good of Scottish Football? They are the only club vehemently against league reconstruction

Once again you don't know this for a fact a lot of clubs have said nothing so far. Just because he has said it doesn't mean others are not thinking it. Unless of course you have spoken to all the chairmen and got there views. Many will be wanting more information

Once again its not a threat its an opinion

Its a threat to stop playing matches if the proposal goes through, basically to disrupt the season, cause financial hardship for the other clubs that they are suppose to play. Its a scaremongering tactic to the other clubs in SFL3 and I hope they all call him out over it, one by one, because there is not a hope hell of him doing anything of the sort! He's a spoofer!

• Advertisement

Apparently one cannot make threats while voicing an opinion.

Oh you can but if you think there is anything threatening in what he has said you must have led a very sheltered life ;)

Once again you don't know this for a fact a lot of clubs have said nothing so far. Just because he has said it doesn't mean others are not thinking it. Unless of course you have spoken to all the chairmen and got there views. Many will be wanting more information

At this moment in time, Sevco are the only club vehemently against it.

At this moment in time, Sevco are the only club vehemently against it.

There is no such club but if you are happy talking nonsense who am I to go against you ;)

Jim Spence ‏@bbcjimspence

At least 7 first division clubs will vote for new league of 12-12-18 if convinced by a fairer wealth distribution model and voting rights.
    Thomas McGuigan ‏@BBCthomasmcg

RT @bbcsportsound: Charles Green, Peter Lawwell & 3 SFL chairmen on reconstruction & the latest on Terry Butcher. BBC 810MW at 6:10pm

Get the popcorn ready!

Its a threat to stop playing matches if the proposal goes through, basically to disrupt the season, cause financial hardship for the other clubs that they are suppose to play. Its a scaremongering tactic to the other clubs in SFL3 and I hope they all call him out over it, one by one, because there is not a hope hell of him doing anything of the sort! He's a spoofer!

In no way is it a threat you would like it to be but your wrong he is stating his opinion ie "We might as well have a winter break now til next August.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

It's not a threat, it's a normal question.

Since promotion this season doesn't mean anything, what's the point ?

I'm sure fans of other teams (who are fighting for promotion) have asked themselves the same question.

Funny though, as soon as Rangers voice their opinion against it it's not such a bad idea anymore.

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    It's not a threat, it's a normal question.

Since promotion this season doesn't mean anything, what's the point ?

I'm sure fans of other teams have asked themselves the same question.

Funny though, as soon as Rangers voice their opinion against it it's not such a bad idea anymore.

No other club has come out and threatened to stop playing, no other club is currently against reconstruction

My concerns about the proposed setup dont in any way impinge on what I'm saying about Charles Green or his stance to league reconstruction and his threat to stop playing because his club is the only one capable of taking the financial hit.

NOBODY THREATENED ANYTHING.

ffs.

Oh you can but if you think there is anything threatening in what he has said you must have led a very sheltered life ;)
    I think you are getting the wrong end of the stick as to the word "threat". A threat does not always imply violence or something sinister. It can simply be a promise or warning of hostile action. Green withdrawing his franchise from Scottish football in reaction to something he does not like is a hostile action.

Maybe you've led a life sheltered from education?

No other club has come out and threatened to stop playing, no other club is currently against reconstruction

My concerns about the proposed setup dont in any way impinge on what I'm saying about Charles Green or his stance to league reconstruction and his threat to stop playing because his club is the only one capable of taking the financial hit.

How many times he hasn't threatened he has said in his opinion we would be as well having a winter break from now till August. No where does he say I am pulling the plug and we are not playing any more games

I think you are getting the wrong end of the stick as to the word "threat". A threat does not always imply violence or something sinister. It can simply be a promise or warning of hostile action. Green withdrawing his franchise from Scottish football in reaction to something he does not like is a hostile action.

Maybe you've led a life sheltered from education?

Sorry a threat implies someone is going to take some sort of action. No where in his statement does he do that he gives an opinion Surely threatening to stop playing games would be regarded as sinister

As for your second bit your not worth a ban

• Advertisement

How many times he hasn't threatened he has said in his opinion we would be as well having a winter break from now till August. No where does he say I am pulling the plug and we are not playing any more games

My original point is that he cant pull the plug unless he wants to take a huge financial hit, he can only talk shíte about wanting to do it.

My original point is that he cant pull the plug unless he wants to take a huge financial hit, he can only talk shíte about wanting to do it.

He can give an opinion that he sees the rest of the season as pointless which is very sensible as it is true

He can give an opinion that he sees the rest of the season as pointless which is very sensible as it is true

But its not pointless and its not sensible, he has bills to pay, sponsorship/season tickets to honour and commitments to the SFL to see through. Whats the punishment for not willing to fulfil matches? I'm not fully up to speed on SFL rules

But its not pointless and its not sensible, he has bills to pay, sponsorship/season tickets to honour and commitments to the SFL to see through. Whats the punishment for not able or willing to fulfil matches?

He did not say he was going to do any such thing you really are reading what you want he clearly says that if this is going to be the case we would as well have a break to August. Not I am putting a halt to Rangers playing anymore games.
    And round and round we go:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Charles green should play the games to 1 honour the season tickets 2 to allow the season to be played out as planned fixture wise 3 to make money 4 to provide entertainment (like his statements really) and 5 because he has **** all choice

The man needs to end his seige mentality

As for your second bit your not worth a ban
    Not when I'm rephrasing what you've just said to me anyway ;)

He did not say he was going to do any such thing you really are reading what you want he clearly says that if this is going to be the case we would as well have a break to August. Not I am putting a halt to Rangers playing anymore games.
    And round and round we go:p

Several reputable media outlets are now reporting his comments today as a 'threat'. Looks like I'm not the only one that saw his comments as a 'threat' to do something if league reconstruction happens :rolleyes:

Several reputable media outlets are now reporting his comments today as a 'threat'. Looks like I'm not the only one that saw his comments as a 'threat' to do something if league reconstruction happens :rolleyes:

Ah so the media are now the bastion of truth or should that be when the cap fits ;)

Would that be the same reputable media outlets you're hating on when they portray Celtic in a negative light ?

Ah so the media are now the bastion of truth or should that be when the cap fits ;)

Lets not go that far but when several of them are describing the same press conference in the same way then you kinda have to take stock, no? Maybe its time you looked up the meaning of the word because its a valid description of what he said from the point of view of everyone else in Scottish Football.

• Advertisement

Lets not go that far but when several of them are describing the same press conference in the same way then you kinda have to take stock, no? Maybe its time you looked up the meaning of the word because its a valid description of what he said from the point of view of everyone else in Scottish Football.

Sorry everyone else, so you know the views of everyone else in Scottish football :pac:

No I am capable of making my own mind up I don't need the media who change their minds more than their underwear. The whole threat bit is because he says he would like a way out of Scottish football big deal Lawlell has said it more than one and there has not been this totally over the top response.

Charles green should play the games to 1 honour the season tickets 2 to allow the season to be played out as planned fixture wise 3 to make money 4 to provide entertainment (like his statements really) and 5 because he has **** all choice

The man needs to end his seige mentality

He was never not going to play the games really and truly over the top reactions from people who should know better(thats not aimed at you but the whole feeding frenzy thats going on)

As for siege mentality it is not really surprising when the two main powers at be used blackmail when Rangers wished to play football

A Rangers fan who isn't swallowing everything the media shovels them. Now that is progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Peter Lawell states that he's looking into ways out of Scottish Football for his own club?
    Good on him, well done, we need to look at all these avenues.

Charles green states that he will reccomend that his board does similar and voices opposition to the plans for reconstruction?
    What a ridiculous idiot he is, Rangers fans are animals, horrible way to behave.

Seriously lads, once again the nature of Scottish football fans rears it's ugly head.

Sadly, this time i fear that Green has done the SPL's bidding for them - instead of questioning the logic behind the 12-12-18, people are now questioning Green.
    Instead of questioning the positions of Doncaster, Regan and Longmuir, Supporters of Scotland's two biggest clubs are drawing their battle lines behind one and other's Chairman's statements and having pops at eachother.

Personally i take absolutely no issue with what Green has said, it's been no secret that Rangers and celtic have wanted out, for a variety of reasons for nearly 3 decades now.
    Will it happen? i doubt it.
    What i take issue with is his timing, instead of concentrating on the task at hand - reconstruction - he is going in at the deep end again. He should have voiced his concerns and left it at that, because the legitimate concerns that he addressed, are largely being ignored by this idea that Rangers are threatening not to play games and run away from Scotland.

I agree, the streamlining of the governing bodies is essential, and long overdue, however given the disaster after disaster that Regan and Doncaster have wandered into over the years, and their downright incompetence at handling them, they should not be put in charge of anything.

The 12-12-18 i don;t like in the slightest, but it will be pushed through and once again, the fans will suffer.

A Rangers fan who isn't swallowing everything the media shovels them. Now that is progress.

Really do you live on the moon and only pay a visit to planet earth now and again If you think that its either that or whatever substances you are taking

Sorry everyone else, so you know the views of everyone else in Scottish football :pac:

No I am capable of making my own mind up I don't need the media who change their minds more than their underwear. The whole threat bit is because he says he would like a way out of Scottish football big deal Lawlell has said it more than one and there has not been this totally over the top response.

I didnt need the media either, just noticed they were describing it the same way. You were trying to make out like I'm suffering from some sort of delusion with that description when in fact its you that needs a dictionary or learn how to use google.

The threat to stop playing and leave Scottish Football comes is conditional of the league reconstruction happening as proposed. These threats affect other clubs financially, you think they are welcoming these comments with open arms? Show abit of common sense at least!

Lawwell has made the threat to leave the SPL several times before and if I remember correctly, somehow you dont because its suits you now not to, he was criticised by other chairmen in the form of the 'SPL10' and Celtic were excluded from reconstruction talks last season.

Really do you live on the moon and only pay a visit to planet earth now and again If you think that its either that or whatever substances you are taking
    Ah of course, because the Scottish media's role in helping previous Rangers' owners to lead the fans astray was completely fictitious.

If you deny that happened then I have no problem with that, as it leaves the door open for it to happen all over again. Not that my sides could take that :pac:
    In what league do you win a division and then end up playing the same teams again the following season?
    Who wants to tell him...

_41437879_spl_logo_203.gif

I didnt need the media either, just noticed they were describing it the same way. You were trying to make out like I'm suffering from some sort of delusion with that description when in fact its you that needs a dictionary or learn how to use google.

The threat to stop playing and leave Scottish Football comes is conditional of the league reconstruction happening as proposed. These threats affect other clubs financially, you think they are welcoming these comments with open arms? Show abit of common sense at least!

Lawwell has made the threat to leave the SPL several times before and if I remember correctly, somehow you dont because its suits you now not to, he was criticised by other chairmen in the form of the 'SPL10' and Celtic were excluded from reconstruction talks last season.

He was criticised By chairmen in his own league not by the media and how many times has he mentioned it without being criticised. But we are now going way off tangent all the moaning on here has been because Green said the rest of the season was pointless
    This whole discussion is now going round in circles

On Tuesday, former First Minister Henry McLeish gave us his verdict on the controversial 12-12-18 reconstruction plan for Scottish football.

Yesterday, retired SFA president George Peat – the man who hired McLeish to save our game two years ago – told us why he fears the people he left in charge have botched their big chance to deliver.

Today, in the third part of an explosive series of big interviews with Record Sport chief football writer Keith Jackson, SFA chief executive Stewart Regan hits back.

And hits back hard. Here Regan explains why he believes the proposed new set-up will not only resurrect Scottish football but could also establish our country as one of the world game’s leading innovators.

SR: Innovation is the key to this. In recent years football down south has been innovative. The play-offs for example have been the most successful thing ever to have happened to the Championship. It’s now the richest game on earth.

But no play-offs exist in Scotland between the top two leagues. The proposal delivers that type of excitement. Whenever you put a new proposal in place someone somewhere feels disadvantaged because they’ve missed out.

KJ: But it’s easier for fans to accept that at the natural end of a football season. To tell Hearts at the halfway stage they are a goal behind Dundee United so they must now play half a season of relegation play-offs – while United can go for second place in the top division? Surely that can’t be fair?

SR: The introduction of something new always carries trepidation. But we have to treat this as an opportunity to completely change Scottish football for the better. I accept numbers are subjective. Some people like 10s, 12s, 14s and 16s. In England it’s 20s and 24s. So what’s right and what’s wrong?

What we have here is a chance to vote on a plan that can actually move the game forward. It’s the first time since I arrived in Scotland we have reached such a point. This is a chance to strengthen teams, particularly in the First Division, and bring in excitement and play-offs.

KJ: What play-offs? There are no inter-league play-offs I can see.

SR: Let’s stick with the concept of excitement. In the top two leagues your first 22 games decide which of the three groupings you go into. As you move through the 22 games the excitement builds. Are we going to make the top eight and compete for European places? Or are we in the middle group, where every game is going to be exciting because it’s four up and four down? If I’m in the bottom eight, am I going to be able to avoid relegation?

It’s all about excitement. We’ll have a group of 24 clubs who are going to interact over the course of the next few years.

KJ: So the plan is to make those 24 teams Scottish football’s elite?

SR: They will be Scotland’s most exciting clubs and ideally develop our future Scotland players.

At the moment fans crave freshness. What we need to do is build stronger, more financially stable teams. If we are ever going to end up with bigger leagues in the future, with fans going to different grounds every week, then we need more of those stronger teams.

KJ: So this in essence is an incubator for a couple of years. To strengthen the top 24?

SR: Things change. Who’s to say this won’t be the best solution? It could be the most exciting league structure we’ve had and it will be up to the league bodies to review that over time. It could be the best thing that ever happens to Scottish football.

KJ: But in the end isn’t it all about fans? You’re not about to have Sky bursting down your door offering millions of pounds. Therefore the only way to increase revenue is to put more bums on seats. If the fans don’t like this plan then you have a major problem.

SR: Yes. And we all have a role to play in that – the leagues, the SFA the media. We have to try to explain why it’s beneficial to Scottish football. Right now people believe 16 teams is better. Why is that?

KJ: Because fans are tired of going to the same old games at the same old grounds. They want radical change. By not delivering on that is there a danger we alienate them further?

SR: The league bodies have tried for two years to deliver change. We haven’t managed it because the voting structures prevent progress. If you don’t compromise you don’t get change. This plan might not make 100 per cent of people happy. But it gives greater financial distribution, a single league body, better governance and opens up a pyramid structure for Scottish football. Most of all, we’ll have more exciting matches.

KJ: But it didn’t excite fans in Austria or Switzerland.

SR: What’s right for Austria and Switzerland might not be right for Scotland. In England they have a 20-team Premier League which is thriving. But if you tried to introduce it to another county it might bomb. Just because it’s failed in Austria doesn’t mean it will fail here. We need to give it a chance.

KJ: One of the problems they encountered was fans stopped buying season tickets because they didn’t know what they were getting for their money. Many waited and bought half season tickets instead. Wouldn’t that have a disastrous impact on revenue?

SR: There are pluses and minuses with every structure. Financial certainty tops everyone’s agenda. That has been addressed and the two leagues will be taking a distribution model to their members which will give financial certainty.

KJ: Can you give us details?

SR: That wouldn’t be appropriate. But there is a financial model that gives certainty and comfort to all clubs, particularly those further down the leagues. The top eight clubs in the SPL have conceded over £1m, particularly to the clubs in the First Division. After that, it will trickle down to other clubs. It frustrates me when I read comments from George Peat from your interview yesterday. He said we’re simply using the current £1.3m settlement figure. We’re not. This is additional money. George was factually incorrect. He hasn’t got all the facts. He’s not been part of the proposals and there are more important issues to worry about than the views of a former president who clearly misses the limelight.

KJ: But now you’ve brought him up, what did you feel about his assertion that yourself and Neil Doncaster are out of touch and don’t understand Scottish football?

SR: With respect, you asked him that question. It was a leading question.

KJ: No. I asked him if there was a danger your credibility was damaged by recent episodes or did he feel sympathy towards you? It was a straight question. One or the other. He said what he said.

SR: As I’ve said all along, I’ll be judged on what I deliver. The board are my appraisers. And I would say I’ve delivered more in the last two years than the Scottish FA delivered in the previous two decades.

We’ve dismantled the old committee structure, revolutionised the disciplinary system, delivered a new performance strategy, opened seven new performance schools and now we’ve helped to deliver unity between the SPL and SFL. All that has been achieved in two years so my track record speaks for itself.

George has his own view but it’s disappointing to hear his comments because he was instrumental in my appointment. He’s seen the benefits, his legacy will be the implementation of the McLeish Report, which I have delivered for him. And it has been done against a backdrop of the most challenging situations Scottish football has seen. So is my credibility at stake? No, my credibility’s not at stake. I’ve delivered and I’m more than happy to put my head above the parapet on that basis.

KJ: I understand. But do you understand you couldn’t have parachuted yourself into Scottish football at a more traumatic time in its history? You’ve presided over some major and damaging events.

SR: I understand football – that’s why I’ve been able to deliver all these changes. Every business has challenges and Scottish football has had more than most in recent times but we never shied away from them and I personally have led the organisation through some of the most difficult issues its had to deal with in its history. I think we’ve come out the other side much stronger.

KJ: I don’t want to labour the George Peat issue but there was one other thing he mentioned. He felt your handling of the Rangers crisis showed you didn’t properly understand the “scene”. What do you think he meant?

SR: It’s an interesting point. I would be interested to understand what I personally did during that time that was so challenging. I was simply the person who was delivering the views of the three bodies who collectively tried to put a strategic plan together.

All I was doing was delivering that message. As for the handling of the situation, George wasn’t here, wasn’t involved in the discussions and wasn’t party to any of the five-way agreement.

KJ: You seem genuinely excited about the prospect of change when others are less convinced. What is it you see that they don’t?

SR: Two years ago Henry McLeish said Scottish football had to address five areas – governance, performance, league reconstruction, facilities and regional football. He said if you can do all of those things you can deliver sustainable change.

We’ve addressed governance, put a performance strategy in place, got greater emphasis on facilities and investment from the Scottish
    government and put in place a new regional structure for development under the Scotland United banner.

The one outstanding area is league reconstruction. We’re now closer than ever to achieving it and that’s what excites me. The plan is in place and, over time, when the performance kids come through and play for Scotland – that excites me. I’m looking into the future. That’s why people shouldn’t get too hung up on the numbers of any league structure. Give the proposal a chance to succeed.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stewart-regan-scottish-football-reform-1528901

Comical Ali doesn't have **** on Regan.

• Advertisement

But he's right in several points that he's made in that interview tbh but I dont expect Rangers fans to give him any credit for anything or listen to what he has to say with an open mind ever!

He dodges questions, all he says is fans need to wait and see, he dismisses perfectly valid comments about countries where such a system already failed,...
    Hell, look at when Jackson poses the question about the money going to the smaller leagues, he literally says he doesn't want to talk about that, but we're supposed to believe they have a plan in place ?

It has nothing to do with Rangers not listening to him, he simply doesn't give 1 simple and valid point as to why this will be a good thing.
    But I've noticed that, ever since Rangers disagreed with this whole farce certain people seem to be siding with Regan, just out of spite.

Why would he explain things to the media that arent set in stone nor discussed by the clubs yet?

He made a valid point about why the setup shouldnt be written off. I made the very same point earlier in this thread and I didnt see you dismiss the point. I'll say it again, Scotland has a very different makeup to Austria & Switzerland, just because it failed there doesnt mean it will fail here. The Austrian League wanted to go to a 10 team league & no relegation soon after that so that should make you realise what they consider a potentially good move for their clubs doesnt automatically mean anything for Scottish Football. Can you explain to me without googling for an hour the financial model of those leagues used during that time? Scottish Football hasnt finalised that point yet but you expect him to explain it to the media??

I have my own reservations about the plan and I've said them and I'm waiting to see if its addressed before the vote but I wont go on a muckraking exercise at every opportunity like you usually do.

Muckraking ?

Lol.

But fine, 'wait and see' all you want.

Muckraking ?

Lol.

But fine, 'wait and see' all you want.

You are criticising him for not explaining something that isnt finalised or properly discussed yet! And you ignore the point about the Austrian/Swiss Leagues :rolleyes:

I'll wait and see because there isnt much of a choice about it!

That's not muckraking though, which was my point.

You want to talk about the Austrian/Swiss leagues ?
    The verdict? “It was really boring,” Kurier's Stephan Blumenschein recalls. “Especially in the bottom league.

The result of the 10 team model in Austria has created a competitive top flight, but other clubs have been ruthlessly left to fall by the wayside.

Of the eight clubs who finished in the top group of the last ever season of the three-tier, 24 team Austrian league, four formed phoenix clubs and one, Admira Wacker, lost their license in 2007/08 and were plunged down the divisions, although have since returned.

Of the eight who contested the play-off group, four went out of business, while three others had serious financial trouble which threatened their existence. The majority of the bottom eight survived, today having found their level in regional leagues.

But no, it will be completely different in Scotland because... Regan says so ?
    The man who's failed at every other obstacle placed before him.

Re-using a failed model simply because 'this time it will be different' is sheer stupidity.

• Advertisement

That's not muckraking though, which was my point.

You want to talk about the Austrian/Swiss leagues ?

But no, it will be completely different in Scotland because... Regan says so ?
    The man who's failed at every other obstacle placed before him.

I was saying it in a point to Eirebear long before Regan did that interview! :rolleyes:

Point is, you know very little about those leagues, whilst the structure proposed maybe the same, everything else behind it is different and a quote from Stephan Blumenschein (I've already read that interview) isnt going to change that.

Its gas how David Longmuir always escapes alot of criticism with Rangers fans. He's speaking for 30 clubs in this process, Doncaster is speaking for 12 clubs and Regan parrots whatever is going on. At the end of the day, the clubs will be the ones deciding what happens.

As for the sweeping statement about Regan, he has done some good (he has had his faults like everyone else) for Scottish Football, only a bitter or deluded person would say otherwise tbh

Always refreshing to see you can't help yourself getting personal.

I'd love to see some of those good things he's done.

Always refreshing to see you can't help yourself getting personal.

I'd love to see some of those good things he's done.

Its not personal, you'd have to be deluded or bitter to see everything as a failure

The revision of disciplinary procedures is better than what was there before and the rule changes in dealing with clubs like Hearts is better than what was in place before. You, of course, will argue against this for the sake of it!

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4740033/SPL-think-theyre-Mother-Teresa.html
    In my Yorkshire dialect, you get owt for nowt.

“The SPL clubs are giving away money. Why?

“This is a body of people who never wanted to give anything up and never wanted to change the distribution model.

“Now they’ve become Mother Teresa because they’re going to give all this money down the leagues.

“The reason they’re doing that is because their gates are falling off the wall.

“They’ve got no attendances. They’re not going to sell season tickets next year.

Who is going to buy a Celtic season ticket when there’s no Old Firm?

“The Celtic fans bought season tickets this year because they thought Rangers were going to play against them, as they were buying them in May and June.

“Of course, they’ll buy season tickets, but they’re not going to sell 40,000 when there are no Rangers games.

“I’ve had loads and loads of Celtic people come and tell me that.

“I’m not saying it as a criticism. Why would you when you can walk up to any SPL game and buy a match ticket? Cash is tight.”

This guy is getting stupider by the day! LOL

The distribution model couldnt be changed because Rangers (and Celtic) always blocked anything that didnt suit them. Maybe he didnt buy that part of Rangers History from D&P?

As for the bolded, there is no Old Firm and Celtic fans are buying season tickets! :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20997587
    Top-flight rules requiring 6,000 covered seats and under-soil heating are to be scrapped under the proposed new set-up for Scottish football.

And artificial surfaces could appear in the top league, with two clubs contemplating installing them.

Plans seen by BBC Scotland will reduce the licensing criteria for clubs in the two top divisions to bronze level.

That means "adequate pitch protection", namely pitch covers, will replace the need for under-soil heating.

There will also be the possibility of short-term derogation for those clubs who currently fall short of meeting bronze level; meaning they could compete in the top leagues while bringing their facilities up to standard.

Not sure what to make of this yet. Not surprised as it had to be relaxed if they wanted to push through 12-12-18. SFL1 clubs cant afford SPL standards. There is a good case for using artificial pitches in the Scottish Football tbh.

_65241021_pyramid.jpg

A model of the new structure, taken from the document seen by BBC Scotland
    The document outlining the changes says: "These proposals... will ensure a dramatic, exciting league with meaningful matches at all levels and at all points of the season."

The proposed voting structure in the new set-up would see Premier clubs having three votes, with those in the Championship receiving two votes and National league clubs getting one vote.

An independent executive chairman would have the casting vote in the event of a stalemate.

Some info on the new voting system but not enough to know whether its going to be a better system. It would be hard to make up a worse voting system than currently exists though.

EDIT

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-boss-neil-lennon-backs-1530782
    “We’re supportive of it. This is what the majority of the clubs in the SPL see as the best way forward.

“It needed changing and we think it’s going to change for the better, although the proof will be in the pudding.

“People don’t like change and there will always be factions that aren’t happy with it.

“We are the ones in the game trying make it work. It’s people on the outside who chip away at it. They are the ones who don’t come up with anything better.

“They sit in front of the TV while others are out there doing it, and they will just chip, chip, chip away. But that’s a social thing, not a football thing.”

Ironically, the changes will see Celtic’s share of the financial pie slightly reduced, but Lennon added: “Sometimes you have to look ahead. The people who run the game have to look at the future product.

“You always want a more competitive league, although I think the best team will win the title anyway.

“The gap has been pretty big between the big two and the rest over the last four or five years although Hearts broke it up in 2006.

“Since 2004, Real Madrid and Barcelona have shared La Liga.

“I was at a meeting with Neil Doncaster a year ago where we were told that, financially for the SPL, 10 teams was the best way forward.

“Obviously they are prepared to take a hit on that for the betterment of the game.

“Play-offs are also very exciting. When I was at Leicester we got in on the final day in sixth place. Crystal Palace finished third and I think there was a difference of about six or seven points.

“But we ended up beating Palace in the final with more or less the last kick of the game. It gives a really competitive edge to the end of the season.”

The Rangers thing has obviously taken a huge proportion of the crowds we were getting in the SPL away, but it has made other clubs competitive and given us some other good crowds.

“We went to Aberdeen and there were 18,000 there. Hearts, even with their financial troubles are still getting healthy crowds as are Hibs.

“There is a still a real love and passion for the game. I don’t think that will ever go away.

Seems Lennons mind has been changed about a 10 team SPL

• Advertisement
Advertisement