Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topping off wine with water

Options
  • 22-08-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I just racked off a 1 gallon batch of kit wine into the secondary fermenter and after leaving the sediment behind I was short about 2 cups from the neck of the demijohn. So I topped it off with water. Do you reckon that was a bad thing to do and will it alter the recipe? Have a had a quick google and opinions seem devided. Unfortunately after I did it I reread the instructions and it 'strongly' advised not to top the wine off as it could alter the final wine. New to all this as you might gather.
    Appreciate it as I'm sure it's bound to happen again. What do you do? Seems like if it says you should make the primary up to 4.5 litres you are always going to come up short after racking. But isn't it bad to have too much head space in the bottles?
    Thanks a lot

Advertisement