Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pale Face! How to get my face the same colour as my body ...

• 22-08-2012 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

What's a good foundation to use when having photos taken ... I always end up with pale face in EVERY photo?!

Very novice of me but I hear it's the SPF in foundation that makes that happen? I have a wedding on Friday and I'd like to look one colour all over if possible :)

I wear Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum in 51 on a daily basis if that's any help ...

Suggestions please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

This is from The Makeup Chair. I think that she is brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4js1LGQo_c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hope it helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

That video is great, thanks Stepping Stone

has anyone any other suggestions? Don't really have time to trawl through every stand in boots for a non SPF foundation suitable for dry skin!

Oh the things we do ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Ah - I hate when boards loses my replies!!

Anyway, I've heard that SPF causes flashback but as far as I can see bourjois healthy mix doesnt have any so that shouldn't be your problem. What other products do you use after foundation? Does your moisturiser have very high SPF?

Generally, for myself, I find using a well colour matched bronzer to contour my face gives a bit of contrast for the camera to pick up. I tend to apply it a little heavier if I know I'm going to have photos taken (but without crossing the fine line that makes you look tangoed in person!) I also choose a more pigmented or slightly brighter blush for same reasons. If you use highlighter maybe skip it next time and see if it makes any difference. If you're using an illuminating product under your eyes for eg, that could be flashing back too.

Also I usually apply my makeup in natural light and then go under the bathroom light afterwards to see how it looks. If its washed out under such artificial lighting chances are it will be on camera. Still be mindful that you need to look normal in person if reapplying more though and reapply in natural light.

Just on a side note, my foundation and moisturiser on my wedding day both had SPF of about 15-20 and I'd no problems with flashback I'm thinking because of bronzer and blush that were used. That's why I added those steps into my routine!

Also that's just what works for me. Mua might say those things are wrong but hey!

I was thinking of going with something with a bit more coverage than the Healthy Mix Serum

Didn't even think about my moisturiser ... must check there's no SPF!

Might try just the healthy mix one - that seems to have a bit more coverage

Sorry I didn't realise it was the serum you were using. But yeah, the other version is a little better coverage wise although it is still medium really. Is that the one you were talking about that gave flashback or do you use something else on nights out?

I've used revlon colorstay which is basically full coverage and it has spf 15. I used to get the 'paleface' thing with that but when I started using the bronzer etc it kinda corrected it. I think because the coverage was so good, it kinda made my face colour a little flat cos it blanked out any redness and natural colouring if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

I used to use a Max Factor one and a Rimmel one before that which gave flash back. The Serum doesn't but coverage isn't enough.

I've bought a few foundations with no SPF but they haven't suited my dry skin

I'd rather not have to go the bronzer route - too many mistakes possible!

what about trying the healthy mix foundation but with a higher coverage concealor for the areas you might want...well more coverage on. That way you might let some of your natural skin tone show through a bit more than with a complete full coverage all over foundation. And it doesn't have the spf.

Would be interesting to hear what others do as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I’ve had this problem pretty much since day one of wearing makeup. Like you I’m very pale and good quality pale foundations are very difficult to find. Like you’ve already stated SPF is the main culprit of moonface along with talc which is in the majority of foundations and powders. I’m in my late 20s now and the one thing I know is that you can buy eye shadows/mascara/blusher/lipstick on the cheap but not foundation. I’ve tried every brand of drug store foundation and I get moonface with all of them. It killed me initially to spend so much on foundations but I’ve learned that you’re not just paying for the name, they just are better quality. Now don’t get me wrong, some do still give moonface (MAC) but I’ve had get success with the following:

*At the moment I’ve having great success with Lancôme Teint Idol Ultra 24h. I’ve had a couple of photos taken since starting to use it and I’ve had no trace of moonface. Its full coverage and last extremely well. My only issue with it is that the palest colour is a bit warm for me but I over come this by spreading it down my neck to avoid “tidal waves”. It’s priced in the mid 30euro and last me (using it heavily every day) 2-3 months.

*Another new foundation is YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat foundation. Apparently they spent over 10 years developing it….blah blah blah science jargon…..bottom line its meant to be fantastic and is receiving world wide praise (every blogger is drooling over it). Most importantly it’s made for every shade of pale skin and photographs perfectly (despite containing SPF). It’s priced in the mid 30euro but apparently a little goes a long way and it’s described as full coverage. Here's it reviewed and photographed by a very pale blogger: http://beaut.ie/blog/2012/le-teint-touche-eclat-review-blows-all-other-foundations-out-of-the-water/

*Illamasuque do the most amazing foundations for pale skin, it’s almost like theatre makeup and because of this it photographs extremely well. They pulled out of Ireland a couple of years ago but are available online and in Debenhams NI. If you up there they are definitely worth a visit. http://www.illamasqua.com/

….phew! sorry that was long but I wish I had of invested in foundations years ago, it would have saved me many, many embarrising photos. I know some of these are expensive but Ive found that they just last longer than drug store foundations. I get 2-3 months out of my current one. I used to love Revlon Coverstay, but I only ever got about a 1-2 months out of it and it made me look like Casper.

PS. Most of the more expensive brand give generous samples. Prior to buying Lancome the sales assistant gave me a sample that lasted a week! Long enough to try and wear before the wedding your going to. :)

Also, the bronzer route didn’t work for me when trying to avoid pale face. Most if not all face powders including bronzer and blusher contain talc as a bulking agent. The more products like these you put on your face, the more flash back you’re going to get. Talc + flash photography = major Casper face. One time I bronzed myself so much I was as dark as Kim Kardashian in person…in the photos I had the worst moonface ever..there was a burning ceremony for those particular photos. :eek::o

Gosh that's interesting about the talc content of powders! I'll certainly be careful in future (although I do use them with a light hand, check in different lighting, then reapply little by little).
    What about using a cream blush/bronzer like the sleek or maybelline ones? Would they have talc? I have to say, I wouldn't be able to put on a face of makeup without my blush/bronzer combo. I'd much rather lose setting powder.

I love the phrase 'casper face' :) Sums it up so well!

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    Gosh that's interesting about the talc content of powders! I'll certainly be careful in future (although I do use them with a light hand, check in different lighting, then reapply little by little).
    What about using a cream blush/bronzer like the sleek or maybelline ones? Would they have talc? I have to say, I wouldn't be able to put on a face of makeup without my blush/bronzer combo. I'd much rather lose setting powder.

I love the phrase 'casper face' :) Sums it up so well!

Yeah I’m afraid that most powder blusher/bronzer contain talc to bulk up the product. There is no need to ditch it just use a light hand with them. I think the problem I was experiencing with bronzer was when I thought I could counteract Casper face with extra bronzer....not my brightest moment!:o My problem which I only discovered years later was using foundation with high SPF and talc content. Ive hyperpigmentation and need a full coverage foundation, Ive found that its better to go with thin layer of full coverage + concealer, rather than several layers of medium coverage. The least amount of product on your face, the lesser the Casper face. In my experience anyway. Hope my theories help :)

Advertisement