Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about laws.

Options
  • 23-08-2012 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'll make the introduction quick by saying that I live in the United States and don't plan on staying much longer; my reasons are my own. I hope to eventually move to Ireland but I know how countries around the UK are with guns and that in Ireland it's certainly more tightly regulated than it is here in the US, but less than say, Britain.

Before I actually move I'd like some personal insight as to what's considered legal and what's not such as age limit, legal caliber, things I may easily overlook, etc. I'm 18 years old at the moment and own a typical AR15 in .223 with your usual 10 round magazine which is the only gun I'm actually questioning, and I wasn't really looking forward to ever leaving it behind should transporting it into the country or keeping it become an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Your particular firearm I believe in considered restricted here, in that it's centrefire and semi auto. You'd have to give adequate justification for needing it, which over here the law does not really see any justification. You'd be looking at a .223 bolt gun like a remi 700 or the likes.

The only semi's I know of anyone here having (unrestricted) are ruger 10/22's, although I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BabySmasher

Well it's good to hear that I can at least get something in .223.

I happen to own a few semi-auto .22s but it's not a Ruger specifically. It's pretty much the same thing when you break them down with a different style to it but they shoot exactly the same.

main-1923.jpg

This is the .22, a Remington 597 vtr. The stock is collapsible if that's relevant at all and it's a 10 round magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

W
    main-1923.jpg

This is the .22, a Remington 597 vtr. The stock is collapsible if that's relevant at all and it's a 10 round magazine.

That's gonna be restricted too unfortunately as it 'resembles' an assault rifle.

Okay, and is there anything I should know about handguns?

Capacity limits? Caliber limits? I was looking at something like a SIG P226 in 9mm or .40, or some type of revolver anywhere between .357 to .44. Are any of those legal?

Okay, and is there anything I should know about handguns?

Capacity limits? Caliber limits? I was looking at something like a SIG P226 in 9mm or .40, or some type of revolver anywhere between .357 to .44. Are any of those legal?

No, the only pistols you can have are 5 shot .22lr's.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm off to find somewhere else to move before the US makes me go insane. I was told never to get rid of my first gun and it happens to be that .22 in the picture. I appreciate the hospitality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Blay wrote: »
    W
    main-1923.jpg

That's gonna be restricted too unfortunately as it 'resembles' an assault rifle.

I'm open to correction but I know plenty of pimped up 10/22's here. I don't know if there's anything in law about "resembling" an assault rifle. Whst about all the m1 garlands and moisin nagants there are here. They are old but assault rifles non the less. (can of worms opened!)

Robotack wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but I know plenty of pimped up 10/22's here. I don't know if there's anything in law about "resembling" an assault rifle. Whst about all the m1 garlands and moisin nagants there are here. They are old but assault rifles non the less. (can of worms opened!)

Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008;

“assault rifles” means—
    (a) rifles capable of functioning as semi-automatic firearms and as automatic
    firearms,
    (b) firearms that resemble such rifles;

An M1 Garand and a Mosin are not assault rifles..an assault rifles has select fire capability. The M1 is restricted for being a semi auto centrefire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Robotack wrote: »

Garands , mosins , lee enfields are battle rifles, the garand would be restricted because its a c/f semi, the others aren't.
    Anything black , plastic with a pistol grip (ebr) is considered an assault rifle or resembling an assault rifle, even the humble 10/22 or gsg replicas in .22lr.

@Robotack

I will admit I have opinions much the same. Here in the US they're slowly trying to pass small, useless firearm bans bit by bit until it all adds up to what you see in Britain or the likes. I don't mean to be offensive but there really is no universal, or otherwise clear definition of an "assault-style" weapon besides "scary-looking guns" or "guns that can be more comfortable to hold than a hunting rifle".

I'm not going to debate it though because you guys probably grew up around this kind of stuff and I didn't. You have a different mindset and in the end neither of us will be right in some all-out debate because what's right to me is wrong to you and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Question...How do you have a handgun at 18 in the US??ASFIK its 21 for possesion in any state now??
    Also,think the universally accepted[bar Ireland of course] of a "Assault rifle" is it must have the following
    1] Select fire capability.
    2] fire an intermediate powerd cartridge.
    That is the true definition of an "sturm geweher".As we cant get full auto or select fire in Europe as civvies,we have semi auto rifles pure and simple.
    TBH,if you want to own that kind of gun over in Europe ,I'd look at Germany,Switzerland,[if you have a few million to get you in there] Finland,or possibly Denmark.Or check out the East blocs,but dont expect a US or European quality of life there.
    They are about the most liberal still on gun ownership,but are otherwise PITA places to live in for their own reasons.
    3]TBH I'd stay put in the US and just move to a more gun ownership friendlier state and quit watching FOX,CNN and all the other BS media that feeds everyone an anti gun line. By the time the US ends up like the UK,we will be worm food,and proably our great great grandkids might have to worry about it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

@Robotack

I will admit I have opinions much the same. Here in the US they're slowly trying to pass small, useless firearm bans bit by bit until it all adds up to what you see in Britain or the likes. I don't mean to be offensive but there really is no universal, or otherwise clear definition of an "assault-style" weapon besides "scary-looking guns" or "guns that can be more comfortable to hold than a hunting rifle".

I'm not going to debate it though because you guys probably grew up around this kind of stuff and I didn't. You have a different mindset and in the end neither of us will be right in some all-out debate because what's right to me is wrong to you and vice versa.

BabySmasher having lived in Ireland, the UK and the US - it will be a long time before the US even gets within a mile to the type of restrictions in place in the UK and Ireland.

Could I suggest if you really want a liberal Europe regime when it comes to firearms that you move to the Czech republic when they have a very lenient policy on guns (and drugs oddly enough - all drugs are legal there)

However, getting a visa to live and work in Europe might be even trickier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Question...How do you have a handgun at 18 in the US??ASFIK its 21 for possesion in any state now??

19 in New Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

In alot of states it's 21 to buy a new hand gun but you can be gifted one or buy second hand at 18.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Also,think the universally accepted[bar Ireland of course] of a "Assault rifle" is it must have the following
    1] Select fire capability.
    2] fire an intermediate powerd cartridge.
    That is the true definition of an "sturm geweher".As we cant get full auto or select fire in Europe as civvies,we have semi auto rifles pure and simple.
    TBH,if you want to own that kind of gun over in Europe ,I'd look at Germany,Switzerland,[if you have a few million to get you in there] Finland,or possibly Denmark.Or check out the East blocs,but dont expect a US or European quality of life there.
    They are about the most liberal still on gun ownership,but are otherwise PITA places to live in for their own reasons.
    3]TBH I'd stay put in the US and just move to a more gun ownership friendlier state and quit watching FOX,CNN and all the other BS media that feeds everyone an anti gun line. By the time the US ends up like the UK,we will be worm food,and proably our great great grandkids might have to worry about it.

I'm aware of this and I'm going to clear the suspicion that I own one, because I don't. I said I'm looking for certain types of handguns and gave examples of two that I'd be rather fond of when I can buy one. I should have been more clear on that. Rifles and shotguns feel more comfortable for me than a handgun though, it's just what I'm more used to and there's no guarantee I'll ever rush on buying one for anything more than a more compact method of home defense more-so than just for sport out on the range. I'm also not moving from the US due to their attempts to place gun regulations specifically; like I said, my reasons are my own, and I'm not going to bother typing an essay as to why, because I already typed a goodbye essay to my family to give to them when I leave, which they don't even know exists. Also yeah that media is a bunch of garbage and I never watch it.

I also took a look at Switzerland many times and honestly, I will agree with you there that it does seem like my kind of place. That's option #2 but I'm still looking. Germany is also up there in the list, you read my mind.

You would be far more likely to lose your firearms in europe than in america. There is a constant push to get rid of them here too. And nowhere in europe is it your right so my advise would be to stay where you are. I think you need to think it trough a bit more. Have you thought about the costs involved in moving, your visa most importantly and unless you are going to live in ireland or england being somewhat isolated from society unless you are bilingual which would also make it harder to find work if your not. Choose wisely is all i'll say.

juice1304 wrote: »
    You would be far more likely to lose your firearms in europe than in america. There is a constant push to get rid of them here too. And nowhere in europe is it your right so my advise would be to stay where you are. I think you need to think it trough a bit more. Have you thought about the costs involved in moving, your visa most importantly and unless you are going to live in ireland or england being somewhat isolated from society unless you are bilingual which would also make it harder to find work if your not. Choose wisely is all i'll say.

I'd love to agree with you but I don't think you've taken into consideration just how much and how long I possibly could have have thought this through. A very long time; leaving your home isn't something anyone should take lightly. If you were in the US for a day and that day was dedicated to me giving you an explanation of everything that's wrong with this country and will be wrong with this country and why everyone here will suffer from it eventually in some way you may understand where I'm coming from. When it comes down to costs, by the time I'm finished with my welding courses I'll have enough to at least buy the plane ticket out. I'm also specifically looking at countries with a reasonable amount of English speaking people to make learning another language less stressful. Switzerland has that, a very low crime rate, and has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world.

I am well aware of all that is wrong with your country, And it would still be better to be there than here. Anyway if you find it hard getting a visa as i suspect you might, You could always join the american military in Germany there are several bases there and you would be entitled to join. i hope it works out for you. I'd swap with you if i could:p lol, i've alot of family and friends in CT an NJ. I'd give my left foot to be in CT.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

reasons or not..

Dont even consider Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Your a young lad go out and see a bit of the world, Join the military or go to college. The Aussies are great for that as soon as they finish college they go working around Europe and the world worked with two lads this year from Perth. While the use of sporting firearms is a fantastic sport I honestly wouldn't really be putting it into my list of consideration of staying or settling in a country. As it was all said before we have quirky some would say strange laws, but you can still enjoy yourself. Neighbor of mine is from Oregon he has blended in lovely, a real asset to our community only in Ireland would the chap be called "Hank the Yank" to his face.

Europe is a very small place (believe it or not)

Enjoy yourself..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Have you even thought about the fact Ireland is up to its eyeballs in debt? That there are queues of young people leaving the country.

Your doing a welding course? Will that cert even be recognised over here? And even if it is recognised will you even get work with it?

FAS (our training system for unemployed) is churning out welders in the 100's every month or two- most of whom seemingly plan on leaving Ireland ASAP.

As far as I can see only a handful of industries aren't down in the dumps right now.

If I was you I'd avoid Ireland- UK might be a slightly better option. If I were you Id look at Germany or Norway. But ideally Canada or Australia is were the money is for people with your skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

New Zealand is THE place. Even includes full-autos AND they are not only English speakers, but a wonderful bunch of folks in general.

Forget Finland, unless you have something to offer that nobody else does - the language barrier is almost insurmountable, too, as only a very small proportion of the population speak English, unlike Denmark, Norway and Sweden, where most fourth grade kids speak it better than the kids next door to me here in yUK.

As ever, no country is going to bust a gut to take you in unless you have a quid pro quo.

What's yours?

tac

PS - Re Post #22 - the very last place on earth you should think of coming to is the UK - except for Northern Ireland, where cartridge-firing handguns are still legal. You wouldn't be able to apply for at least 2 years for a firearms certificate, though, as there is [presumably] nobody in NI who could give you a character reference based on a minimum of two years close acquaintanceship. Still no semi-auto centre-fire, though - that's only on Jersey in the Channel Islands. Sadly that's another place where you'll need £1 Million to buy into. Literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Slightly funnier version of the above advice (definitely easier to read, no offence guys).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The updated version of the famous book "The ugly American".Which should be compulsory reading for any American travelling abroad.:)

BTW forget joining Uncle Sams Green machine and getting a post to Germany..You will more than likely end up in a sand pit somwhere in the far East.
    Ever since the Russkies went home,the US armed forces in Europe have been steadily downgrading and stripping their bases in Germany.They are mostly skeleton staff now,and are old timers who want to stay on and are looking at retirement with the Fraulien they married awhile back.
    Only place that is still busy is Weisbaden HQ and Frankfurt/Weisbaden airfield.But thats air force and considerd a premier posting.You go where they send you,which means you could end up stuck Stateside in some backwater base in Alaska.

BTW I'm also a qualified welder ,and the chances of work here in thast trade are virtually nill at the moment.Everyone and his brother can pretty much "weld" here if they are farm kids,they will proably have goofed around with a welder,and cheap not quality is the watchword.
    Think you need to think this one thru a little better.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

In all sincerity, I suggest that you have a read of what is considered to be a 'coded welder' here in Europe, rather than being able to stick bits back on a busted plough.

In Germany, f'rinstance, you'll need to have been an apprentice to the required standard - see the necessary documentation - http://www.die-verbindungs-spezialisten.de/index.php?id=perszert0. And, of course, Germany is just one of the nations signed up to the international standards of cutting and welding.

@Grizzly - you must know something that the rest of us don't. I live and work in the Far East [Japan] and as far as I'm aware, there are no 'sand pits' there that have a pressing need for the US Armed Forces to go and sort out the inhabitants thereof.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

As a qualified fitter/turner and also a coded welder i can say that ireland as far as engineering jobs goes , is the pits. You'd want your head examined if you thought you could do a quick welding course in america and come over and make a living at it in ireland.
    The uk has a skills shortage at the moment because they didn't run apprenticeship schemes for decades. I'd have to agree with tac , aussy-stralia and new zealand are better places to live.

http://www.vacancycentral.co.uk/j/contract-east-london/3-107828139/welder.html

P.s , reading the irish firearms laws is a waste of time , the doj and police over here pay little attention to the laws and enforce what they feel like at the time, you'd get fairer treatment as regards firearms in some south american banana republic.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

tac foley wrote: »
    Forget Finland, unless you have something to offer that nobody else does - the language barrier is almost insurmountable, too, as only a very small proportion of the population speak English

Off topic, but the only true part of this is the bolded portion. I know 5 words in Finnish (kiitos, kylla, ei, olut & susikroopi :p) and I can get around fine. A friend has been living there for 5+ years and now has rudimentary Finnish but happily worked away for a long time through English.

That said, the OP doesn't have much chance of getting to live in Finland. I don't know the finer points of their immigration laws but with the continuing rise of the Perussuomalaiset they're not going to get more lenient any time soon. Unless he has a work sponsor, forget about it.

IRLConor wrote: »
    That said, the OP doesn't have much chance of getting to live in Finland. I don't know the finer points of their immigration laws but with the continuing rise of the Perussuomalaiset they're not going to get more lenient any time soon. Unless he has a work sponsor, forget about it.
    Crying shame that, it's a beautiful part of the world.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    Crying shame that, it's a beautiful part of the world.

Yup. It sure is.

You or I, having EU passports and high demand skills would be fine. Without an EU passport or spouse, it can be pretty tough to get work visas in a lot of EU countries unless they have a severe skill shortage in your area of expertise.

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    You or I, having EU passports and high demand skills would be fine.
    Don't tempt me :D

Advertisement