Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about laws.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Robotack wrote: »
    Your particular firearm I believe in considered restricted here, in that it's centrefire and semi auto. You'd have to give adequate justification for needing it, which over here the law does not really see any justification. You'd be looking at a .223 bolt gun like a remi 700 or the likes.

The only semi's I know of anyone here having (unrestricted) are ruger 10/22's, although I stand to be corrected.

you can have a semi auto .223 here in ireland. i know several people that have one.
    it is true that it is considered a restricted firearm, but restricted does not mean you cant have one.
    there are tighter rules for such rifles. such as alarmed safe room and 5 round mag capacity and i am sure there are a few other rules to follow.
    my advise is to contact an RFD and ask about storing the rifle with him until your license is sorted.
    i know of a good RFD near me that has bought and sold several AR type rifles and he would know the rules better than anyone.

i would guess that even a bot action rem 700 or .22lr type rifle will have to go threw the same process of licensing as a semi-auto.
    technically you would be seen as a new license and you would have to be screened by the guards (police) over here either way.

best of luck with your application ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tac foley wrote: »
    @Grizzly - you must know something that the rest of us don't. I live and work in the Far East [Japan] and as far as I'm aware, there are no 'sand pits' there that have a pressing need for the US Armed Forces to go and sort out the inhabitants thereof.

Well,not that far East,although I suppose Afghanistan is the far East to most of us here?:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Afghanistan is officially in Asia.

The Near-Far east begins with the Malysian peninsula and heads, well, east until it get to the Indonesian archiplelago...

By then it's pretty much 'far east' around the Aleutian Islands and then all of a sudden, you're in Alaska!

And back in the far west....

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    5 round mag capacity

There is no magazine restriction for restricted rifles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

juice1304 wrote: »
    There is no magazine restriction for restricted rifles

Thanks I did not know that. But that is why I recomend the op to ask someone that knows. Like I said in my post

There are dealers out there that don't know anything about restricted firearms. The dealer I would recomend has restricted firearms in stock and for sale. He deals with theese types of firearms all the time. He would be the only person I would trust to know the ins and outs of restricted firearms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*ahem*

/points to the BIG RED FLASHING ANNOUNCEMENT at the top of every shooting forum that lists off the laws for anyone who's interested....

tac foley wrote: »
    Afghanistan is officially in Asia.

The Near-Far east begins with the Malysian peninsula and heads, well, east until it get to the Indonesian archiplelago...

By then it's pretty much 'far east' around the Aleutian Islands and then all of a sudden, you're in Alaska!

And back in the far west....

tac

OK if you want to be pendantic about it!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Babysmasher, you must realize you can't have a BB gun in this country without a licence from the powers that be.
    You can't even have a backyard plinker pistol without police consent.
    Even Nazi Germany didn't have laws this strict and it goes back to an undemocratic mindset in the police/government/civil service troika who rule this country.
    If I were you I'd find the funds and tour the world. You will conclude that the US,despite all its faults, has the most liberal guns laws in the world.Personally I'd move there in a heartbeat if circumstances allowed.

Likewise.
    The US has many faults,but if it is so bad why are the poor tired huddled masses still choosing it as their number 1 place to go to after they escape whatever Hell they get out of??

Advertisement