Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizontal lines under turret caps

Options
  • 23-08-2012 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Can any tell me what the horizontal lines marked 0-5 under the turret caps on my new Swift premier 8-32x50 are.
    On the elevation turret the bottom of the cap is at the 2 line and the windage cap is in the 0 line, what line should they be at, should they both be the same and and how do you set them.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Are you referring to the lines "under" the turrets?

picture.php?albumid=2218&pictureid=13820

These are measurements lines for want of a better word. They tell you by looking at them how many revolutions the turret has done form it's lowest setting.

The Swift premier has roughly 50MOA/200 clicks. So the lines on yours read 0-5. If the turret is dialed all the way down to it's lowest setting you can see nothing. As the turret does one full revolution the bottom of the turret comes up to the line marked 1. This means at a glance you can look at your turret, and see you have a minimum of one revolution on your turret. You then look at the turret, and if the number on the indicator line is say 5 you add the 10 (as indicated by the 1) to the 5 indicated by the turret number, and you know you are at 15 MOA / 60 clicks.

The exact same applies to the windage. The only difference being the windage turret on a scope should be centred before mounting it for the first time. So if you have 50MOA/200 clicks on the windage adjustment you dial all the way out to one direction (doesn't matter which). You then dial in 25MOA/100 clicks, and now your windage is centred. You then adjust from here after mounting to get your correct windage setting.

So before mounting your scope you centre the crosshairs. Do the windage as described above, and have it on 25MOA or number 2 on the lines under the turret, and 5 on the actual turret number.

For the elevation, well opinions differ. Some centre this like the windage turrets, and then adjust up or down, as needed. I usually dial the elevation turret all the way down to it's bottom setting. This blocks the lines under the turret completely. I then dial up as needed. It's up to yourself which way you prefer.

I hope i'm explaining this clearly enough. It's hard to describe whereas showing you would take 5 seconds.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

Thanks a mill that's great.

So I think you mean about say the windage, I dont have to dial all the way out and count in the 100 clicks, I can just go ahead and dial the turret straight to the second line and 5 on the turret it self.

Basically, yeah.

As always though there are a few "conditions" to this. The turret number must be on "0" when dialed all the way to one side so when you dial in the two lines, and 5 on the turret it's accurate. If you dial all the way out, and the turret is on 3. Then you dial the opposite direction 2 lines, and 5 on the turret leaving you at 8 on the turret.

That make sense? Sounds good in my head.:o

The second thing is what is the exact amount of MOA on the scope. I'll use Nightforce as an example becaue i'm used to them. The 12-42 model is meant to come with 45moa in elevation, and 35 in windage. My own came with 44 in elevation, and 36.5 in windage. a friend's scope came with only 39.5 elevation, and 36 in windage. Now that could be down to a tight turret, and he was nervous to force it, but the point being that sometimes scopes come with more or less than indicated on their website/instruction manual.

So dialing all the way and then counting as you dial back gives you the most accurate measurment of how many MOA/clicks you actually have.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks very much, I'll sleep on that gem of info and as big arny said,

I'll be back!!!!!!

My head hurts reading that back. :D

• Advertisement

Why do you think I'm going to sleep

I counted all the clicks there is only 130 on both turrets a long way of 200 does this sound right. If so it seems very limited.so I counted back the 65 clicks should i be ok

Advertisement