Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepping Laptop for Trinity Wifi

Options
  • 23-08-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So, my brother is in Trinity and he was explaining to me a while back about how you have to run a certain scan on your laptop/computer before you can connect to the Trinity Wifi, and that gave him trouble for a few weeks.

Is there anyone who knows if you can prep your laptop so that when I get to Trinity it should be ready to connect to the wifi?

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

All windows updates are up to date.
    Antivirus with which updates are up to date.

Think thats it!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

what about macs? :P

also, has anyone tried connecting Ethernet cable from the port in the wall to a wifi router and using it in the apartment for smartphones and stuff? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 themarkjacob

If that's all that's needed to be done that's great! Does anyone know if there's anything else?

I had the same thought today, bring up a router from home and hook it up to the ethernet cable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Is there anyone who knows if you can prep your laptop so that when I get to Trinity it should be ready to connect to the wifi?
    You can run the TCDconnect scan tool remotely so you can get your laptop up to date from home.

http://nac-remote.tcd.ie/authentication/_remotescan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 themarkjacob

Jonathan wrote: »
    You can run the TCDconnect scan tool remotely so you can get your laptop up to date from home.

Looks like my laptop is ready to go! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

what about macs? :P

Macs are grand on the wifi in college, mine passed the remote scan without needing any antivirus software :) It is a little more complicated to connect at first to the wifi compared to Windows, download the instructions off ISS before you get into college. If all else fails, book a slot in their drop-in centre and they'll connect it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Jonathan wrote: »

What does that do, exactly? Help pages aren't accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Going into my 3rd year and still haven't been able to connect to the wifi. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

It just basically makes sure everything is legit and that you're all updated and virus-protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Ash_M wrote: »
    It just basically makes sure everything is legit and that you're all updated and virus-protected.

Only with anti-virus apps approved by them.

the last time i tried (exam time) Microsoft security essentials still wasn't deemed good enough....

• Advertisement

Yeah, they're a bit picky :P :rolleyes: It's a necessary evil, and there's no harm being done so it's not the worst, just a pain in the arse.

the last time i tried (exam time) Microsoft security essentials still wasn't deemed good enough....

According to the ISS website they give free anti-virus software to students and staff so antivirus software shouldn't be a problem :)

http://isservices.tcd.ie/software/catalogue.php

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

I haven't tested it, but it says on their website that MSE is suppported.

Going into my 3rd year and still haven't been able to connect to the wifi. :o

That's pretty impressive... I guess it does avoid the temptation to play Pandemic in lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

So I HAVE to install McAfee Antivirus? I hate it with a passion, it's a load of dicky imo :( I have Avast and I failed the test. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I haven't tested it, but it says on their website that MSE is suppported.

Fair enough, that must be a new (and welcome) addition for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

What I did last year was run the scan while running a Linux LiveCD/USB, passes the test with little bother, and then your MAC address is registered and you're good to go. That said, it's good practice regardless to have your updates and anti-virus installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

My laptop runs Ubuntu (Linux). Will I have any difficulty?
    "You must have your operating system CD during the network configuration as you may be asked for some files from it."
    What does this mean? Are they referring to the back-up disk / the one I used to install my OS? Why would we need that?
    "All computers must be running one of the supported anti-virus applications listed below."
    None of the examples listed are Linux compatible. And yet, Linux is listed under the "Supported Operating Systems" section.

Is there somebody I can go to on the campus to sort everything out for me?

Sorry for the excessive questioning :o

(Source)

mathstalk wrote: »

ISS do drop-in clinics at the beginning of the year, you can sign up online or in person (first-come first-serve, so book early). They'll do everything for you in terms of connecting to the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

bscm wrote: »
    ISS do drop-in clinics at the beginning of the year, you can sign up online or in person (first-come first-serve, so book early). They'll do everything for you in terms of connecting to the network.

That's great! Once connected is that it or will I have to re-connect every term/year?

• Advertisement

Pretty sure once you're done, you're sorted unless you get a new laptop or something.

My laptop runs Ubuntu (Linux). Will I have any difficulty?
    What does this mean? Are they referring to the back-up disk / the one I used to install my OS? Why would we need that?
    You don't.
    None of the examples listed are Linux compatible. And yet, Linux is listed under the "Supported Operating Systems" section.

Sorry for the excessive questioning :o

(Source)

Linux passes the requirements without an antivirus. It's probably the most straightforward OS to connect to TCDwifi.

If you still need help, they run help clinics http://isservices.tcd.ie/network/clinic.php

That's great! Once connected is that it or will I have to re-connect every term/year?

You have to reconnect each year or if you get a new laptop, you'll be emailed when the date is set to reconnect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

subz3r0 wrote: »
    So I HAVE to install McAfee Antivirus? I hate it with a passion, it's a load of dicky imo :( I have Avast and I failed the test. Damn.

According to this, Avast is allowed. Are you sure its up to date (both version, and virus lists)?

https://isservices.tcd.ie/network/tcdconnect-requirements.php
    Supported anti-virus software

All computers must be running one of the supported anti-virus applications listed below. Where you do not have one of the listed applications the TCDconnect system will provide you with links to the required software for download, free of charge, during the connection process.

Microsoft Security Essentials
    Norton AntiVirus
    AVG Anti-Virus
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus
    McAfee VirusScan Enterprise
    avast! Antivirus

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shenlok

You only have to be running one of the "supported" anti-virus packages at the time of running the scan. Once you've run the scan, passed, and been allowed on to the proper network, you can uninstall without any issues (until you have to re-run the scan next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

bscm wrote: »
    You have to reconnect each year or if you get a new laptop, you'll be emailed when the date is set to reconnect
    They wiped the database yesterday. Lovely of them to tell us poor souls relying it in the last phases of write-ups in advance! :rolleyes:

ethernet wrote: »
    They wiped the database yesterday. Lovely of them to tell us poor souls relying it in the last phases of write-ups in advance! :rolleyes:

I got an email about 4 days ago about reconnecting

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

another reason to have your own laptop....database wiping...why would you in the summer? surely in october if people haven't readmitted who were supposed to should have their stuff wiped i.e. they've dropped out or something. hope my undergrad projects are ok...

another reason to have your own laptop....database wiping...why would you in the summer? surely in october if people haven't readmitted who were supposed to should have their stuff wiped i.e. they've dropped out or something. hope my undergrad projects are ok...

ethernet was talking about the NAC database; meaning you have to redo the TCDconnect process. Your files on network storage are safe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement