Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mary O'Neill leaving Beat Breakfast

• 23-08-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Mary O'Neill 6 year co-presenter of beat breakfast left the show this morning and has just one more Sunday Grill. Beat Breakfast is relaunching on the 10th of September with new presenters "including some of your old favourites". Rumours are that Mary will just be moving office within the building over to WLR FM. I always liked Mary she really tied Niall and Vinny together and she's left big shoes to fill.

Any other thoughts on it / future of Beat Breakfast/ future job for Mary?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'll definitely miss her. I thought the Sunday Grill was a great programme and she really tied the Beat Breakfast show together like you said. I thought that show was a great ratings winner for them, wonder why they'd shake it up like that?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Orla Rapple is hosting Mary's other show, The Sunday Grill, this Sunday. I'm not sure if it's a permanent move or just a temporary one.

Niall Power said there a few days on the breakfast show that the breakfast show would be relaunching on the 10th of September. He said soemthing along the lines of "new presenters and maybe a few old faces". I can't remember exactly what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Its probably just me,but Marys voice went through my head like nails on a blackboard.What I find about radio topics on boards,and elsewhere,is the amount of replies,if the station is out side Dublin.The stations "down the country" dont get the same interest at all..maybe thats just me as well.One thing about Beat's breakfast that I didnt like was the "daily dilemma " Do people really write/mail radio stations with that kind of tripe,just like they did with "Dear Frankie " in the olden days of RTE?..All made up I reckon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

DT100 wrote: »
    Its probably just me,but Marys voice went through my head like nails on a blackboard.What I find about radio topics on boards,and elsewhere,is the amount of replies,if the station is out side Dublin.The stations "down the country" dont get the same interest at all..maybe thats just me as well.One thing about Beat's breakfast that I didnt like was the "daily dilemma " Do people really write/mail radio stations with that kind of tripe,just like they did with "Dear Frankie " in the olden days of RTE?..All made up I reckon:D
    I suppose people in Dublin don't listen to beat and therefore wouldn't have anything to say about who's leaving or staying.

alot of stations seem to do this dilemma business. Its not my cup of tea at all and wouldn't encourage me to text in but it must get some reaction otherwise they'd have dtopped it im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Fran1985 wrote: »
    I suppose people in Dublin don't listen to beat and therefore wouldn't have anything to say about who's leaving or staying.

alot of stations seem to do this dilemma business. Its not my cup of tea at all and wouldn't encourage me to text in but it must get some reaction otherwise they'd have dtopped it im sure.

Even after it has finished on-air, it continues on Beat's Facebook page, it garners a lot of interest to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Beat Breakfast was "relaunched" this week, it's just Niall and Vinny now, it's been updated on the website too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

She's reading the news on WLR the last two days on every Bulletin, trying to settle her in to the job possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MS_

Beat seems to have more sport and older presenters than other youth stations. I see that they have orla rapple on their schedule, she was axed from 2fm in march 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

The two lads seem to be holding the fort ok, but it's still not quite the same.
    I was originally surprised that they didn't replace her but then again most breakfast shows only have two main presenters anyway (not counting sports, traffic, celeb commentators).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

I miss Mary on the show. Niall is ok vinney is excellent but the show isn't the same. Her laugh was so funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I think a female voice is really needed when such things like 'Daily Dilemma' come up. As it's the two lads, I'm sure more than often they'd back a guy, or provide insight into why a guy would do that. There's no real insights from a girls perspective until the phone lines open.

Other than that, I think the show is ok, but was there much else of a change in the show before the launch and after the launch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Did Orla Rapple present Beat breakfast back in 2004/2005 ?

Just listening back to the memories : http://www.jinglenews.com/audio/jingles/beat102103_onair.mp3 - The station sounded great!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Orla Rapple presented Beat Breakfast from summer 2003 until late 2005, firstly with Rob Lanigan, then with Trevor Keegan. There was a short period with some other duo on air (don't remember their names) then Niall and Vinnie took over early in 2006. Mary joined soon after and then left last year.

Advertisement