Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael D Kicks Ass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Tiny elite, war mongering minority in the united states

Michael needs to look back at the outcomes of previous elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'm surprised that there are still people out there who have not heard that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

SaulGoode9 wrote: »

like i say, i've been away, but for a small man, he can certainly punch...

i underestimated him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

He was addressing that blow-hard corporate patsy, tea party fanboy, that George Hook likes to have on his show.

'Wanker' is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Wow, would not have expected that from him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

SaulGoode9 wrote: »

Wow, A Michael D Hipster!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, he certainly makes known his opinion, even if I don't particularly like the manner in which he states it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Fail by Micky D! Micheal Graham is not in office or trying to run for any office. At the time Micheal D was. All Graham was after was a reaction and he goaded Higgins into it. He made him lose his cool, Graham is in the entertainment industry. He got what he wanted. All Micheal D got was a rush of blood.

I don't really care about Micheal D. He doesn't bother me really, I don't think we need a president but that's not his fault, he's just taking advantage of a broken system.

I'd be a little wary of him because I think he's got some radical views. Luckily his position comes with no power at all and his views would be shared by most people in Ireland any way so most wouldn't disagree with him representing us. I'd bet if he met Obama, he'd be very respectful. If he met Romney, he would not. Which is ok. But I think if he met Putin, he'd be respectful. If he met Hu Jintao he'd probably be pretty respectful too...it's just what I think based on years of reading about him.

I'm from Galway. I remember him protesting against US war efforts, leading the protests from the front on a few occasions but didn't notice him making the same effort for any wars not involving the US. I could be wrong, I haven't looked up what he has and has not protested but what I saw with my own eyes, he seemed hell bent on protesting US war efforts. Not so much African civil wars, Russia on Georgia, China in Tibet etc. etc. I've heard him talk just not go to the same lengths when it's not America. Again I don't care really because the presidency doesn't really register

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I like Micheal Graham

I disagree with him on a lot/most things but he's good to listen to, something different on Irish radio

Always good to listen to the another view

He hosted three Newstalk shows when he was over for the Galway races
    I made sure to listen to them, good few hours of interesting radio
    Probably still up on the Newstalk website

The love for the Democrats from RTÉ and Lara Marlowe can get tiresome

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I like Micheal Graham

I disagree with him on a lot/most things but he's good to listen to, something different on Irish radio

That's all fine and dandy for you who is entertained by his far-right, blow-hard propaganda trumpeting but the 'wanker' has access to the public consciousness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's all fine and dandy for you who is entertained by his far-right, blow-hard propaganda trumpeting but the 'wanker' has access to the public consciousness.

Isn't that the thing about radio shows, though?

Or should only people whose political beliefs you share be permitted on the radio?

NTM

Isn't that the thing about radio shows, though?

Or should only people whose political beliefs you share be permitted on the radio?

NTM

Some people will have easier access to the 'public' airways than others. If I subscribe to the views of those in power then I will have an easier path to career 'success'.

I believe it's called 'manufacturing consent'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't know a lot about this Michael Graham guy so this isn't relating to him, but If I'm being honest, I'd rather not have some of those far-right evangelical Christians on the radio. The likes of Akin, Pat Robertson, Glenn Beck et al should not be given the bandwidth to spout some of the uninformed, offensive and ultimately incorrect opinions on the likes of abortion, homosexuality and politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Full interview here -> http://media.newstalk.ie/extra/1602/popup

Well worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Does he still "kick ass" when he rubberstamps whatever is put in front of him?... or does he perish the thought of rocking the boat because he is too cosy in the viceregal lodge?. Higgins puts on a good show, but at the end of the day he is still an establishment stooge. No amount of grandiose, self-righteous moralising will change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

how feckin old is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

A real wordsmith alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

this has been on the go for over a year. I think everyone on earth has seen it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If he took a bow he would disappear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

this has been on the go for over a year. I think everyone on earth has seen it at this stage.

Every time it pops up on Reddit you can guarantee it'll show up in AH a while later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

An Irish elected official talking passionately about something he truly believes?
    I must be hearing things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Some people on Facebook think this just happened.

Also for online stupidity check out the Lesley (sic) Nielsen RIP page. So many folks think he just died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

2 threads on this within a few hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Some people on Facebook think this just happened.

Also for online stupidity check out the Lesley (sic) Nielsen RIP page. So many folks think he just died.

Leslie Nielsen has died! Aww man. I was Leslie's no. 1 fan. Best actress ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Nah the brits and the yanks are only discovering it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

What is this even about? Wealth of info here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I rembember listening to it live the first time, Higgins was fantastic, erudite, articulate, knew his facts and figures inside out, and passionate about his cause. I think that speech alone, had me voting for him later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's possible to disagree with far-right, blow-hard propaganda trumpeting and still be entertained by the way in which it is presented.

Michael Graham may be a right-wing troll, but he knows it.

He's also extremely funny and I can never understand why people get so worked up about the shit he comes out with. Half the time, he's just taking the piss and having the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The thread can be easily ignored you know. So why do you even feel the need to announce that? I love reading such ridiculous commentary, you and I may have heard it before alright. But you shouldn't make a stupid assumption on behalf of everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I didn't think Michael D came across any better than the other guy, to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Ficheall wrote: »
    I didn't think Michael D came across any better than the other guy, to be honest.

You listened to it yeah? Just to be sure.. the link the OP posted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

karma_ wrote: »
    You listened to it yeah? Just to be sure.. the link the OP posted?
    Both the link the OP posted and the 20 minute interview it was taken from, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Losing the rag, name calling and shouting the other person down down, ya great way to win an argument. Michael D is making a total eejit of himself here, imo.

• Advertisement

It's possible to disagree with far-right, blow-hard propaganda trumpeting and still be entertained by the way in which it is presented.

Michael Graham may be a right-wing troll, but he knows it.

I don't believe he knows he's a troll. Also, people actually buy into his bull****. Look at the Tea Party crowd - without assholes like Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh (and funding by billionaires) they probably wouldn't exist.

I doubt very much that a radio presenter spouting the exact opposite (calling Hamas freedom fighters, Israel baby killers, neocons the dumbest ****ers ever to get control of US foreign policy etc) would have much off a career in the US/west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Michael D is a legend. I cannot believe that Fianna Fail patsy Sean Gallagher nearly won.

This video has gone viral in the US, due to the election over there. It was from 2 years ago, but it is still nice to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Some people will have easier access to the 'public' airways than others. If I subscribe to the views of those in power then I will have an easier path to career 'success'.

I believe it's called 'manufacturing consent'.

You know there are very good reasons Chomsky is not read as part of Political Science or Media courses of any realy substance? And its not because of a CT ...

Why do I have a feeling the reaction would be very different if, say, Mitt Romney were to go on a tirade against the Irish healthcare system or our position of neutrality? Particularly from people who cheer this particular bit on.

I don't believe he knows he's a troll. Also, people actually buy into his bull****. Look at the Tea Party crowd - without assholes like Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh (and funding by billionaires) they probably wouldn't exist.

I doubt very much that a radio presenter spouting the exact opposite (calling Hamas freedom fighters, Israel baby killers, neocons the dumbest ****ers ever to get control of US foreign policy etc) would have much off a career in the US/west.

Plenty call neocons/conservatives dumb. The "opposite" of Hamas is hardly Israel, but plenty criticise Israel. If you really wanted to look you would find many US commentators far more left than you get in Ireland. The vast majority, though, or middle of the road and I found far more balanced than Irish media personalities. Beck and co get plenty of attention, not because of the size of their audience but because they know exactly what to say to get people talking about them. Hence why you even give a crap about them and you dont even live on the same continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Graham is a wound up, nasally annoying idiot. I like to hear both sides of the debate. But only if the other side has something intelligent to say. He has never said anything remotely clever or funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

The amount of youngones and women I know who voted for Michael D for the fact he's "so cute" and looks like Dobby from Harry potter is mind boggling.

Lollers wrote: »
    Graham is a wound up, nasally annoying idiot. I like to hear both sides. But only if the other side has something intelligent to say. I've never him say anything smart or funny.

I agree with this in part. I hate when a show tries to give a particular perspective, but does so using basically charicatures.

Its a little ridiculous that there are only a handful of people giving an "alternative" hard opinion on subjects in this country, and none of those do so in a consice, fact based manner. Its probably part of the reason that of my many inteligent friends, few of them can defend their positions very well on any given political subject - all we have here is a chorus of people that by and large agree with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

MaxSteele wrote: »
    The amount of youngones and women I know who voted for Michael D for the fact he's "so cute" and looks like Dobby from Harry potter is mind boggling.

Small jockey big...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Daith wrote: »
    Small jockey big...
    Horse?

SamHarris wrote: »
    You know there are very good reasons Chomsky is not read as part of Political Science or Media courses of any realy substance? And its not because of a CT ...

Chomsky speaks truth to power - he irritates both the right and left. There is no conspiracy. Also, you need to actually listen to what he has to say rather than swallow right wing tapas sound bites like those pricks Limbaugh and Beck serve.

Why do I have a feeling the reaction would be very different if, say, Mitt Romney were to go on a tirade against the Irish healthcare system or our position of neutrality? Particularly from people who cheer this particular bit on.

I have little interest in the millionaires pantomime that is the US presidential election. The Irish health care system is not without fault but at least ultimately everyone is covered regardless of wealth.

I'm pretty sure the 30 odd million people without healthcare in the billionaires paradise that is America would prefer the Irish system to theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What's going on with this? I read this morning that it has gone "viral" in America? Anybody have the source for where it went viral?

I'm in America, have not heard it mentioned on the radio or tv and have not seen it trend on YouTube or Twitter over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Michael Graham is a troll and not to be taken seriously. Surprised Michael D. actually fell for it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

WumBuster wrote: »
    Losing the rag, name calling and shouting the other person down down, ya great way to win an argument. Michael D is making a total eejit of himself here, imo.
    It gets people's attention a hell of a lot quicker. He's passionate and angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

It's gotten an insane amount of Youtube hits in the last 48 hours, mostly coming from the US. How did this happen one wonders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

very proud of Michael D. - I despise the elitist policy of the tea party - America needs a balanced healthcare system , to help the less off , rather than the persistent fear of raising taxes - Go Obama

• Advertisement
Advertisement