Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adamstown Road or Lock road?

Options
  • 23-08-2012 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

The road from Lucan village up to superquinn - I have always known this as Lock road. Everyone I know calls it the Lock road. OSI calls it Lock road.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,703185,734613,6,10

Now there is a sign calling it Adamstown road, what's going on here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

If you zoom out one click the village end of the road is marked as Adamstown Road on that link too.

I and everyone I know who has lived in Lucan longer than about 20 years calls it the Lock Road. More recent residents seem to call it the Newcastle Road - that seemed to start from about the time the Superquinn development started.

I see that Google Maps are calling it Adamstown Avenue as far as Hillcrest this week and the Newcastle Road from there onwards.

My parents are constantly giving out about random name changes in the area. Since when did the Esker Hill become Lucan Newlands Road? Seems a bizarre name for that location! We always called it the Jet Hill anyway. Google Maps have it as Esker Lawns. :confused:

And the road to Coldblow - always known as Stanford's Hill in this house - seems to have become the Barnhill Cross Roads, despite the fact that Barnhill is miles away.

At this stage it seems that Lucan residents would be lost in their own area if they were to follow these maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

Since when did the Esker Hill become Lucan Newlands Road? Seems a bizarre name for that location!

I'd reckon it's got that name on the map because it used to run all the way from Lucan Village, past the graveyard, through Esker, then on towards Balgaddy, Clondalkin and then Newlands Cross before ending up in Tallaght Village. It's been all chopped up now with the motorway and the Outer Ring Road up by Castle Riada though.

As for the original question....I must be a blow in because I always knew it as the Newcastle Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

gwjones42 wrote: »
    As for the original question....I must be a blow in because I always knew it as the Newcastle Road!

I started working for Superquinn in 1991 when they opened in Lucan and always called it the Newcastle Road,as did most of the locals from Hillcrest and AGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I always knew it as the Lock road from the village to canal bridge at Lucan Sarsfields, then Newcastle road from then on - or sometime the Peamount road.

But never ever was it ever called Adamstown road. Ever.

Also the Jet hill - where the medical centre is was called Rich View house.
    And where the Topaz is situated now was where Cauldwells Garage was, and in previous year a car factory making those messershmit bubble cars.

When Superquinn opened first the traffic was brutal!
    There was a great article years ago where someone wanted to curse to soul of Liam Lawlor to "forever wander the hell that is Superquinn roundabout"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

gwjones42 wrote: »
    I'd reckon it's got that name on the map because it used to run all the way from Lucan Village, past the graveyard, through Esker, then on towards Balgaddy, Clondalkin and then Newlands Cross before ending up in Tallaght Village. It's been all chopped up now with the motorway and the Outer Ring Road up by Castle Riada though.

Yes, I remember when it ran all the way to Newlands Cross, but even then nobody in Lucan knew it as the Lucan-Newlands Road. Now it's a totally misleading name for the road.
    lord lucan wrote: »
    I started working for Superquinn in 1991 when they opened in Lucan and always called it the Newcastle Road,as did most of the locals from Hillcrest and AGP.

I'm one of those residents and I have never heard anyone call it anything but the Lock Road as far as Lucan Sarsfields.
    stoneill wrote: »
    I always knew it as the Lock road from the village to canal bridge at Lucan Sarsfields, then Newcastle road from then on - or sometime the Peamount road.

But never ever was it ever called Adamstown road. Ever.

Also the Jet hill - where the medical centre is was called Rich View house.
    And where the Topaz is situated now was where Cauldwells Garage was, and in previous year a car factory making those messershmit bubble cars.

Yes, and the field where the Jet/Statoil/Topaz or whatever is and Brookvale also, was known as Bella Leonard's Field.

• Advertisement
Advertisement