Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bóthar na dTreabh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Storm 10 wrote: »
    barryd09 wrote: »
    I refer to it as muppets road.

The road where muppets think its ok to U-Turn half way up it because of a mild tailback.

To be honest with you I dont think I ever saw a "Mild" tailback on that road when its jammed its jammed going nowhere fast.

Still doesnt excuse people u-turning on it into two on coming lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I checked with a grammar expert who told me the fada on Meabh is not essential...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

dlofnep wrote: »
    Méabh has a fada. That is why the 'ay' sound is present.

Treabh = Trav, as in travellers.

I have never ever seen a fada on the name Maebh/Maedbh in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I have never ever seen a fada on the name Maebh/Maedbh in my life.

I said Méabh, not Maebh.

Aebh = ave

Eabh = av

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It's pronounced "Northern Ring Road".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Are we referring to the route mentioned on RTE radio traffic news? What I'm hearing is Bothar na DRAB. I thought, how could anyone live in such a place? It seems the AA correspondent doesn't understand the effect of the final "h". With regard to Meabh not having a fada, is it because (as far as I remember) the name can be spelled with a few extra letters? Meadhabh? Maedhbh? It's hurting already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ttenneb wrote: »
    Are we referring to the route mentioned on RTE radio traffic news? What I'm hearing is Bothar na DRAB. I thought, how could anyone live in such a place? It seems the AA correspondent doesn't understand the effect of the final "h". With regard to Meabh not having a fada, is it because (as far as I remember) the name can be spelled with a few extra letters? Meadhabh? Maedhbh? It's hurting already.

AAroadwatch are woeful
    BallyBain
    Jail Road

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    AAroadwatch are woeful
    Jail Road

What's woeful about that?

One day I heard "goal" pronounced some other way, and wondered what on earth the person was smoking.

What's woeful about that?
    One day I heard "goal" pronounced some other way, and wondered what on earth the person was smoking.
    Jail Road does not exist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Jail Road does not exist

Yes it does.

But it's in New Delhi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

ea has a value of /a/ in Irish when stressed except before rl, rn, rd and before syllable-final ll, nn, rr when it has a value of /a:/

like all vowel's it has a value of /ə/ when it's unstressed.

Technically speaking in modern Irish it would be impossible to get pronunciation [mʲeːv] without the fada on the e (eg. Méabh), in case of old style spelling Meadhbh well 'eadh' forms a Diphthong in Irish with a value of /əi/, in Old and Early modern Irish you had different vowel sound anyways (likewise the -dh- was also pronounced, so name would have sounded quite different!)

In the case of Treabh/dTreabh you can celarly hear the /a/ value that the ea has.

Jail Road does not exist

So what would you call the road around the south and west of the Cathedral, and how would you pronounce it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That's Gaol Road. Pronunciation is the same.

So what would you call the road around the south and west of the Cathedral, and how would you pronounce it?
    Bóthar an Phríosúin
    and I'd pronounce the way I always have

Bóthar an Phríosúin
    and I'd pronounce the way I always have

Ahh, it seems that the city council haven't caught up with you on this - here's a pic from their on-line planning map:

goal-rd.PNG

Pronounced the same as "jail".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Think the Council deserve some credit for abandoning Irish to the point of using Shakespearean translations instead.

Ahh, it seems that the city council haven't caught up with you on this - here's a pic from their on-line planning map:

goal-rd.PNG

Pronounced the same as "jail".

How else would you pronounce Gaol :confused:

Surely it should be that "jail" is pronounced the same as Gaol ;)

dubhthach wrote: »
    How else would you pronounce Gaol :confused:

Surely it should be that "jail" is pronounced the same as Gaol ;)

I have no idea, but the poster from here thinks it should be some other way.

http://www.forvo.com/word/gaol/#en

;)

The Irish word "gaol" of course means completely different thing.

Och!
    The aa roadwatch person said the area was busy around 'Jail Road' during the Novena. She should have said 'Gaol Road'.
    It was not a mispronunciation, they got the name of the road wrong completely.

• Advertisement

Och!
    The aa roadwatch person said the area was busy around 'Jail Road' during the Novena. She should have said 'Gaol Road'.
    It was not a mispronunciation, they got the name of the road wrong completely.

So when how do you pronounce "Gaol" and how is it different from how you pronounce "Jail"?

Remembering that the road is called "Gaol Rd" and not "Bóthar an Gaol". As you've pointed out before, the Irish version of the name would be Bóthar an Phríosúin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What else would it be other than 'jail'? There's no ambiguitity as to how it's pronounced.

As for AA Roadwatch calling Ballybane Ballybain and them being 'woeful', hardly criminal. People resort to phonetics when they're not familiar with areas. I have to read area names frequently in work that I've never heard of before, have to read them phonetically - which get plenty wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

What else would it be other than 'jail'? There's no ambiguitity as to how it's pronounced.

As for AA Roadwatch calling Ballybane Ballybain and them being 'woeful', hardly criminal. People resort to phonetics when they're not familiar with areas. I have to read area names frequently in work that I've never heard of before, have to read them phonetically - which get plenty wrong.

Pronounced 'g-uail' (pronounced like quail but with a G).

If you went looking for 'rodeo drive' instead of 'rode-ayo drive' you'd get a few puzzled looks. Or even a bit closer to home 'at-henry'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Caliden wrote: »
    Pronounced 'g-uail' (pronounced like quail but with a G).

If you went looking for 'rodeo drive' instead of 'rode-ayo drive' you'd get a few puzzled looks. Or even a bit closer to home 'at-henry'

No. It's not.

Jail and Gaol are pronounced exactly the same. They are different spellings but sound the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

?Cee?view wrote: »
    No. It's not.

Jail and Gaol are pronounced exactly the same. They are different spellings but sound the same.

No they're not.

Caliden wrote: »
    No they're not.

When they are both English language words, meaning the same thing - as in Jail Rd and Gaol Rd - then Yes They Are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Do some people here think that the road is the Irish word Gaol meaning relationship?

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Do some people here think that the road is the Irish word Gaol meaning relationship?
    I do :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would probably say Gaol as gale.

Who needs dresses when we have street names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

It's called Gaol Rd, because it was the location of 3 prisons, a city gaol, a county gaol, and a women's gaol.

Somtime in the late 1800's the word gaol was starting to be replaced by jail.

And gaol in this context is pronounced exactly like jail.

Advertisement