Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about complications after neutering

• 23-08-2012 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

I had my Yorkshire terrier neutered last year when she was 8 months old. Shortly after the surgery I noticed a small lump so I brought her to the vet and was told it was the internal scar from the surgery. A couple of months ago when I brought her to get her annual booster I asked him to check it again and was told that some fatty tissue has protruded from the incision probably from a torn stitch. He said that I wasn’t to worry and just keep an eye on it. Well I’m bring her back to the vet this evening because it definitely bigger. She has no other worrying symptoms like not eating/drinking/discomfort but Im not waiting until it gets to an emergency situation. He told me last time that in the future that we could opt to have surgery if she was having something else done (like dental work) but now less than a year later it looks like she’s going to have to have another surgery.

Has any one on here ever had to have revision surgery on there dog after neutering?

I guess I want to hear “yes and it went fine”….she’s only 2.2 kg and I’m terrified of her having another big operation. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

It sounds like she has herniated. It can happen sometimes if a stitch is misplaced slightly or if she wasn't kept quiet enough after surgery a stitch may have torn.

If she is behaving normally then its not an emergency but as the vet said its something that can be fixed in the future if she goes under for a dental or other procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Irishchick wrote: »
    It sounds like she has herniated. It can happen sometimes if a stitch is misplaced slightly or if she wasn't kept quiet enough after surgery a stitch may have torn.

If she is behaving normally then its not an emergency but as the vet said its something that can be fixed in the future if she goes under for a dental or other procedure.

Thanks, brought her last night and the vet said she'd leave it if it wasnt tender but after some poking around she did flinch a bit so we brought her in this morning for surgery. Better to have it seen to now rather than it turning into an emergency operation in the future. Can't wait to get her home later. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

No problem. If it was bothering her then its best to get it dealt with. hope she makes a full recovery.

Advertisement