Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rainjacket impregnation

Options
  • 23-08-2012 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I have had a rainjacket for about seven years and is letting in a bit of rain. Is there any kind of spray you can get to restore its impregnability?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Best way is to use the Nikwax system.

First you wash it in TechWash, don't whatever you do wash it in normal washing detergent, it'll screw up the waterproofing big time. Personally, I even go to the extra lengths of cleaning out all the accumulated detergent gunk from around the rubber ring on the door, and doing an empty high temperature wash to remove any stubborn detergent residue, but that's possibly a bit OTT.

Then immediately do a wash using TX-Direct Wash-in and leave it to drip dry. Follow that up with either a warm (not hot) tumble dry, or if you don't have one, a going over with a cool iron.

After that you can then wash it using the TechWash stuff and that will do a bit of a top up of the waterproofing too, but it'll still need the full treatment now and then. I do mine about every 6 months or so ... 7 years is a long time!

There is a spray-on version of TX-Direct, but I've not had much success with it to be honest, and anyway after 7 years, I'd say the jacket could probably do with a wash!

Advertisement