Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please new kitty

• 23-08-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

So I have one female cat she's around a year n spoilt rotten she absolutly loves my partner he's always around though. Anyway I decided to rescue a new lil kitty she's about 3months old. Bought her home yday. My cat seems to growl when she can smell her, iv introduced them with treats for the older cat but she still growling at her
    Will they get on eventually? Or have I just lost the love of my big cat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm not an expert on this but I would say its still way too early to make any assumptions about how they will get on.
    I think cats are creatures of habit, they like things a certain way and when things change it can take them a while to get used to it.
    I'd say just make sure both cats get equal amounts of attention and treats etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I agree that its far too soon to know how they will get along. As far as your adult cat is concerned there is a strange cat in the house and cats are very territorial. I'd keep a close eye on them to make sure that the adult cat doesn't attack the kitten. Give them both lots of fuss and attention they'll probably sort it out amongst themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

We had the exact same situation over the new year. Cat No 1 will knock lumps out of the kitten for a while, the kitten will just be calling over to say hi and Cat 1 will give it a slap.

It'll settle down after about a month or so. I think it's all to do with establishing who's the dominant one.

Ours are fine now, they play together and occasionally have the odd fight but they're fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd recommend Feliway plug in,I recommend it for cat stress of every kind really. I have two adult males and I notice a huge difference when it runs out. One of my cats is an extremely jealous chap, he strayed in to us so we don't know what his story was before he came to us. He doesn't like our other cat to have any attention at all and will wallop him at times. The Feliway calms things down a lot.

The other night the jealous chap really went for our other cat, not the usual half play half get out of the room stuff, the serious trying to get at him and wallop him behind the sofa business. I checked the Feliway and it had run out. I refilled it and now peace is restored. I think the plug in is great but I found the spray useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I had the same problem. I have a female cat and at about 2 years old I tried introducing a new kitten to the house. I did everything I was supposed to do but my own cat just would not adapt. She wasn't eating or anything and in the end I had to sadly return the little kitten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

It will take a little while to resolve itself for sure.

We rescued a beautiful little 8 week old kitten back in June (female now called Bear) - we already have an eight year old female cat also (and three dogs).
    The kitten is great and very quickly settled into our household - loves the dogs.

Our older cat was having none of it really, she hissed at everyone and still will even now is she is feeling grumpy and seems still to get a little stressed out when the kitten is/was around.

So we try to let out older cat have a relatively stress free time around the house, by putting the kitten into a separate room for a while etc.
    Today our older cat actually came into the living room which she hasn't done in ages as that's where the kitten lives so very slowly we're getting somewhere three months on!
    The kitten for it's part will follow the older cat around which I will allow for a short time but then I put one of them into a separate room for a bit of peace - our vet said - our house our rules - and as adults I think they will tolerate each other but will probably never be 'friends'.
    But as your cat is much younger than 8 it may very well be happy with it's new companion in time - but I think it might take longer than 1 day!
    and best wishes on your new addition.

Advertisement