Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overvoltage blowing appliances

Options
  • 23-08-2012 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm going to look at a newly built house (I had nothing to do with wiring it but now the sh1t hits the fan guess who they call :rolleyes: ) on Saturday who are saying that they are loosing appliances like no tomorrow and they are convinced it's due to overvoltage. Now, they rang the ESB to complain,but have washed their hands of it. I'm not sure on specific details until I call out to check it myself, I'm not sure if a member of the ESB called out or not to check it but they are talking of getting a solicitor to go after them to sort it out. Where do they stand? Can the ESB fit a monitor to investigate it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

has the voltage been checked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

From what I can gather, it's around the mid 250's but I haven't seen that for myself yet. Details are sketchy until I go out Saturday but I want to be armed with as much info as possible as I haven't come across this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if its mid 250s they have a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

230V +\- 10% is all that's tolerable.

If the voltage is sitting at the top of that range, a slight spike could do damage

You can buy plug in voltage monitors in places like maplins if you want to keep an eye on it.

Usually it's close to 230V or, on the low side of it like 215 to 225V as Ireland was originally standardised on 220V

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ESB Networks delivers electricity in a voltage range of 207 Volts to 253 Volts. This is in accordance with European Standard EN50160.

My advice is to contact the ESB.

Have a look here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can the ESB fit a monitor to investigate it?

Yes. They usually fit a recorder for around two weeks, which shows the voltage levels for the time on a graph

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

has this all happened at once or have the appliances stopped working over a period of time

came across something similar once with a dropped neutral on the esb network
    in fairness to them they covered all the costs to the client including replacing tvs,dvd players,alarm panel and downlight trafos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »
    has this all happened at once or have the appliances stopped working over a period of time

came across something similar once with a dropped neutral on the esb network
    in fairness to them they covered all the costs to the client including replacing tvs,dvd players,alarm panel and downlight trafos

That would cause it alright, I was at a house with ruined appliances myself a couple if years back, neutral failed at the mini pillar.

The voltage in each house would vary according to whats on in each house that`s connected to the failed neutral, and more than one house would be affected if it was that.

Advertisement