Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I do with leaves and branches?

Options
  • 23-08-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

There are some trees which need to be cut on my land. I will be using the wood for firewood. But I am unsure what is the best thing to do with all the leaves and branches which will be left over. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You could compost them. That kind of compost is usually really good for your garden once it's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Yes compost. You can make leaf mold with the leaves, great soil conditioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I just pile that kind of stuff up to make an insect hotel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Xander_82

Would it make any sense to hire a wood chipper to chip all the branches and stuff? I would imagine that it would take quite a while for them to break down in comparison to the leaves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Wood chipper is very expensive to hire, just after cutting up some trees and was quoted 180 yoyo's a day for hire of a woodchipper. Have just piled up the branches and will leave them to dry out and burn them off in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Xander_82 wrote: »
    There are some trees which need to be cut on my land. I will be using the wood for firewood. But I am unsure what is the best thing to do with all the leaves and branches which will be left over. Any ideas?

Gather up all the leaves and make a "leaf mold" pile.

Let them rot down and you will have a fantastic medium for garden use,after some time has passed by.

The twigs can be used to make the likes of Bee and ladybird houses and resting spots.

These creatures are vital for our plants,flowers,land and our country.:)

The bigger branches can be cut up to be used as "kindling" for starting your fires at night.

Simples.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Xander_82

paddy147 wrote: »
    Gather up all the leaves and make a "leaf mold" pile.

Let them rot down and you will have a fantastic medium for garden use,after some time has passed by.

The twigs can be used to make the likes of Bee and ladybird houses and resting spots.

These creatures are vital for our plants,flowers,land and our country.:)

The bigger branches can be cut up to be used as "kindling" for starting your fires at night.

What is a Bee or Ladybird house?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

an insect hotel... :D If you build it they will come....:)

Xander_82 wrote: »
    What is a Bee or Ladybird house?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭intbn

Oldtree wrote: »
    an insect hotel... biggrin.gif If you build it they will come....smile.gif

sounds more like a motel you're talking about oldtree;) lol

cheap (as in free) and easy way to make a ladybird hotel.

When your Alliums have died and you have collected all the seeds from them......use the allium stalks to make a ladybird hotel.

Allium stalks are hollow and ladybirds love them.

Advertisement