Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth getting in touch with CAO

• 23-08-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I got an offer for a course in UCC in first round but I was hoping to do the same course in Trinity, which is the same points but with a star*. My brother is in Trinity about to start his final year doing the same course.

I was wondering is it worth getting in touch with CAO and ask them for special reconsideration for secnd round offers as my whole family is based in Dublin and sending me to Cork would put a big financial burden on my family. I have enough points for my course in Trinity but missed it on random selection, also my brother is doing the same course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

I doubt they'd take that into consideration if I'm honest, the system is harsh but it has to remain impartial. However, I wouldn't give up hope yet, if you only missed by random selection you're in with a decent chance of second round offers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

That kind of defeats the purpose of random selection for starred courses. It's an unfortunate situation, but they can't deny other people (with the same points as you) a fair shot at the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

They might but their response would be that you shouldn't have put Cork down on your CAO if you were not willing to go there. The process is designed in a way that you put down only courses you would accept and that you have them in order or preference :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The CAO wouldn't get involved in a case like that. Try Trinity themselves, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

hercolis wrote: »
    I got an offer for a course in UCC in first round but I was hoping to do the same course in Trinity, which is the same points but with a star*. My brother is in Trinity about to start his final year doing the same course.

I was wondering is it worth getting in touch with CAO and ask them for special reconsideration for secnd round offers as my whole family is based in Dublin and sending me to Cork would put a big financial burden on my family. I have enough points for my course in Trinity but missed it on random selection, also my brother is doing the same course.

The CAO won't do anything for you, as to give you special preference would mean that you were given an advantage over other students in the same situation. Why should you get special preference just because the rest of your family is in Dublin?

If they were to do that, then everyone would be at it and the whole system would be corrupt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement