Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surreal Interview

Options
  • 23-08-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Still a bit perplexed by this and just wondering if someone could possibly offer some insight; maybe from previous experience or something.

I had an interview yesterday with a company located in the Cork Airport Business Park. It went grand enough but halfway through the interview, my interviewer basically stopped the interview to go on his iPhone. Now the iPhone was originally placed flat on the table. He took maybe a minute or 2 to dink around with it. He then placed the iPhone on it's side resting against a glass with the camera facing me. He then resumed the interview and when the interview finished he basically touched the screen once.

Now, I went to leave, as you would and I was told to hang on for a few minutes. He came back and then said to hang on another few minutes as there was an opportunity for another interview. Now, I pretty much was in shock as to why this happened and was shocked further that there was mention of another interview.

The interviewer went to speak to the HR person hosting the interviews and then came back to say that everything was pretty much done.

Now I don't know if this interviewer was recording me for a specific question, or if they were playing angry birds or texting someone. But, surely I should've been notified of whether I was being recorded or not.

Anyone have any insight into this because I'm pretty much freaked out at this occurrence.

I should've asked what the craic was, but with the pressure of the interview and not being employed for the past 3.5 years I just didn't know what to think. I will however say it to the HR person when they call to let me know whether I have the job or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Ask away with questions as well, I don't think I provided enough information. I'm just kinda' shook by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Was it by any chance an interview with an Irish bank up there?

Nope, call centre. I'd prefer not to name them though, just in case.

My idea is, I applied for a general role but they were also taking applications for Team Leaders. I've previous experience of leading teams and I based my interview on this, to show that I'm pretty much not taking the job for granted and that I'm willing to pretty much give 200% for the role.

Now maybe, he considered to put me forward for a TL role, I don't know? Or maybe, the HR guy sitting out in reception was able to view the interview from the laptop he was using. But, I should've been informed of this beforehand. It really unnerved me and could prove to be detrimental in my prospects of getting a role with this company.

I've been trying my hardest to get a job for so long, like sending applications out daily. I've applied for this company like 8 times and only received a call for one application. Every other time was pretty much ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I had an interview once at Oracle and after the interview they said I am probably suitable for a different role, and I then had a second interview. I got the job from the second interview. So I think the concept of there being a second interview for a different job is OK. I also think the concept of the second interview simply being someone else interviewing you for the same job is OK too.

Was he filming you? Impossible to say. It does sound like that's what he was doing. Why I don't know. Maybe he is simply an immature fool who thought you were cute and wanted to show you to his friends. Who knows!

My advice to you is this: what positive results will come out of worrying about this incident? The answer of course is there will be no positive results; only negatives. So stop worrying and fingers crossed you get the job. :)

PS Do not mention it to the HR person! You have nothing to gain from doing this. Worst case scenario, he wasn't actually filming you, so you will come across as a crazy person. Please, just forget about it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

pandaboy wrote: »
    Still a bit perplexed by this and just wondering if someone could possibly offer some insight; maybe from previous experience or something.

I had an interview yesterday with a company located in the Cork Airport Business Park. It went grand enough but halfway through the interview, my interviewer basically stopped the interview to go on his iPhone. Now the iPhone was originally placed flat on the table. He took maybe a minute or 2 to dink around with it. He then placed the iPhone on it's side resting against a glass with the camera facing me. He then resumed the interview and when the interview finished he basically touched the screen once.

Now, I went to leave, as you would and I was told to hang on for a few minutes. He came back and then said to hang on another few minutes as there was an opportunity for another interview. Now, I pretty much was in shock as to why this happened and was shocked further that there was mention of another interview.

The interviewer went to speak to the HR person hosting the interviews and then came back to say that everything was pretty much done.

Now I don't know if this interviewer was recording me for a specific question, or if they were playing angry birds or texting someone. But, surely I should've been notified of whether I was being recorded or not.

Anyone have any insight into this because I'm pretty much freaked out at this occurrence.

I should've asked what the craic was, but with the pressure of the interview and not being employed for the past 3.5 years I just didn't know what to think. I will however say it to the HR person when they call to let me know whether I have the job or not.

Sounds to me like he Skyped or face timed someone so they could see you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

3DataModem wrote: »
    Sounds to me like he Skyped or face timed someone so they could see you.

Yep, that or called someone so they could listen in. I wouldnt worry.

I have often interviewed someone who didn't fit my requirements but felt they may be more suitable for another group. In this case, the interviewer probably just called them, and thats why they needed to check after the meeting if that person was interested in taking it further, or it was prearranged that they would call that person to add them (may have been in a another meeting until that time).

Thanks for the comments everyone. I was pretty much shook when it happened and I'm praying that it didn't screw up my interview. Like, if it's the case of showing someone else my interview then it should've been set up before I went inside. I was frustrated at that.

RE talking to the HR guy. If I don't get the role I'll mention it of course using examples from previous interviews so I don't come across as a paranoid crazy!

Fingers crossed anyway. Thanks again :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Recording your voice to see if you have a suitable phone voice? See if you can be understood etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

It's a little bit odd alright, but I wouldn't worry about it now.

If you got the job, great, and does it really matter if you were recorded? I'd imagine interviews are recorded from time to time without informing candidates in advance.

If you didn't get the job, I still wouldn't mention it ... he was obviously interested, if he asked you to do the second interview, so you never know - even if you didn't get offered this time, he may keep you in mind for next time. And, if he wasn't recording you, he might think it's really strange that you thought he was!

Could it have been a case that he did it to see how you reacted, to see if it would throw you off?

Got a call anyway. Thanks for the advice everyone. I think it was to push me forward for another position. There was supposed to be one single interview, I've now got a second interview with the Operations Manager on Monday. I asked the HR guy about this when he called, just mentioned that I was informed of a second interview after the first one and he said that I'm still being considered for the role I applied for, plus another role. Fingers crossed, and I will keep this page updated about results.

Thank you again. I was a bit of a wreck before I wrote this. Just really eager to work again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement