Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ramble Aid West Dublin 5k series - 3 x 5k @ €5 each!

Options
  • 23-08-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭

http://www.rambleaid.ie/index.php/routes
    Just got an email about this mini-series happening in West dublin over the Sundays of Sept 8th, 15th and 23rd. A different park each time and each race is just €5! Great value.

The 23rd clashes with Rathfarnham for some people but difficult choices will have to be made!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bros Pearse are helping out with the one in Tymon (and getting a defibrillator out of it if enough is raised :))

These are fun runs. The emphasis is on getting people out and active, whether that is running, cycling, or walking the route. (The routes are also wheelchair-accessible.) It isn't about finish times - there is no prize fund for the winners, or official times for participants - it's about getting as many people as possible to take part.

So, if you come expecting a race you'll be disappointed. But if you have friends and family that want to take more exercise, are thinking of starting to run, or like to go for a jog themselves but are intimidated by races - this is the place to bring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Just giving this a quick bump. Its cheap and for a good cause, even if its a fun run and I'll head out to the first one this Sunday in Lucan. If it works out well, I might also go for the Tymon Park one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Aimman wrote: »
    Just giving this a quick bump. Its cheap and for a good cause, even if its a fun run and I'll head out to the first one this Sunday in Lucan. If it works out well, I might also go for the Tymon Park one.

Hope to see you there Aimman!
    Any chance of Sub 20?

belcarra wrote: »
    Hope to see you there Aimman!
    Any chance of Sub 20?

Absolutely, Once the course is measured short! :D

Lots of posters and fliers turning up for this event, the council are giving it a good push. Anyone else planning to run one (or all three) of these?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ill be there racin aimman:p........and hopfully getin sum cake off ally

ultraman1 wrote: »
    ill be there racin aimman:p........and hopfully getin sum cake off ally

You can have all the cake you can eat, as long as it's just before the race ;)

great turn out for this today,well organised, nice route,nice cuppa and a biscuit after it,and um1 junior even won a prize..well worth doin the one next week and followin in tymon and corkagh parks and only a fiver ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

great turn out for this today,well organised, nice route,nice cuppa and a biscuit after it,and um1 junior even won a prize..well worth doin the one next week and followin in tymon and corkagh parks and only a fiver ...

Yeah but did you beat Aimman?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah but did you beat Aimman?
    the word beat wudnt do me justice....:D

• Advertisement

the word beat wudnt do me justice....:D

Well, lets just wait for the official results as proof, otherwise it didn't happen. .... :rolleyes: ..... :confused:..... doh! :p

Or maybe post your garmin stats for the race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Hi folks,

Was a nice morning in Griffeen valley park yesterday for the 5k and good to see such a good turnout. And a good cause.

Just wondering if anybody knows how accurate the course distance was. I thought it seemed longer and chatted another runner who thought it was roughly 300m over the 5k.

Anybody with a good GPS or in the know as to the exact distance?

Tommy Max wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Was a nice morning in Griffeen valley park yesterday for the 5k and good to see such a good turnout. And a good cause.

Just wondering if anybody knows how accurate the course distance was. I thought it seemed longer and chatted another runner who thought it was roughly 300m over the 5k.

Anybody with a good GPS or in the know as to the exact distance?

there was that many twists and turns(20),and the bit under the trees x 2 laps that wud render a gps more inaccurate than they are,...edit,dont trust gps anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was 100-150m too long. ultraman is right that the small section under tree cover caused my watch to get a little confused, but this should still be adjusted for when the data is uploaded.

My Garmin registered it at 5.15km, Strava corrected it to 5.12km.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220543107

Trace seems fairly accurate, you can see where it did some guessing under the trees though. Enough to throw it off by 150m? I don't know.

I presume you ran on the paths? If you switch to the google map option, and turn on bike lanes, paths and trails, you can see that the red line your Garmin thinks you ran doesn't follow the paths exactly.

A garmin is a training tool, not a course measurement device.

It was a good run, well organised. Cant complain for a fiver. No prizes, chip timing or official results, but just a way of getting people out to put a few quid into the sporting community.

There were proper race numbers, marshals, an inflatable Start/Finish line which, considering the path layout, it would have been difficult to have an accurate distance on the path and still have the Start and Finish in the same area, but it was close enough for the money.They did wave starts for bikes, then runners and then walkers behind. There was a photographer on site taking free shots of everyone. Even a music/puppet show to keep Ultraman amused, and boy, does he know how to do the macaraina!

And some refreshments back in the hall afterwards.

Seemed to be a good turnout last week, from the photos. Anyone doing this weekend?
    (Can't make it myself, it's the kid's first XC league race)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RayCun wrote: »
    Seemed to be a good turnout last week, from the photos. Anyone doing this weekend?
    (Can't make it myself, it's the kid's first XC league race)

I've signed myself and the little man up for this. His first 5k. I will so have to hold him back at the start! :D

(I can still help out before the race Ray)

Advertisement