Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to xbox live using meteor dongle

Options
  • 23-08-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Tried several things here and still can't connect... (using windows 7 professional)

I have my dongle plugged into my XPS desktop and then a cable running from my desktop to my xbox. I have gone into network and sharing centre and clicked "change adapter settings"

Then I click on my midband connection and click "properties" and from there I click the sharing tab and click "allow other network users to connect through this computers network connection"

It lets me connect to xbox live but not marketplace etc...seems the nat is set to moderate? I can't figure out how to change it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Could it be that my mcafee security is blocking ports? Mcafee also runs my firewall?

Opened 6 ports on my mcafee and that seems to have done the trick.

Should have tried that before posting, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

how is the speed and how much is it costing you if you dont mind me asking?
    Wanted to do this but unsure of whether its worth it

TheGunns wrote: »
    how is the speed and how much is it costing you if you dont mind me asking?
    Wanted to do this but unsure of whether its worth it

I usually get around 5Mbps-6Mbps download - 2Mbps upload with a ping of 40ms-60ms

Costs me €25 per month for 50GB of data

I'm fairly happy with it but before you go jumping into buying anything you should get a pre paid dongle from them and try it out in your area. Speeds and connection can vary a huge amount from place to place.

I was with three before and had to go to comreg to end my contract with them because I was getting speeds of 0.01Mbps while others in different parts of the country were getting 10Mbps download speed.

My current ping is ok for online gaming but there is some lag and I never pull host.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

LaVail wrote: »
    I usually get around 5Mbps-6Mbps download - 2Mbps upload with a ping of 40ms-60ms

Costs me €25 per month for 50GB of data

I'm fairly happy with it but before you go jumping into buying anything you should get a pre paid dongle from them and try it out in your area. Speeds and connection can vary a huge amount from place to place.

I was with three before and had to go to comreg to end my contract with them because I was getting speeds of 0.01Mbps while others in different parts of the country were getting 10Mbps download speed.

My current ping is ok for online gaming but there is some lag and I never pull host.

thanks for the reply
    Might give the prepaid ones a go or might just get upc wireless or something like that

sound for replying

• Advertisement

TheGunns wrote: »
    thanks for the reply
    Might give the prepaid ones a go or might just get upc wireless or something like that

sound for replying

No worries for the reply but if you can get UPC then go for it....UPC is broadband and meteor etc are only midband. You would have a far better connection with UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I wasn't even aware you could use a meteor dongle to connect to xbox live. Could some put up a step by step guide to achieving this? I currently use my xbox through my PC monitor and have my dongle connected to my PC. Do I just need to get an ethernet cable to connect my xbox and PC?

I wasn't even aware you could use a meteor dongle to connect to xbox live. Could some put up a step by step guide to achieving this? I currently use my xbox through my PC monitor and have my dongle connected to my PC. Do I just need to get an ethernet cable to connect my xbox and PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 duckie360

Hi all, does anyone use the three mifi dongle to connect to xbox live?
    How much data does an average 1 hour gaming session use?
    I have a "Ping" of about 75 and an average download speed of 4 mb/s and upload of about 1.50 mb/s.

Thanks in advance fellow gamers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

duckie360 wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone use the three mifi dongle to connect to xbox live?
    How much data does an average 1 hour gaming session use?
    I have a "Ping" of about 75 and an average download speed of 4 mb/s and upload of about 1.50 mb/s.

Thanks in advance fellow gamers...

Hey to answer your question on how much 1 hr session is I read it's only 4-5 mb as your only connecting to ppl everything thing else is on disc. I could be wrong tho. I think I read it on a bt leaflet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I used to use my Meteor dongle for playing COD.
    id get about 2-3 hours of gameplay for in around 100mb or so.
    Not bad.
    Only problem was, my upload was quite bad.

When I get home from work, I'll post the link to the instructions I used.

Thanks guys, mighty helpful.
    Just making sure I can get connected before buying the wireless adapter.

Looking forward to having ye in my cross-hairs when I do get online!!

Thanks again and keep any info regardless how small coming....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

When I moved into my new house I only have a dongle until we got the proper fixed line sorted, and I was surprised at how decent it was, considering I had assumed it'd never work with Live well enough to actually do anything. I was able to play online provided I wasn't playing games too large, spent the week playing 4v4 in Space Marine. :p

Thanks Terror Firmer!!
    I have the Three Wifi dongle and it's pretty good thankfully as there doesn't seem to be any sign of fixed line in the area.
    Tried connecting to the PS3 (I have the newer one with built in Wifi that I use as my Blu-Ray player) and it works perfectly.
    Next stop is to Xbox Wifi adaptor land.....

Advertisement