Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate/housemate/ but roommate?!

Options
  • 23-08-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

I used to share houses with housemates and flats with flatmates, but I strongly objected to sharing a room at a time when landlords would squeeze in as many single beds as possible into a room and advertise it as 'suitable for 4 girls/men'. There'd be barely enough room to stand between the beds. And the single beds were specially narrow ones, so as to prevent any fraternising with the opposite sex (same sex sharing was entirely innocent in those days, except maybe for guys). That was back in the 70s.

Nowadays most people expect a room of their own. But they call the people they share with 'Roommates'. Nuts! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I used to share houses with housemates and flats with flatmates, but I strongly objected to sharing a room at a time when landlords would squeeze in as many single beds as possible into a room and advertise it as 'suitable for 4 girls/men'. There'd be barely enough room to stand between the beds. And the single beds were specially narrow ones, so as to prevent any fraternising with the opposite sex (same sex sharing was entirely innocent in those days, except maybe for guys). That was back in the 70s.

Nowadays most people expect a room of their own. But they call the people they share with 'Roommates'. Nuts! :confused:

Hmmm Im in a house share i call the others house mates actually . Room mate would be a person in the same room:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

I know some people and none of them refer to their housemates or flatmates as roomates (nor do I).

As a general rule if they share the house with you they are house mates, and if they share a flat with you they are flat mates.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Also with a changing demographic room sharing has become alot more common. Mainly among young foreign nationals who are over here to learn english and don't care where they sleep. A bit like Irish students on the J1.

If I was young and living abroad I'd much rather share a room in a nice apartment than have my own room in a run down bedsit.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I wouldnt share a room with someone, Maybe i'm weird like that, But i like to have my own space. not that i'm one of them people who hides in their room all the time, but its nice to have the option of not having to deal with people all the time.
    (relationships are different)

I've a flat mate. not a room mate. Unless your willing to have someone there in *your* room all the time, Dont get a flat mate. I'd rather my own room in a run down place then a shared room in a lovely place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

When I first moved to Dublin a few yrs back I saw an ad for a bedshare. I kid you not. it was recomended that you were not taller than 5'4.

It was sharing with a chinese student. €350 per month!!

Scumbag landlords are to blame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

It's probably just another Americanism creeping in - roommate = housemate/flatmate in the US

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's probably just another Americanism creeping in - roommate = housemate/flatmate in the US

This. Also Americans share rooms a lot in college. So they say roommate, and then Irish people start using it. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

dory wrote: »
    This. Also Americans share rooms a lot in college. So they say roommate, and then Irish people start using it. :rolleyes:

No, it's more to do with the fact that some people are stupid and don't understand the difference.

I don't know anybody who would be stupid enough to call their house/flatmates their room mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

yes.... but see other replies.

I suppose the question arose for me as there are so many threads here mentioning "roommates" - even in the title!! :eek:

(Also, we have that wonderful word 'flatmate' - Americans don't have flats, they have apartments, but 'apartmentmate' is a bit of a mouthful. Let's hear it for the flatmate! Yay!)

Advertisement