Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a second dog

• 23-08-2012 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

We got a collie x about a year ago from a rescue centre and he's settled in quite well. Excellent guard dog but also great with our kids. I'm thinking about getting another dog (a bitch actually as I've heard two males might not get along). The thing is, the rescue centre that we got him from has had a lot of bad reviews online with people saying that they sell puppies. I know myself that our dog, who had supposedly been vaccinated by this rescue centre became ill shortly after we got him and it took a course of antibiotics and a full set of vaccinations to get him in tip top health. So I'm not inclined to go back to them to get another rescue dog.

The quandary is that lately we've been turned down by other rescue centres on the grounds that our garden is not secure - in their opinion. My acre is fenced all round and my dog has never gotten out but this doesn't satisfy these rescue centres. They have given me the impression that only walled in four bed semis with postage stamps for gardens are satisfactory. This is very annoying as apart from our largish tract of land, there is open countryside and great walking areas around where i live that would keep any dog happy. My own fella is quite inquisitive but even he has never managed to escape from our garden.

So it looks like my option is to get a puppy instead of another rescue. However I'm wary of being suckered into getting a "puppy farmed" dog. I don't want to encourage those type of enterprises. I'm not interested in buying a pure bred as I believe x breeds have more personality and are not prone to inherited medical problems. So where do I look? The likes of Donedeal have hundreds of puppies for sale but like I said, how do you distinguish a pup from a good home from a puppy farmed one who has been transplanted into someone's house when you come to visit?

I'd like to get a companion for my dog to keep him company. Sure he has me for his daily walks and he loves playing with the kids but every time he sees another dog, his tail almost wags off him. I'm sure he'd love a friend to share "his" garden with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Go to your local pound, they don't homecheck and you're still saving a life without supporting puppy farms, bybs and online sites that advertise those pups. Ask them to give you a call if any pups come in.

You could be waiting a few weeks but there are always pups and dogs less than 4 months coming into pounds.

Am presuming you're in Prosperous so will pm a list of pounds in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Toulouse wrote: »
    Go to your local pound, they don't homecheck and you're still saving a life without supporting puppy farms, bybs and online sites that advertise those pups. Ask them to give you a call if any pups come in.

You could be waiting a few weeks but there are always pups and dogs less than 4 months coming into pounds.

Am presuming you're in Prosperous so will pm a list of pounds in your area.

+1

I got my last dog from a dog pound that deals with Dublin strays, even though I live in the midlands.

Many pounds, and rescues that deal with pounds, post on the internet when dogs arrive. This is how I found my last rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

It's the "home check" that is knocking us back. Never mind that we have an acre of a site in the countryside and that our dog is obviously very happy and well cared for, the rescue centres that have come out to us tut, tut over the boundaries, even though my energetic 18 month old collie has never escaped. I know they are trying to safeguard their rescue dogs, which is laudable, but I think some of them are very extreme in their views, to the point that they will do "follow up checks" to make sure the dog is cared for and "they reserve the right to take the dog back". I'd love to give another rescue a good home but these places and their rules and regulations have made me decide to go for a puppy instead.

Just have to check around to see if anyone has had a litter of collie type pups so I can get a friend for my dog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, I think the point the other posters are making is that if you go to a pound, there is no home check system, nor follow-up. The county pounds simply hold strays for 5 days, and are free to dispose of them then, whether that be via rehoming, or euthanasia.
    I am pretty sure I know which shelter you got your current dog from, and pounds would be even less strict than that shelter is with regard to rehoming dogs. It is a simple model that a person shows up, chooses a dog, pays the fee, and brings the dog home, and that's the end of it.
    I hope that clarifies things for you. Good luck with your search.:)

Cheers. I guess I've been confusing certain shelters with pounds. And I'd say you have guessed where I got my dog from and I wouldn't go back to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

to be fair to the rescues they want to reduce the possiblity of a dog bouncing back to them. Is it possible for you to enclose at least a part of your outdoor space?

You also have to remember what do you do if you take a dog from a pound and it doesnt work out - what happens to the dog then.

Ok - thats the rescue hat put aside.
    Another option, apart from approaching pounds directly is contact your local vet. Quite often they have post ads for clients who have unwanted litters or dogs looking for a home. Just, please dont pay a silly sum for a cross breed.

Good luck with your search.

Inexile wrote: »
    to be fair to the rescues they want to reduce the possiblity of a dog bouncing back to them. Is it possible for you to enclose at least a part of your outdoor space?

You also have to remember what do you do if you take a dog from a pound and it doesnt work out - what happens to the dog then.

Ok - thats the rescue hat put aside.
    Another option, apart from approaching pounds directly is contact your local vet. Quite often they have post ads for clients who have unwanted litters or dogs looking for a home. Just, please dont pay a silly sum for a cross breed.

Good luck with your search.

If you saw my land, you'd think it's a great space for a dog, lots of room to run around and it is fenced in all the way round, just not to the 6 foot plus height the rescue centres required. I already have a rescue dog for over a year now and hes a happy dog. I would have thought we'd pass their "tests". Ok enough of the rescue centres.

I'll try the pounds and my local vets as you advise to see if we can get ourselves another dog. Tbh, I'd have preferred an older dog as they usually come house trained and they'd be able to keep up with my 18 month old collie. A puppy will wear itself out chasing after my present furball:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Your place does sound great - if you get a smaller dog you wont need a six foot fence! I volunteer for a greyhound rescue and we would look for a 4 foot - 4.5 fence - unless the dog is a jumper.

Vets may also have ads for older dogs too . Also try vets outside your area.

I've a male collie x at the moment and I'm thinking about getting another collie. I was looking for a female collie as I've heard two males might end up fighting, or is this true? If two males could get along, it would broaden my search.

Anyone got any experience of two male dogs and how do they get along? My own dog is very sociable around other dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I've a male collie x at the moment and I'm thinking about getting another collie. I was looking for a female collie as I've heard two males might end up fighting, or is this true? If two males could get along, it would broaden my search.

Anyone got any experience of two male dogs and how do they get along? My own dog is very sociable around other dogs.

Theres no reason why two male dogs shouldn't get along, I would recommend that both be neutered though, eases any tension and is especially good if there is a female anywhere near you as males can smell a bitch in heat up to a square mile away and it will drive them mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

We have two male dogs and we haven't experienced too many problems. The older dog is about 10, would have been about 7 when we got the most recent addition who was just a puppy. I don't think the older chap was too pleased with having to share food, space, and attention, and he's often left looking somewhat bewildered as the other lad races around him in circles like a mad thing, but there haven't been any issues really. The older dog adopted the dominant role, and if we put down a plate of treats he'll eat the whole thing rather than let the younger dog have any. He'll also growl if the other dog comes too close to his food, but then he does that to us anyway! Anyway, long story short, we haven't had any major issues mixing it with two males. Indeed, I'd rather two males over a male and a female because I don't particularly want two dogs humping alongside me while I'm trying to watch the tv!!:pac:

Oh, to add...our aren't neutered. Probably should have done it, but never even thought of it at the time, and not sure I want the chaps to go through that now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The worst combination in a 2-dog household, in terms of likelihood of serious aggression between them, is two related females. Then two related males. Then two unrelated females. Then two unrelated males. Then a male and a female. All in that order, in my experience.
    The likelihood is greater with certain breeds. For instance, terriers are more independent and fiery by nature, and some breeds are well known for being "dog hot" (I'm looking at you, Kerry Blues!).
    So, having two male, non-terrier dogs has a good enough chance of succeeding. At this stage, it's very much down to the individual dogs. The fact that your fella is very sociable with other dogs is great, but you need to choose the second fella carefully to make sure he's very dog-social too. For instance, it'd be nice to know he has lived happily with other dogs before.
    As for getting them neutered, this is not something I would race into doing unless there's a chance they might escape and procreate. But if there does turn out to be a problem between them, it can be helpful to neuter the less pushy dog.. you won't know this until you get to know the newbie. If problems emerge between them, having both neutered doesn't really sort anything out, it keeps them on an even footing, which was probably causing the problem in the first place!
    So, if you opt for another male, choose very carefully.
    For the record, the incidence of problems between a male and female must be said to be substantially less than any other combination, it is by far the safest choice from the outset, as there just isn't the same "wait and see" thing you'd have with two males, especially if the newbie is a pup or pre-adult.
    So, were it me, I would continue to concentrate on finding a nice, dog-friendly female (spayed), but I'd have it in mind that if the right male comes along, there's no need to disbar him just because he's male.
    I hope that helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

DBB wrote: »
    some breeds are well known for being "dog hot" (I'm looking at you, Kerry Blues!).

:D Ha ha I was just about to advise Prosperous Dave to be wary of Kerry Blues due to their super high jump abilities. 4.5ft just wouldn't contain a KB (or mine anyway). Peculiar ability for a medium sized dog.

What other breeds would easily clear 4.5ft? Huskies? Just something to bear in mind OP. That's a lot of land to have to think about re-securing if it turns out the new dog can get out.

Thanks to all for the advice. Perhaps I shouldnt be so quick to rule out another male dog as I too don't fancy trying to explain to my young kids what our dog would probably be doing to a bitch:o

Of course, a nice female dog would be welcome but she'd have to be spayed otherwise I'd end up with a lot of puppies that I probably wouldn't want to part with. I never had our fella neutered as he's not aggressive, pushy, dominant or prone to straying.

Advertisement