Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do landlords have to provide blinds?

Options
  • 23-08-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all, My mother is renting out a house at the min and the tenant has her driven mad with requests. Most of which i won't go into here. She was due to stay for 3 months and was gievn a lower rate. She then said she wanted to stay on for another 2 weeks, then another month, etc etc. So she's been there for 6 months and is staying for another 6 at this point. My mother told her that if she was long term they'd be charging her normal rent(they took her in last min as a 'favour' to a mutual friend). The girl accepted but is disgusted. Sicne then its a new demand every day most of which i'm thinking that as a landlord they don't have to do. She found the mattress uncomfortable and put it on the back garden in the rain where it was destroyed and demanded a new mattress! Now she wants a new heater, house does have central heating but there is a little one in bedroom also, she also wants new blinds because she thinks people can see in the house :confused: Am i right in thinking that the blinds and extra heaters are not the landlords responsibility to replace them just because she doesn't like them? Or does anyone have any other feedback with this? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jomc wrote: »
    My mother told her that if she was long term they'd be charging her normal rent(they took her in last min as a 'favour' to a mutual friend).
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_increases.html
    Increase the rent, and if she wants to leave, let her. I'm thinking that the reason she needed a place was because the last landlord got sick of her.

If the windows have curtains, I don't see why you'd have to provide blinds. Nor do you have to provide her with an electric heater, as she sounds like the sort that will moan about the increased electric bill that will come with the electric heater!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Tell your mother to deduct the cost of a new matress from her deposit (assuming she gave one) as she damaged it deliberately.

If the house has a working central heating system that services every room then there is no obligation to provide futher heaters. If the tenant wants another heater let her get one herself.

If there are curtains on the windows then there is no obligation to provide blinds. Im not even sure that she is obliged to provide curtains.

Has the tenant been living there for more or less than 6 months? If its less then ask them them leave now, before they are there 6 months. After 6 months they aquire part 4 tenancy rights and can stay a further 3 and a half years where you only have a few reasons where you can legally ask them to leave. Prior to 6 months they can be asked to leave at any time for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Agreed. Get rid of her asap. You'll be driven demented with her and she sounds the type who might also stop paying rent tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

djimi wrote: »
    Prior to 6 months they can be asked to leave at any time for any reason.
    - provided appropriate notice is given.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

As a Landlord, no matter how desperate you are to have a house occupied, no tennant is better than a bad one. You are NOT obligated to supply her with blinds, as for the mattress it is your property and she has damaged it, deduct it from her bond.
    We had two prospective Tenants for a property, one wanted me to run her for shopping every week, the other wanted to bring his three dogs but made it clear he 'rescues animals' No chance did not even give them chance to view the property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement