Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wave?

• 23-08-2012 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Pretty much all the UK MH drivers wave when meeting on the road, do ye lot?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

I always wave to motorhomes / caravans (and flash the lights at caravans) but get very poor response. Met another caravan as I was leaving a site yesterday and he was coming in. The driver looked at me like I had two heads when I waved. UK reg Range Rover so the opposite experience to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Pretty much all the UK MH drivers wave when meeting on the road, do ye lot?

As do French, German, Spanish, etc. etc., a person is in danger of getting a repetitive strain injury to to the arm in France as so much waving goes on :D

We wave and notice that quite a few others here at home seem to wave also. I think its all down to the comradery between us, though I must say the French are the friendliest we have come across, particularly if you can speak a few words of their language.

db wrote: »
    I always wave to motorhomes / caravans (and flash the lights at caravans) but get very poor response. Met another caravan as I was leaving a site yesterday and he was coming in. The driver looked at me like I had two heads when I waved. UK reg Range Rover so the opposite experience to you.

Hmmmm, never thought of it as a caravan thing, we tugged all over Ireland, the UK and Europe for over 20 years before we got the MH and can't recall any waving or flashing between caravanners. In over 80k kms in the mh we have never once bee waved or flashed at by a tugger. I think it's only a motorhomers 'thing'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Definitely always wave at MH's.

Rarely if ever wave at caravaners.

Yes, I'm a MH snob :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Used to always wave when in the old camper (Merc 310d) but in the new one not many people look at my bus (VW T4 Caravelle) as a camper so I don't wave anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

We always wave, find it hard for the first few trips back in the car not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Yes and try to include the PVCs as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Yes all the time, to other MH, unless lost in thought :rolleyes: Most, in excess of 90%, wave back.

I uphold the white-van-driver code of honour. I don't think that's the same thing but it involves waving sometimes.
    I'd flash anything that's the same/similar chasis.
    And there's always the odd road-warrior out there I have to salute.

Oh yeah and everyone on country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 motherofdivine

Got our first wave today, was a bit confused at first...but then I remembered, I am part of a new fraternity, cant wait to get our camper sorted so we can hit the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Always wave to MH's and usually returned in kind. Cannot see reason to do same to caravans and dont do it.
    In France and Germany same experience - most wave unless separated on Motorways so too far apart so means no real need.

When return to car at home notice all MHs like never before and have to avoid waving - would look a bit mad to do it from car really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 1100shadow

stevire wrote: »
    Used to always wave when in the old camper (Merc 310d) but in the new one not many people look at my bus (VW T4 Caravelle) as a camper so I don't wave anymore!

Same as me . I wave to all fellow vw owners mostly get a wave. There were loads on the road coming down from donegal on monday plenty of pop tops as well.

I have to say I am a bit surprised by those MH'ers who wave at other motorhomes but not caravans. Would you not say hello on site either and pass by with your nose in the air ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

My missis thinks the waving thing is really cringe so I give an extra large salute just to get on her goat.
    I've perfected steering the van with my knee... Two hands over my head waving like a mad man... Sometimes with the Tongue out!!
    Marty

I have to say I am a bit surprised by those MH'ers who wave at other motorhomes but not caravans. Would you not say hello on site either and pass by with your nose in the air ?

It's not a snob thing, it's a fraternity thing.
    I was a caravanner for over 20 years and waving is just not part of the caravanning thing, unless like in a car you actually know the person.
    I have no idea of how or why it got started between motorhome users, it just seem to be part of our 'culture', perhaps it dates back to the early 80's when we were the exception and there were only a few of us on the road in a limited range of marques.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    My missis thinks the waving thing is really cringe so I give an extra large salute just to get on her goat.

I think we've married the same woman Marty.

Exactly what happens in our MH. Love it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I raised this question a couple of years ago because I found that I was waving to others but getting no response.

I started doing it when I bought the camper because years ago, in the UK, I was a coach driver for 5 years or so, not buses just coaches, and all coach drivers acknowledged each other in this way and were always there for a helping hand. We looked on ourselves as part of a club I suppose.

Also here in the west if you're on an R road you'll find that everybody waves, even pedestrians, regardless of what you're driving.

2 years on from asking this question I still find that the vast majority, including foreign 'vans, don't respond.

But I'll keep waving anyway, it makes me happy.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

In France and arm is sore waving. I noticed a lot of A class drivers won't wave at me in my coach built so I just ignore them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

We always wave to other MH's unless totally lost in thought. Most wave back, whether foreign or not. Of course on the smaller country roads it's imperative that you raise a hand in salute to cars, cyclists and pedestrians alike, it's part of our culture and it's nice to be nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We wave, on our recent trip i would say only got 50% return though. still wave the vw's but they don't wave back really anymore :-(

It's not snobbish not waving to caravans , just not what we're driving. do caravanners wave to trailer tents?

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's not snobbish not waving to caravans , just not what we're driving. do caravanners wave to trailer tents?

That's a bit of a silly point - it's difficult to spot a trailer tent on the back of a car.

I would have thought it to be more of a camaraderie type thing where we're likely to bump into each other on a site someday rather than driving the same type of vehicle. Do you wave at people who drive the same make of car as you ?

I'm starting to sound a bit needy here so I think I'll make myself a giant middle finger to wave at motorhomes in future:D

I'm starting to sound a bit needy here so I think I'll make myself a giant middle finger to wave at motorhomes in future:D

Ooooohhhhhhh, dangerous post in a Motorhome and Campervan forum. No wonder we don't wave at your kind ;)

I think you're in the wrong place if you're a tugger.

Do you not have your own forum to go to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

When I drove a VW there was a whole lot of waving going on but it made sense because if you saw another bay or split in a campsite you would always walk over for a chat.

I don't get it with MH's cause there's so many of them and people just aren't that chatty on campsites. That said I usually wave, especially at foreign regs to
    make them feel welcome and if someone waves I'll always wave back.

I never wave at caravans and they've never waved at me. I've never thought about why and tbh I don't really care. I'm just not into them in any way shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Always wave at anything that looks like a MH. I've waved to the odd white delivery van / horsebox at times by mistake and got some funny looks in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

hi had to laugh when i saw this very funny. i always wave though have noticed some of the really fancy campers dont wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Definitely always wave at MH's.

Rarely if ever wave at caravaners as they don't wave back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

These comments make it sound as though we look down on caravaners.

Which we do, of course, because we're sitting higher than them:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Swanner wrote: »
    When I drove a VW there was a whole lot of waving going on but it made sense because if you saw another bay or split in a campsite you would always walk over for a chat.
    And not wedge's? Snob! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Fair cop :-) I left them out of the post. Always wave to wedges too although sometimes they don't wave back !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I get funny looks when collecting new ones, driving with no number plates, the wave gets a little puzzled from the MHs I meet! : )

Advertisement