Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Level Maths

• 23-08-2012 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm repeating and I'm wondering if any of ye rec to take up or took up Honours Maths ?
    I'm thinking if I got a D3 it would be 45 plus the 25 bonus Maths points?
    I can use them for counting up subjects for points ya?
    Say got like 5 C1s and then that d3 in Maths that be 420 right?
    All honours subjects.

It's between this and accounting.
    Love to hear your opinions and advice:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

shinesun wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm repeating and I'm wondering if any of ye rec to take up or took up Honours Maths ?
    I'm thinking if I got a D3 it would be 45 plus the 25 bonus Maths points?
    I can use them for counting up subjects for points ya?
    Say got like 5 C1s and then that d3 in Maths that be 420 right?
    All honours subjects.

It's between this and accounting.
    Love to hear your opinions and advice:)

Yeah, that is how it works. But don't cancel one out because your doing the other. Maths is a great course, maybe not so much now with project maths, and accounting is an easy enough a.

With accounting this year- you can almost perfectly predict next years exam. Published and Incomplete are going to be 100markers. Tabular is going to be 60 and club is likely too. Ratios is 100 cert. Budgeting will be between the mixture budget or the easy straightforward type

If you can, do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

go for it. i thought id fail it at the start of the year and managed a B2, ....im ****e at maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Thanks think will give both a shot:)
    Would be delighted just to pass it but will obv aim higher.
    If I did fail Maths would that mean leaving cert failed?
    I'm not sure if I read that somewhere or if that night have been the case a few years ago. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thanks think will give both a shot:)
    Would be delighted just to pass it but will obv aim higher.
    If I did fail Maths would that mean leaving cert failed?
    I'm not sure if I read that somewhere or if that night have been the case a few years ago. Thanks

No reason why you couldn't take it up and then drop to ordinary if you weren't happy with higher level :)

You don't fail the whole leaving cert if you fail maths, but it restricts you a lot as most (all?) college courses require you to have at least a pass in maths. But since you're repeating, if you passed maths this year you could use that as your entry requirement if you did somehow fail maths next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Thanks. Yep have passed Maths in the leaving cert before.
    Ya I'll see how it goes anyway, prob stupid ques but can you count up the other
    Points say of 6 other subjects if failed Maths and these points of the 6 other subjects will count?

I think with hard work I will pass it but just want to make sure of these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Thanks. Yep have passed Maths in the leaving cert before.
    Ya I'll see how it goes anyway, prob stupid ques but can you count up the other
    Points say of 6 other subjects if failed Maths and these points of the 6 other subjects will count?

I think with hard work I will pass it but just want to make sure of these things.
    Yep :) And then your pass in maths from the previous year will allow you to matriculate. Can't really go wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

IME honours maths took up alot of studying time if you want a good grade, so beware of that. if you just want a pass, then you could probably learn to do half the paper really well and then have an idea of the rest though. gl.

*beware i did this in '06!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Yeah, that is how it works. But don't cancel one out because your doing the other. Maths is a great course, maybe not so much now with project maths, and accounting is an easy enough a.

With accounting this year- you can almost perfectly predict next years exam. Published and Incomplete are going to be 100markers. Tabular is going to be 60 and club is likely too. Ratios is 100 cert. Budgeting will be between the mixture budget or the easy straightforward type

If you can, do both.

Sorry, but I REALLY hope this is true. (Not relying on predictions btw just saying). Accounting is probably more straight forward OP, very repetitive aswell. A friend of mine repeated this year and took up accounting, she got a B1 I think.

Advertisement