Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Registration Numbers.

• 23-08-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭

This may well be the wrong forum (I can't seem to find one that is obviously right.....) but can anyone tell me how it is possible for a tyre company to know exactly what car you have from only the Reg number?

I was doing an online quote for car tyres and was surprised that a private company would have access to this information (not the owner's name) when I assumed this would only be available to the government/state agencies (seemingly very wrongly)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

Loads of websites have this facility - eg put your reg (or any reg) into motortax.ie vehicle status enquiry, or cartell.ie or several others (google)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

mrs vimes wrote: »
    Loads of websites have this facility - eg put your reg (or any reg) into motortax.ie vehicle status enquiry, or cartell.ie or several others (google)

Micksgarage.ie also has this feature, amoung many other websites, as you say.

Not sure where they get the information from to be honest but assume it is legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭chasm

For the UK the DVLA provide the some of the details, so i assume one of the relevant govt departments here provide the same, as cartell state on their site that "Cartell works closely with Government services and other sectors to establish, verify and record the history on a vehicle."

DVLA state:
    "Private vehicle check companies

The DVLA provides information on the registration of vehicles to certain companies for consumer protection and anti-fraud purposes.
    Please be assured that no individual name or address details are provided.

The information may be added to by companies with details from the police, finance and insurance companies. The companies below are able to provide a vehicle checking service for the public and motor trade."
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_10014436

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

amandstu wrote: »
    This may well be the wrong forum (I can't seem to find one that is obviously right.....) but can anyone tell me how it is possible for a tyre company to know exactly what car you have from only the Reg number?

I was doing an online quote for car tyres and was surprised that a private company would have access to this information (not the owner's name) when I assumed this would only be available to the government/state agencies (seemingly very wrongly)

The Irish National Mileage Register is a voluntary private database run by the motor industry. It might have those details
    http://www.inmr.ie/index_.php

or

from the National Vehicle and Driver File
    Access to NVDF Records

Section 60 of the Finance Act (No. 13 of 1993) as amended provides for access to NVDF data by Government Departments, and licensing (motor tax) authorities in Ireland and other member states of the EU, the Revenue Commissioners, An Garda Síochána and such other persons as may be prescribed in regulations (most recently S.I. No. 382 of 2009) by the Minister for Transport. Other recipients obtain NVDF data through their own specific legislative frameworks. There are also arrangements in place to supply non-personal vehicle data under agreement to a number of recipients who provide commercial services around vehicle identity checks to the general public. Recipients of NVDF data include;

E-Flow, who administer toll charges on the M50. Enquiries concerning eFlow, barrier free tolling or toll charges should be made to 1890 501050. Further information can also be got at www.eflow.ie .
    Applus+ who operate the national car testing service. All matters relating to the administration and day-to-day operation of the car testing service including the issuing of test reminders is a matter for Applus+. Enquiries about booking a National Car Test should be made to 1890 412413. Further information can also be got at www.ncts.ie .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lots of websites appears to be able to access basic make and model data from the national vehicle file. I personally have no problem with this as, for example, it allows vendors selling parts to verify that you're buying the correct wiper blades or brake pads so I think its a good facility.

It also allows insurance companies to quickly verify that they have the correct make and model for the car when you ask for a quote. If this stops people under-declaring their car's engine size for the purposes of buying a cheap insurance disc then I'm all for it.

As none of the owner's personal data is revealed, I don't see any legal issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

That information is in the public domain anyway.

It Is written on the outside of your car.

Advertisement