Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

• 23-08-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

- Managers/teams getting ripped to bits for implementing a successful strategy that sees them come away from tough games with a 0-0 draw whereas managers who send a team out to attack and end up losing 3-0 or similar are labelled as ''brave'' and a ''breath of fresh air''.

- People comparing transfer fees for top players with a year to 6 months left on their contracts to fees paid by other clubs for players with far more time left on their deals or who play for clubs that are in a strong position to squeeze as much money as they can from the deal.

- Referees not giving penalties for things that would be a guaranteed free-kick if it happened outside the box.

- Blatant obstruction being ignored when players are shielding the ball out of play for a throw in, goal kick etc.

- Fans leaving before the end of games.

- Music being played over the tannoy after a goal is scored.

- The modern offside rule. Players standing offside in the keepers view not being flagged offside as they are ''not interfering with play'' being a particular pet hate.

Loads more, I'll leave it there for now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The seemingly strategic plan to remove tackling from the game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Criticism and over analysise of goals scored from corners against zonal marking, but none of those scored from man-to-man - of which there are many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Goalkeepers have far too much protection.

IvySlayer wrote: »

I'd say they never have kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Agents who do their best to move a player away from a club just to earn a big payday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Football fans believeing that they are accountants for the club they support.

The phrase/term 'World Class'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

- Refs getting some disgusting abuse from brainless fans.
    My cousin did a refereeing course and he said it completely changed his views of refs. And when there's an offside on the tv and they pause it and the striker is marginally offside and people say 'How did he not spot that?'. Maybe because he can't stop time and the game was moving a lot quicker than that, you tool.

- Justice not being done. Jammy last-minute counter attack goals when one team has been dominating, horrific tackles not getting red cards, divers not being caught out, etc.

- The slowing down of games because of people rolling around with absolutlely no injury whatsoever.

Oh, and how the premier league is glorified. People saying stuff like 'Neymar would never make it in England, it's too strong for him'. Seriously?! He's weak and he rolls around too much, he's lightning quick and has unbelievable skills, why would he not fit in exactly? It's not like there's several Roy Chopper Harris kinda players still around to break him in half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

90% of hand ball penalties should not be given, very rarely do people deliberately handball it, but its something that appears to be lost on not only fans, but refs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Stoke City

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

People who won't support their local team

People who winge about people not supporting their local team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

- Football "agents".

- Too many kit changes. Changes would do every 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

- Justice not being done. Jammy last-minute counter attack goals when one team has been dominating

Thats what makes football so great :)

Had a conversation with an amercian friend (and sport fanactic) once.. According to him footie was boring because after 90 mins it could be 0-0.. Basketball has loads of points scored and therefore was far more exciting.
    I diasgree.

The ability for a single last minute shot to win a game against the run of play is what has so many footie fans sitting on the edge of their seats for the 90+ minutes.. One single moment of brilliance (or ****e defending :p) has allowed minnows to defeat giants...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

- The huge amount of people who will not compute/respect that not everyone finds Barcelona to be the underpants creaming team that the media make them out to be. Believe it or not, not everyone finds their style exciting. And God help your soul should you air that opinion. Hell, you might even be labelled as someone who "doesn't know what they are talking about"

- Alan Pardew. Just his face.

- John Champion's commentary

- Fans that constantly use the excuse - "but he doesn't score enough goals". Not every player on the pitch needs to have 20+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Foul throws not being given in top level games.

Profesional footballers not beating the first man with corners, should be fined.

Diving. And clowns who justify diving by saying "if he doesn't go down, the ref doesn't give it". Fúck off you absolute numpty.

Yellow card for taking your top off in celebration.

Twitter. Players' use of it, and fans' obsession with it.

The soap opera that Sky has made the english game into.

I hate the world cup, it should be disbanded and reconstituted to be a competition of the best 16 teams in the world on a 4 yearly basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

The bull**** that goes on between fans. Liverpool n man utd fans are annoying on boards.
    i know it happens in every country n city with football fans. Like bohs n rovers here in Dublin.

I know people are gonna say, "its the history", but it grinds my gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People who refer to the game as 'footie'.

The "cleaning up of the game" to "get families" into grounds with "comfortable seats".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,371 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

footballers' wages.

disgraceful doesn't come close.

How could I forget:

Ray Wilkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Welease wrote: »
    Thats what makes football so great :)

Had a conversation with an amercian friend (and sport fanactic) once.. According to him footie was boring because after 90 mins it could be 0-0.. Basketball has loads of points scored and therefore was far more exciting.
    I diasgree.

The ability for a single last minute shot to win a game against the run of play is what has so many footie fans sitting on the edge of their seats for the 90+ minutes.. One single moment of brilliance (or ****e defending :p) has allowed minnows to defeat giants...

I'm not saying 90th minute goals are bad, they're great. It's when one team has had absolutely no luck whatsoever, and they've been working their socks off to get a goal but nothing goes their way.

An example would be the Chelsea Barca game a few years ago. When Chelsea got absolutely robbed by that ref. And barca's only shot on target (or their only shot, not sure which) was their goal in the last minute. Chelsea kinda got their own back last season, but I don't think they were as fortunate as Barca were a few years ago...

SlickRic wrote: »
    footballers' wages.

disgraceful doesn't come close.

Ah come on, the amount of money that is in the game from Sky for example, if anything, the players aren't seeing enough of that money that THEY generate.

No telented players = no product to sell.

Where do you think the money should go?

The rich clubs do have academies already, even the smaller clubs have youth structures in place. So you can't say some of the money doesn't go there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

IvySlayer wrote: »

Like Petr Cech and Hunt
    Like Shay Given and Marlon Harewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

People who don't support a team but hate a certain team, usually Man Utd. Grow up.

Des wrote: »
    Ah come on, the amount of money that is in the game from Sky for example, if anything, the players aren't seeing enough of that money that THEY generate.

No telented players = no product to sell.

Where do you think the money should go?

The rich clubs do have academies already, even the smaller clubs have youth structures in place. So you can't say some of the money doesn't go there.

i know.

i've used these exact argument when in conversations about players' wages.

but there's no getting away from the fact that it's a ridiculous amount of money to be paid for playing football. it is at least a little unsettling IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

jamie (top top player) redknapp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

1)

10 yards from the ball from a free kick

Usually the defending team is about 7 yards away when the player eventually hits it, every team steps forward as soon as the ref marks the 10 yards but its a thing that I hate and is simple to stop.

2)

Foul Throws

Jesus Christ on a bike some of them are really blatant and are very, very rarely ever given.

3)

Dave Whelan

'Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »
    i know.

i've used these exact argument when in conversations about players' wages.

but there's no getting away from the fact that it's a ridiculous amount of money to be paid for playing football. it is at least a little unsettling IMO.

In a perfect world - you could see the following.

Player wages reducing, meaning club costs lower, meaning lower ticket prices, meaning more accessible game in general.

A curbing on transfer fees could also see a similar knock on effect.

Money generated through sponsorship and tv deals could be reinvested into charities or local development (HA!). The cost of the TV deals could come down also, meaning cheaper subscription packages too.

The reality is if transfer fees or wages were reduced, it would simply mean more money to the club owners.

What annoys me most in football is when a player, from the team in possession, goes down injured but his team continue to attack - when the attack breaks down they go freaking apoplectic if the opposition don't put the ball out of play. It annoys me even more when the opposition DO put it out of play - they had their chance, they lost the ball no PUNISH them for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Goalkeepers catching so little crosses. Just annoys me as a goalkeeper myself that a large percentage of goalkeepers often punch crosses that could be easily caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

90% of hand ball penalties should not be given, very rarely do people deliberately handball it, but its something that appears to be lost on not only fans, but refs.

I'd go other side of that arguement - players getting defended cause the bal was hit at them from only a few yards away "Nothing they could do!" you hear people cry - reality is that the defending player had his arms out from his body, deliberately blocking the free space around them the attacking player could hit the ball in to. Ball hits their arm when they aren't down by the side, or directly in front, PENALTY.

Yes, there are exceptions, such as players running (arms away from body in a natural position) but when you see defenders blocking space with their arms like a keeper - John Terry LOVES doing this - I don't care how far away they are when the ball was hit, it is a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Shepharding the ball out is not deemed obstruction when it clearly is

The term, unplayable, what a stupid ****ing term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

On diving, Ive come to accept its a part of the game now. Will I celebrate any less if United beat City or Liverpool courtesy of a dive?Or if they win the CL courtesy of one. No way. So Im a bit ofa hypocrite to be giving out about it all the time otherwise. Its here to stay. Hell, its a skill in its own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

On diving, Ive come to accept its a part of the game now. Will I celebrate any less if United beat City or Liverpool courtesy of a dive?Or if they win the CL courtesy of one. No way. So Im a bit ofa hypocrite to be giving out about it all the time otherwise. Its here to stay. Hell, its a skill in its own right.

It's a source of shame for my team to win a game due to blatant cheating, but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

GavRedKing wrote: »
    1)

10 yards from the ball from a free kick

Usually the defending team is about 7 yards away when the player eventually hits it, every team steps forward as soon as the ref marks the 10 yards but its a thing that I hate and is simple to stop.

I think it was MLS (someone will correct if not) that I seen the referee using a spray to draw a white line in front of the players feet before every free kick. Obviously, it wouldn't be paint or anything as it was gone after a few minutes. I don't think I've seen it since but it seemed like a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Players that cant beat the first man when taking corners, you might forgive it once or twice but it constantly happens, Liverpools corner taking is woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Footballers.

What's that, the referee didn't award the throw-in to you when you raised your arm calling for it, when you know it came off your leg?
    Sure shout some obscenities at him then or get right in his face, that's perfectly acceptable.

Feigning injury. Clubs should be made provide ambulances on stand-by for each match. Your player look like he's in excuciate pain, whisk him off to whatever private hospital of your choice.

Yeah I know it might not be all practical to implement but still, there's alot more that can be done to discipline players/managers, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I'm not saying 90th minute goals are bad, they're great. It's when one team has had absolutely no luck whatsoever, and they've been working their socks off to get a goal but nothing goes their way.

An example would be the Chelsea Barca game a few years ago. When Chelsea got absolutely robbed by that ref. And barca's only shot on target (or their only shot, not sure which) was their goal in the last minute. Chelsea kinda got their own back last season, but I don't think they were as fortunate as Barca were a few years ago...

Yeah but thats why it's so exciting.. if the sport meant that it couldn't happen, the last few minutes wouldnt have been so amazing/gutting depending on the colour of your shirt :)

Anyway.. I won't drag this off topic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I think it was MLS (someone will correct if not) that I seen the referee using a spray to draw a white line in front of the players feet before every free kick. Obviously, it wouldn't be paint or anything as it was gone after a few minutes. I don't think I've seen it since but it seemed like a good idea.

That's widely done in South America I believe. I know they do it in Chile anyway.

Hell, its a skill in its own right.

no it's not.

it's cheating.

it's just that officials don't have the balls to do anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

It's a foam spray, I think it was first trialed in Argentina and then spread to other South American leagues (and the MLS) after they saw its success there.

Alan Shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

BKC wrote: »
    That's widely done in South America I believe. I know they do it in Chile anyway.
    It's a foam spray, I think it was first trialed in Argentina and then spread to other South American leagues (and the MLS) after they saw its success there.

Ya I think I've seen it in the Copa Libertadores but its certainly something that should be done in all the professional leagues.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya I think I've seen it in the Copa Libertadores but its certainly something that should be done in all the professional leagues.

+1

Solves one problem straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Fans, in general.

The ones who stand at matches and spend more time watching opposition fans and screaming abuse at them.
    The ones who stand at games and scream disgusting stuff at opposition players but run to the cooperate as soon as a player looks at them.
    The ones who sneer at other countries football despite the fact the closer they've ever came to the city their team plays in was by using 3d glasses.
    The ones who post statistics upon statistics about pass completion of random Easter European player in an attempt to sound informed about the game.
    Those who Jang on every word that ssn tells them too.

All of the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

It grinds my gers when people get all butt sore if youre happy when a rival player gets injured. Anything that weakens them is good IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

kryogen wrote: »
    Alan Shearer

And Alan Hansen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Games being ruined by both a sending off AND a penalty. It should either be 1) a yellow card and a penalty OR 2) a sending off, whichever is applicable. Stupid rule.

• Advertisement
Advertisement