Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Players kissing badges!

There is no loyalty at the top level.
    Players screw the clubs ...but it is very mutual ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Probably said but people that call players traitors and Judas for moving club.

Too right. Unless they are betraying their boyhood club for facetious reasons they are perfectly entitlted.

Torres was going nowhere and was getting dogs abuse at Liverpool (and I am a former Pool fan). I have always wished him all the best at Chelsea, any Liverpool fan blinkered enough to say otherwise is pathetic. His treatment, the response to his move, and a few other reasons are the main factors in me not giving a swinging sh1te about them until they regain some moral integrity.
    Van Persie is too good of a player to spend the next 6 years staying with Wenger being a tight arse- under his current spending there will not be a single league trophy going to Arsenal in the next 6 years.
    Ashley Cole has done nothing different than umpteen other players before and since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fantasy Football.

I don't understand a rival winning and "ah shure it's alright, their striker scored, I've him in my team" - even worse if that team beats the team you support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Des wrote: »
    Fantasy Football.

I don't understand a rival winning and "ah shure it's alright, their striker scored, I've him in my team" - even worse if that team beats the team you support.

Yeah, can't stand a bit of fun. I HATE a bit of fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Assistants taking an age to raise their offside flag.

Fook me pink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Being a sub on a cold and windy winters morning. You stand and freeze your balls off in the hope that the player in your position will get injured so you can go on.

Even worse is being given the flag to do linesman. Wish we had linesmen at our matches.

On that note I also wish we had a ball boy.

Getting to the changing rooms 5 minutes late because of traffic and you have to wear the ****ty shorts. I remember a game last year in which I had to wear a pair of shorts that wwere massive and had no string. I had to put tape around them to hold them up on me. It worked but I got some abuse.

In the professional game I hate the whole booking for a celebration. Makes no sense.

Also 'fans' who direct crazy abuse at a player because he had the temerity to move from their club.

"You can't criticise my club because your club is worse"

Fúck off with that attitude please.

If I see a player diving, I'm going to say it. Just because some other player on some other team not playing that match also dived recently, doesn't mean what your player did was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

A large percentage of Irish football fans who refer to the local team of an English city, that in many cases thay have never visited in their lives, as 'we' and 'us' and actually believeing - and are genuinely convinced! - that they have some deep-seated, intrinsic connection with that club and its history.

This is often supported by the notion that following said club is some kind of tradition handed down through generations of family ('me Da suppported them for years'!) and therefore has an a sense of nobility about it that sets them apart the masses of other fans of English teams in Ireland.

The sight of a load of Man United-jersey-wearing punters in Thomond Park when Manchester City played there this summer was especially cringe.

Also hate seeing tricolours at Ireland games with Chelsea, Man United etc flags stained on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fantasy Football.

I support my fantasy team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Full Kit ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Two commentator favourites do it for me.

1. "He struck that too well" when a player has a shot that was close but didn't go in. Bollox, what you meant to say was he didn't hit that well enough because if he did, it would have been a goal

2. "he knows where the goal is". Of course he does. Everyone in the stadium and watching on telly knows where the goal is. There's one at either end of the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Thr fact that I'm ****e at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Fantasy Football.

What abouf gambling?

"You can't criticise my club because your club is worse"

Fúck off with that attitude please.

If I see a player diving, I'm going to say it. Just because some other player on some other team not playing that match also dived recently, doesn't mean what your player did was wrong.
    As long as you're equally shrill and vociferous when your own player dives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

GavRedKing wrote: »

3)

Dave Whelan

'Nuff said.

I would love to know your reasoning why Dave Whelan grinds your gears?

As long as you're equally shrill and vociferous when your own player dives.

This is bollox.

Football fans are biased twats, it's why we watch football, we want our team to be the best and win, and we want our rivals to crash and burn.

To try to pretend to be fair and unbiased over certain subjects is quite ridiculous.

If a player on the team I support gains an advantage that makes supporters of another spew venom, you're damn right I'm going to rub thier faces in it.

And I'm also going to call their players cheating cúnts when they do the same thing.

This is bollox.

Football fans are biased twats, it's why we watch football, we want our team to be the best and win, and we want our rivals to crash and burn.

To try to pretend to be fair and unbiased over certain subjects is quite ridiculous.

If a player on the team I support gains an advantage that makes supporters of another spew venom, you're damn right I'm going to rub thier faces in it.

And I'm also going to call their players cheating cúnts when they do the same thing.

This should be in the OP to every match thread tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Doocey wrote: »
    Assistants taking an age to raise their offside flag.

Fook me pink.

This... In FIFA 12... Christ above :|

Oh and on that note, how come when you score a goal in FIFA, you can skip the replay, but you have to watch the celebration? Seriously?

I also hate how slow they are to bring in goal-line technology.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

ColHol wrote: »
    When heaps of players surround the ref to intimidate him after he makes a decision (good or bad). Should go the way of rugby in that the only person who can talk to the ref is the team captain

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yes, as already mentioned, not being able to beat the first man with a cross or a corner, really is one of the most frustrating things about a professional footballer.

shocking just how many players are unable to do something so simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

When non-football fans call football players pansys and sissys because they roll around the ground as if shot after they've been barely touched.

Do they not know that they are faking injury to fool the referee into giving them a free kick and booking/sending off the opposing player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tony Pulis' ''look at me'' charade sprinting on and off the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

People, who i suspect are primarily teenage girls who may be on their period, having a little cry about people using 'we' and 'I' when discussing their favoured football teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

Kevin Nolan's goal celebrations.

John Motson adding on of "R"s to players names during commentary, ie DrogbaR, AnelkaR. Really annoying

Sky Sports News anchormen's inability to pronounce the words fifth and sixth. "fith" and "sith" ffs :mad::mad:

Non enforcement of the goalkeeper 6 second guideline and keepers taking the ball out of the box when fly-kicking.

Kevin Pietersen, not football i know but I'd pay good money to burst his nads with a kick.

Shamrock Rovers.

• Advertisement

Forgot Trevor Welch

Alan Kelly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Shamrock Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Lou Macari. LOU EFFING MACARI.

'Shepherding' the ball out of the play over the end line. It's become so engrained in the game now that even if you pushed a player over, got him in a headlock and then kicked him up the hole while 'shepherding' the ball out of play it'd still be a goal kick.

Referee's who give free kicks out from a corner that was controversially given. Absolutely hate this. Must be at least 80% of corners that were arguable, the referee will just give a free kick out as to somehow make up for it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Players stealing 10 yards when taking a throw in

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Lou Macari. LOU EFFING MACARI.

'Shepherding' the ball out of the play over the end line. It's become so engrained in the game now that even if you pushed a player over, got him in a headlock and then kicked him up the hole while 'shepherding' the ball out of play it'd still be a goal kick.

Referee's who give free kicks out from a corner that was controversially given. Absolutely hate this. Must be at least 80% of corners that were arguable, the referee will just give a free kick out as to somehow make up for it.

True. Obstruction, plain and simple. Not 100% sure of the rule but I'd assume an indirect free kick should be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Mark Bright. I'm not sure what bothers me more with him, his personality or his voice.

Time wasting. Not just the obvious or even intended kind, but when it's taking literally a full minute and a half to take a free kick something is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Skippy44 wrote: »
    Kevin Nolan's goal celebrations.

John Motson adding on of "R"s to players names during commentary, ie DrogbaR, AnelkaR. Really annoying

Sky Sports News anchormen's inability to pronounce the words fifth and sixth. "fith" and "sith" ffs :mad::mad:

Non enforcement of the goalkeeper 6 second guideline and keepers taking the ball out of the box when fly-kicking.

Kevin Pietersen, not football i know but I'd pay good money to burst his nads with a kick.

As long as you don't handle the ball outside the box, you can throw it as far as you want over the line before kicking the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I also hate how slow they are to bring in goal-line technology.
    FIFA are run by a bunch of men aged 50+.
    Naturally they are conservative and very slow to change.

There's also the issue of money. And how much goal line technology will cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

John Motson - I keep thinking he's retired and then he shows up again with that awful voice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

alproctor wrote: »
    As long as you don't handle the ball outside the box, you can throw it as far as you want over the line before kicking the ball.

I got done for this last season, I decided not to argue with the ref as I would've only ended up getting sent off for abusing him. Refs that don't know the laws of the game drive me demented. Another time I was playing up forward, I'd injured myself and was strolling back to the half way line, their defender goes to give a pass back to the keeper not realising I'm there but get blown up for offside.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Colin F***ing Murray.

I want to cry when I realise that I've missed MOTD1 or a major game on Sunday, meaning that my weekend is closed out by his dopey, gormless face, his inane observations, his offensive prejudices and profound awkwardness. Seriously, it's like having a real life Milhouse Van Houten yapping at you about football for an hour and a half.

He's just as bad on the radio for me. Three highlights:
    - Making light of Pep Guardiola's stress when he left Barca ("you're coaching the best club team in the world! How can you be stressed?" Er, you answered your own question you muppet)
    - Winding up Lee Dixon about not being invited to the 'legends' parade for Arsenal's anniversary (in the end, Dixon deservedly was on the pitch)
    - Implying that Pat Nevin's wife was having it off with the milkman. He said this because, shock horror, a football pundit remarked that he goes to football matches. I couldn't believe my ears. Neither could the panel - there was a shocked silence in the studio, then they carried on as if he wasn't there. Did the 'bauld Colin take a hint? Did he f***. "Sorry mate - Does that kind of thing still happen actually?" he chimes in 30 seconds later.

Awful, irritating man. I don't think he even likes football

Honorable mentions also to Fat Dolan, Steve Claridge (how can a man can work in an industry for over 20 years and have such little understanding of it?), and that odious toad Ian McGarry. And the way, whenever Mark Chapman is presenting on BBC, all the panelists call him 'Chappers' like some middle aged versions of the Bash Street Kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

geeky wrote: »
    Colin F***ing Murray.

I want to cry when I realise that I've missed MOTD1 or a major game on Sunday, meaning that my weekend is closed out by his dopey, gormless face, his inane observations, his offensive prejudices and profound awkwardness. Seriously, it's like having a real life Milhouse Van Houten yapping at you about football for an hour and a half.

He's just as bad on the radio for me. Three highlights:
    - Making light of Pep Guardiola's stress when he left Barca ("you're coaching the best club team in the world! How can you be stressed?" Er, you answered your own question you muppet)
    - Winding up Lee Dixon about not being invited to the 'legends' parade for Arsenal's anniversary (in the end, Dixon deservedly was on the pitch)
    - Implying that Pat Nevin's wife was having it off with the milkman. He said this because, shock horror, a football pundit remarked that he goes to football matches. I couldn't believe my ears. Neither could the panel - there was a shocked silence in the studio, then they carried on as if he wasn't there. Did the 'bauld Colin take a hint? Did he f***. "Sorry mate - Does that kind of thing still happen actually?" he chimes in 30 seconds later.

Awful, irritating man. I don't think he even likes football

Honorable mentions also to Fat Dolan, Steve Claridge (how can a man can work in an industry for over 20 years and have such little understanding of it?), and that odious toad Ian McGarry. And the way, whenever Mark Chapman is presenting on BBC, all the panelists call him 'Chappers' like some middle aged versions of the Bash Street Kids.

He's a Liverpool supporter, I sat infront of him in Anfield once, LFC v Spurs.
    The whole match he was goung on about how he hated that 'wee bas*ard Robbie Keane', must have said it about 20 times. Done my head in. (Keane was with Spurs, the first time around, would have understood if it was aftehe left Liverpool:))

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Players who cannot beat the first man be it in a wall in front of them or not when taking a set piece, namely a corner or a free kick from out wide within around 30 yards of the goal. Players who are consistently messing up should be fined :) Real pet hate of mine is an understatement. Charlie Adam would have been fairly screwed last season if this was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Biased Pundits commentating on rival's matches. Im talking Lou Macari, Pat Crerand, Lawro, Mark Wright, Niall Quinn etc. Leave your former club affiliation at the door please!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

AGC wrote: »
    People who won't support their local team
    Hen you say support your local team, does that mean the closest professional team or closest team?
    The closest to me is park Celtic should I go to them games or be snobby about the quality and follow bohs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

The Mulk wrote: »
    He's a Liverpool supporter, I sat infront of him in Anfield once, LFC v Spurs.
    The whole match he was goung on about how he hated that 'wee bas*ard Robbie Keane', must have said it about 20 times. Done my head in. (Keane was with Spurs, the first time around, would have understood if it was aftehe left Liverpool:))

I'm shocked he actually went to a live football match quite honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

geeky wrote: »
    I'm shocked he actually went to a live football match quite honestly.

Just read on Wiki he has 5 stars tattooed on his arm, supposedly he's a big fan.
    He just seems to be Northern Ireland's answer to Craig Doyle, only good a certain thing, in his case being a DJ not a tv presenter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hen you say support your local team, does that mean the closest professional team or closest team?
    The closest to me is park Celtic should I go to them games or be snobby about the quality and follow bohs?
    I would suggest do both, and push the both further and Ireland. All your local teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Mark Lawrenson's hair.

You're losing it, Lawro. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mark Lawrenson's hair.

You're losing it, Lawro. Get over it.

Just Lawro in general. Offers no insight and has a very annoying and squeaky voice.

I hadn't seen him in ages but caught a glimpse of him a few weeks ago and I was shocked at how much he has let himself go. He looks a wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Another thing on the bold Lawro.

I find it incomprehensible that the Beeb pay thousands per programme for a guy just to spout vague guff like, 'He'll be disappointed with that'. No major tactical insights, nothing revelatory - and all from a guy with mid-life crisis hair who gives the impression that being a football pundit is one long chore.

There's a simple solution - get him to fcuk.

Ditto Alan Shearer who admitted on MOTD that he didn't know anything about Hatem Ben Arfa when he signed for Newcastle. A bit of basic research online before going on to live tv would help show licence payers a bit of respect.

No wonder he flopped as a manager.

The bland, cowering coverage on MOTD is a joke compared to the frank and fearless opinions on RTE by the likes of Giles and Dunphy. Night and day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When thousands of people clap as defender makes basic header back to keeper.

When thousands again clap forward pass to wing. This is basic stuff.

Football fans who leave to go for Burger/pie 10 minutes before half time.

People who say they support their local club, but they actually dont realise they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Football fans, mainly English/British to be honest, who cheer a corner like its a goal.

Alan Hansen, for being himself. He just thinks he was a genius and none of the defenders around now could lace his boots, despite the fact that he probably spent most of his great defending by the backpass. Did the guy ever make a mistake, cos thats what EVERY single footballer who ever played the game has done.

Old footage of the likes of Stanley Matthews, when people rave about how good he was, but they only have 3 clips of him running past some guy, and show it over and over and over to make it look like he was SO GOOD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The expression "he's not an international quality player".

He is if there is nobody else better in his position.

Advertisement