Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

When thousands of people clap as defender makes basic header back to keeper.

When thousands again clap forward pass to wing. This is basic stuff.

Football fans who leave to go for Burger/pie 10 minutes before half time.

People who say they support their local club, but they actually dont realise they are not.
    I agree with people leaving before half time. Not for the whole "you should stay and support your team" condescending nonsense, thats their business but I hate having to stand up to let an army out while watching the game and then having to stand up again.

Once it happened as I was letting this 'planet' out during a game he was called by his wife in which he stopped and took an order from her whilst blocking the game for me and the people behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

NIMAN wrote: »

Old footage of the likes of Stanley Matthews, when people rave about how good he was, but they only have 3 clips of him running past some guy, and show it over and over and over to make it look like he was SO GOOD.

Can you imagine being that guy he ran past?

Years later:
    'Dad/Grandad, you're on the telly!'
    'Oh, are they showing when we won promotion to the first division?'
    'Nah, just you getting skinned by Matthews again.'
    'Ah to f***!'

Seconded on many of the pundits who think it's a chore rather than a privilege to yap about football for money. If you don't like doing it Lawro, find something else to do with your life. You're being shown up by the Gary Nevilles of this world anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh one at Ireland games is when when some want to sing YNWA.

Sure why not sing GSTQ while your at it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Ardent wrote: »
    Games being ruined by both a sending off AND a penalty. It should either be 1) a yellow card and a penalty OR 2) a sending off, whichever is applicable. Stupid rule.

It is not a stupid rule. If there wasn't a sending off for handling the ball on the goal line then it would be happening regularly. likewise with players being brought down by the last man.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Criticism and over analysise of goals scored from corners against zonal marking, but none of those scored from man-to-man - of which there are many more.

that's because most teams use man-to-man marking

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

pbowenroe wrote: »
    Criticism and over analysise of goals scored from corners against zonal marking, but none of those scored from man-to-man - of which there are many more.

that's because most teams use man-to-man marking

Incorrect
    Most teams use a mixture of both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Incorrect

Actually, they don't. Unless you stupidly include a man on the post as "zonal".....which it isn't.

Poll all the teams in the english football league from league 2 to the premiership. I would wager the vast majority go man to man. It may be a cliche, but zonal marking is very much a "foreign" coaching style. Most of the coaches who champion it are either not British, or have studied football abroad.

Personally, I subscribe to the old italian way of defending set pieces. If I have him in a headlock, how can he score? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

The lack of respect for the referee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Esse85 wrote: »
    The lack of respect for the referee.

They will get that when they earn it but for me the current crop of PL refs are the worse I have ever witnessed, and trust me I am watching over 25yrs.

Is it the refs or new policies/rules that's the problem ?? .. Probably both.

Leiva wrote: »
    They will get that when they earn it but for me the current crop of PL refs are the worse I have ever witnessed, and trust me I am watching over 25yrs.

Reffing is hard. I find people who take the sort of stance you talk about are people who have never actually done it themselves. The current ref's we have in the EPL are mostly just as good as the ones we had 20 years ago.

The "problem" as you put it, is that they are very isloated and watched and scrutinized by millions of people who have access to a better view live, dozens of replays and hindsight. In every other sport as big as football, they have technology to help them. Until that happens in football, there will always be mistakes.

I also think fans over react their own teams perceived slights. What a nuetral might see as a "soft peno", the biased fan see's as "the worst decision in years" etc. People get carried away.

And when esse85 talks about respect, I'm sure he is alluding to the torrid of abuse ref's recieve off of players and fans. And then we have fans wishing cancer on people. And you think somebody should have to perform well to avoid that? You shouldn't have to "earn" respect to avoid that.....it's a given.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Reffing is hard. I find people who take the sort of stance you talk about are people who have never actually done it themselves. The current ref's we have in the EPL are mostly just as good as the ones we had 20 years ago.

The "problem" as you put it, is that they are very isloated and watched and scrutinized by millions of people who have access to a better view live, dozens of replays and hindsight. In every other sport as big as football, they have technology to help them. Until that happens in football, there will always be mistakes.

I also think fans over react their own teams perceived slights. What a nuetral might see as a "soft peno", the biased fan see's as "the worst decision in years" etc. People get carried away.

Oh trust me I have factored in all your valid points (and more) but I still believe that what I have witnessed over the past couple of seasons has been absolutely abmismal from refs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Oh trust me I have factored in all your valid points (and more) but I still believe that what I have witnessed over the past couple of seasons has been absolutely abmismal from refs.

Do you think referees favour certain clubs?

Des wrote: »
    Do you think referees favour certain clubs?

Nope.

Bad across the board.

Kirby wrote: »
    Incorrect

Actually, they don't. Unless you stupidly include a man on the post as "zonal".....which it isn't.

Poll all the teams in the english football league from league 2 to the premiership. I would wager the vast majority go man to man. It may be a cliche, but zonal marking is very much a "foreign" coaching style. Most of the coaches who champion it are either not British, or have studied football abroad.

Personally, I subscribe to the old italian way of defending set pieces. If I have him in a headlock, how can he score? :p

Actually...they do!
    And if you can't see it then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭cwboy

Free kicks for the slightest touch.

Some fans who look at the fee for a player with out taking in to account the wages and signing on fees and blame owners for not signing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The lack of consistency with the referee's is the big problem imo. A lot of the times they will give a free kick for a tackle, then not give a penalty for something very similar. It shouldnt matter whereabouts on the pitch it is, it's either a foul or not. If you'd give a free kick for it, then you should give a penalty for the same thing and vice versa. Corners are a good example. It's not unusual to see the defending team get a free kick for something that wouldnt be a free kick anywhere else on the pitch. Pick one or the other, dont swap between several times throughout a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watching a game from Old Trafford & seeing hundreds of 'fans' spending the entire 90 mins taking pictures.Spend the time making noise you fuckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

zerks wrote: »
    Watching a game from Old Trafford & seeing hundreds of 'fans' spending the entire 90 mins taking pictures.Spend the time making noise you fuckers.

Tourists take photos. That's what they do. Old Trafford always has a few thousand tourists. Many of them Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

cwboy wrote: »

Disagree with this simply because sometimes a 'slight' touch is all it takes.

If you have someone running full pelt down the wing and he gets a slight touch on his ankle. The momentum takes him down more then anything.

Yes I know some people do go down with a slight touch anyway, but that is one reason why it's not the players fault ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Teams who don't even try to play for a win.

I'd change the system to the following

Win 2 points
    Draw -1 point each
    Lose -2 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

mike65 wrote: »

Win 2 points
    Draw -1 point each
    Lose -2 points.

Not a bad idea though wouldn't you still have teams that would rather lose 1 point than 2?

I think the 3 point gap between a win and a draw and that you actually go backwards to boot would change the psychology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

This is what should be done imo.

1. Referee enters both dressing rooms before the match. Says what he will allow and won't allow, i.e if you go in to a tackle with both feet off the ground or with studs showing he will show a red card.

That if you don't go back 10 yards at free kicks you will get a yellow

That any back chat to the ref is a yellow.

Only one person is allowed speak to the referee at a time and that he'll explain to him why he gave a free kick.

That he won't get every call right but he'll be as consistent as possible.

Win 2 points
    Draw -1 point each
    Lose -2 points.

That's just the same in practice as 4-1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sepp Blater

Qatar hosting the 2022 world cup annoys me :mad:

That's just the same in practice as 4-1-0.

No its not, a draw means you still get a point in a 4-1-0 system, I want to actively punish draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I hate people who take photos at football games. I'm kinda willing to accept it if it's a child, but a grown up, seriously cop on and enjoy the bloody experience. There's 50 of the best professional sports photographers at the games, with cameras that cost more than your house, who will capture it better than you ever will.

Ref's being biased towards big teams. I've always thought it's bull****. I think refs are biased towards home teams. I also think refs appear "biased" towards attacking teams, because they ask more questions of the ref in the box. If you're tackled 10 times in the box, vs. once in the box, there's more chance of a ref giving a penalty to the attacking team. I actually think, by in large, especially away from home, refs favour the worse team.

The incredible focus on ref decisions by the media. I think that they have just made it an easy thing for them to complain about to generate stories, and have stopped actually talking about football. Andy Grey was the worst for it, I'm glad he's gone now.

Diving should have been fixed now. Retrospective video analysis of every game. Any definite 100% dives recieve an instant 5 match ban, and a fine equivilent to 2 weeks wages. It would be removed from the game within 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

No its not, a draw means you still get a point in a 4-1-0 system, I want to actively punish draws.

But the teams the Stokes of this world draw with would suffer the same fate as them?

PHB wrote: »
    I hate people who take photos at football games. I'm kinda willing to accept it if it's a child, but a grown up, seriously cop on and enjoy the bloody experience. There's 50 of the best professional sports photographers at the games, with cameras that cost more than your house, who will capture it better than you ever will.

Ref's being biased towards big teams. I've always thought it's bull****. I think refs are biased towards home teams. I also think refs appear "biased" towards attacking teams, because they ask more questions of the ref in the box. If you're tackled 10 times in the box, vs. once in the box, there's more chance of a ref giving a penalty to the attacking team. I actually think, by in large, especially away from home, refs favour the worse team.

The incredible focus on ref decisions by the media. I think that they have just made it an easy thing for them to complain about to generate stories, and have stopped actually talking about football. Andy Grey was the worst for it, I'm glad he's gone now.

Diving should have been fixed now. Retrospective video analysis of every game. Any definite 100% dives recieve an instant 5 match ban, and a fine equivilent to 2 weeks wages. It would be removed from the game within 2 months.

Good post agree with every word

• Advertisement

The number of points would be different but the order of teams and difference in points would be the same.

cwboy wrote: »

Disagree with this simply because sometimes a 'slight' touch is all it takes.

If you have someone running full pelt down the wing and he gets a slight touch on his ankle. The momentum takes him down more then anything.

Yes I know some people do go down with a slight touch anyway, but that is one reason why it's not the players fault ^

im talking about when two players are tussling for a ball and the merest hint of physicality and its a free one way or the other. let players fight for a ball. kicking or tripping is a free but soccer is a contact sport

Defending is an art and we shouldn't be punishing a side from seeing out a game with 10 minutes to go at 2-2. Losing points for a draw is a ridiculous idea. A team that scores twice and still draws deserves as much, if not more, than a team who scabs a 1-0 win in injury time.

A more common sense approach, and one I have pushed for regarding the world cup and the euro's in the group stage....is that it stays 3 points for a win and 1 point for a score draw........but a 0-0 nets you no points.

It would encourage teams not to park the bus as it is ultimately not worth anything but would still value defending as an important part of the game.

PHB wrote: »

Totally agree about diving. See no reason video evidence can't be used. agree that punishments must be severe for obvious dives. would rid it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

The notion that football has to be played 'the beautiful way'

Yes, it's easier on the eye, and I 100% prefer teams who knock it around, play counter attacking football, and attack the opposition, but the way teams, ala Stoke, play... as annoying as it is, it is still football

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    The notion that football has to be played 'the beautiful way'

Yes, it's easier on the eye, and I 100% prefer teams who knock it around, play counter attacking football, and attack the opposition, but the way teams, ala Stoke, play... as annoying as it is, it is still football

Correct.

And it's usually spoiled arseholes, and Hipster Barca fans who try to say that "the proper way" is somehow better than a team that defends more than it attacks.

Fúck off morons. People who don't really enjoy football at all, and just want to be "entertained" by attacking football.

Franco Baresi was one of the most entertaining players who ever set foot on a football field, and he was a defender. Paul McGrath, Paolo Maldini, Franz Beceknbauer to an extent. Supreme football players, all very well versed in the art of defending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

People who bemoan different styles of play and teams who play for the draw. I'm sure you'd love your favourite team to steamroll the opposition every game but the other team has other ideas.

Also referee bashing. We all have 100% records thanks to 10 super slowmos from different angles of a tackle. Try it in real time while running down a pitch with thousands screaming at you. Have video assistance to judge if a ball was over the line or a foul was in or out of the penalty box otherwise just accept that it's an incredibly difficult job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The phrase "early doors".

People who use pointless plurals, eg. your Man Utds and Chelseas of this world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lack of contact is a bug bear of mine. At the weekend our ref said he'll let as much of the physicality go as possible and he did, it was a great game as it flowed. Normally you'd be stopping every 2 mins for something and the magic sponge only appeared once!

Lack of contact is a bug bear of mine. At the weekend our ref said he'll let as much of the physicality go as possible and he did, it was a great game as it flowed. Normally you'd be stopping every 2 mins for something and the magic sponge only appeared once!

How magical is that sponge anyway? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

How magical is that sponge anyway? ;)

Pretty magical!
    At the weekend 2 guys went in for a tackle, 50/50 ball other guy comes off worse, rolling around on the ground, manager on with water and magic sponge and he's up sprinting a minute later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Lawro has probably been mentioned a few times at this stage but the one thing he does that really gets me is the way he can't pronounce the word 'But' it comes out more like 'Buuurrt'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Meaningless matches. Have a minimum points target for avoiding relegation and if eight teams fail to reach it they all go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

The way that fans' response to racism has become tied in with what team they support.

Meaningless matches. Have a minimum points target for avoiding relegation and if eight teams fail to reach it they all go down.

The if all teams reach it with few games to go you have more meaningless matches then you had before.

The if all teams reach it with few games to go you have more meaningless matches then you had before.

I'm not sure if that's mathematically possible. I'd put it pretty high, around 50 points.

I'm not sure if that's mathematically possible. I'd put it pretty high, around 50 points.

So lets say 8 teams went down. Do 8 teams come up or would they need to meet target of lets say 70 points?(7 teams met that last season in Championship)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The entire bottom half of the table would have went down last season in that case :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The entire bottom half of the table would have went down last season in that case :pac:

Good, get rid of them all, they're all shíte anyway. Just keep the top 4 to play each other all the time.

Great!

So lets say 8 teams went down. Do 8 teams come up or would they need to meet target of lets say 70 points?(7 teams met that last season in Championship)

I'm a fan of the inter-division play-offs myself, but 8 up to replace 8 down would be fine as well. You might say the gulf between the top (how many is it now, 5,6 or 4 still?) and the rest would grow but they're effectively in a different league as it is anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Des wrote: »
    Correct.

And it's usually spoiled arseholes, and Hipster Barca fans who try to say that "the proper way" is somehow better than a team that defends more than it attacks.

Fúck off morons. People who don't really enjoy football at all, and just want to be "entertained" by attacking football.

Franco Baresi was one of the most entertaining players who ever set foot on a football field, and he was a defender. Paul McGrath, Paolo Maldini, Franz Beceknbauer to an extent. Supreme football players, all very well versed in the art of defending.

The 'proper way' can be mind numbingly defensive and boring. Doesn't have to be entertaining. Watch Pats pass it between their two centre halves and defensive midfielder for 20 minutes and try to stay awake. Defending with the ball is an art of defending in and of itself.

Teams who can't do that [and most teams can't], don't. You can have all sorts of arts and 'playing to your strengths' you like, but the proper, difficult and most skilled way is to have and use the ball.

• Advertisement
Advertisement