Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

People who go to matches for agenda.

When at Tolka few seasons ago in Riverside end all couple of Cork fans were doing was abusing the Linesman everytime he gave offside decision against us.

Support the team ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Phrases llke grind my gears, that is what 'grinds my gears'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Meaningless matches. Have a minimum points target for avoiding relegation and if eight teams fail to reach it they all go down.

If it's not possible to reach the target with x games to go you'd have meaningless matches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The notion that diving is worse than seriously injuring a player.

Fans not standing and singing throughout the games. United and Arsenal fans must hate the lack of atmosphere in their home grounds.

People not appreciating the immense craic to be had supporting a local team, and dismissing it out of hand.

The debate surrounding Messi and Ronaldo. I really don't care who you think is a better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The fact that you're expected to stand and sing at games.

If a person is standing in front of me then I can't see. Sit the **** down. I paid for my ticket to watch the game.

I also like to give the game my undivided attention. My concentration face usually doesn't involve two hands in the air whilst chanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The phrase "early doors".

People who use pointless plurals, eg. your Man Utds and Chelseas of this world.

just watch paul merson on soccer saturday for this nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

The phrase 'playing the percentages'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Players who, when trying to cross the ball into the box and have maybe 100 cubic metres of space in which to aim their cross to, manage to hit a man 6ft high x 2ft wide EVERY time.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The fact that you're expected to stand and sing at games.

If a person is standing in front of me then I can't see. Sit the **** down. I paid for my ticket to watch the game.

I also like to give the game my undivided attention. My concentration face usually doesn't involve two hands in the air whilst chanting.

Its you and your like that ensure the Theater of Dreams is more like a funeral parlour every second weekend. Well done you.

Proper fans get behind their team and give them backing, encouragment and sing witty songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ares wrote: »
    Its you and your like that ensure the Theater of Dreams is more like a funeral parlour every second weekend. Well done you.

Proper fans get behind their team and give them backing, encouragment and sing witty songs.

Get down off your high horse there like a good lad.

Each to their own. I personally don't like having to look at the back of someone's jacket for 90 minutes. Chant away all you like and I don't mind if the person beside me is singing for the full 90 or doesn't sing at all, that's their choice. Usually my shouting is either encouragement or expletives depending on the situation but chanting probably won't be one of them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Prick! wrote: »
    If it's not possible to reach the target with x games to go you'd have meaningless matches too.

Damn...

Losers don't get paid then? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

- 'Experts' on TV who have only heard of Premiership players, and are surprised at the quality of new signings, even if they are already big names.

- TV commentators who see a stat on screen and then come up with 'analysis' of it. "Team X has 55% of possession in the last 5 minutes, they are clearly dominating the game".

- Last 15 minutes of any game on TV: "We all know there are plenty of late goals in this league" or "As we all know, a lot of goals are scored late on in a game".

- International breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Bigger clubs tapping players up. Barca are unreal for it but UEFA/FIFA seem to turn a blind eye to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

90% of hand ball penalties should not be given, very rarely do people deliberately handball it, but its something that appears to be lost on not only fans, but refs.

Sad to say but it doesn't really matter if its deliberate or not if it stops the striker or whoever from shooting,crossing, passing or getting by the defender its a handball regardless of if he meant it or not....not saying i agree but that's how it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always thought the rules for a hand ball penalty was that it had to be deliberate?

You see pens given now for shots blasted 5ft from a player and it hits him on the arm even though he has turned his head from the shot.

Did the rule change? If it was going toward the net is it a pen in this case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sad to say but it doesn't really matter if its deliberate or not if it stops the striker or whoever from shooting,crossing, passing or getting by the defender its a handball regardless of if he meant it or not....not saying i agree but that's how it is

but the rule is DELIBERATE handball is the offence. The ball simply hitting an arm or hand is not or should not be considered an offence.

In saying that, the hand doesn't have to move deliberately to the ball - if the hand/arm is position to block space then they are deliberately using their arms if the ball hits them. You see defenders do this all the time when trying to stop a striker shooting - arms outstretched, then moaning that they had no time to react if a penalty is called on them.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I always thought the rules for a hand ball penalty was that it had to be deliberate?

You see pens given now for shots blasted 5ft from a player and it hits him on the arm even though he has turned his head from the shot.

Did the rule change? If it was going toward the net is it a pen in this case?
    Based on the rule, it would depend on the position of the hands. If they are in a natural position then it really should be a penalty, but if they are in a defensive position, the ol' starfish defending, then the use of the hands/arm to block space is deliberate - so it should be deliberate handball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Regarding the handball rule, it's probably not widely known that the law regarding handball was amended recently. Basically what they done was remove the word 'blatant' from the wording.

handball.jpg

handball_1.jpg

I know it's not strictly on topic here, but thought some people might be interested to know.

alproctor wrote: »
    Regarding the handball rule, it's probably not widely known that the law regarding handball was amended recently. Basically what they done was remove the word 'blatant' from the wording.

handball.jpg

I know it's not strictly on topic here, but thought some people might be interested to know.

thats kinda funny. So, before, if it was deliberate but SNEAKY it was ok! Makes more sense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

When commentators, or just people in general complain about the referee not booking an attacker, just because the attacker went down in the box, and no penalty was given.

The rule is the ref has to be 100% sure before giving a penalty, so what if he's 80% sure it's a penalty - how the hell can he then turn around a book the attacker for diving after not giving a pen? Also, often the attacker falls over due to their momentum or a clean tackle.

How these people can say ''well if he's not given the penalty, why didn't he book him for diving?'' is actually beyond me. IT ISN'T THAT CUT AND DRY YOU IDIOT.

• Advertisement

alproctor wrote: »

handball.jpg

handball_1.jpg

Doesn't this mean that every single handball offense should be punished with a caution? Strange that this isn't the case.

Blatter wrote: »
    Doesn't this mean that every single handball offense should be punished with a caution? Strange that this isn't the case.

the word 'deliberate' is still there, so it still must be a deliberate handball. The ball striking the hand/arm accidently should not be considered an offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I reckon that the trouble is that it's all down to interpretation of each individual referee - you could make a decision about a particular incident that I could interpret entirely differently.

Just as an aside, they've also changed the law surrounding the restarting of a game with a drop ball, you can't score directly from a drop-ball - it's now essentially being treated as an indirect freekick.

the word 'deliberate' is still there, so it still must be a deliberate handball. The ball striking the hand/arm accidently should not be considered an offence.

Yes, the ref can only give a handball if he feels it's deliberate. But the law above clearly states that all deliberate handballs require a caution - so why isn't this the case? We see handballs given all the time, but the offending player doesn't always get booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Yes, the ref can only give a handball if he feels it's deliberate. But the law above clearly states that all deliberate handballs require a caution - so why isn't this the case? We see handballs given all the time, but the offending player doesn't always get booked.

A "caution" is a yellow card yeah? Hard to work out what they mean by certain words sometimes. Presumably if you intentionally handle the ball you get a caution. If you handle the ball unintentionally but it helps you gain or prevent possession then it's a foul but no caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pretty magical!
    At the weekend 2 guys went in for a tackle, 50/50 ball other guy comes off worse, rolling around on the ground, manager on with water and magic sponge and he's up sprinting a minute later

Nothing to do with the fact that the pain from an impact injury, especially on the bone, can be very bad at first but fade after a minute...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

fullstop wrote: »
    Pretty magical!
    At the weekend 2 guys went in for a tackle, 50/50 ball other guy comes off worse, rolling around on the ground, manager on with water and magic sponge and he's up sprinting a minute later

Nothing to do with the fact that the pain from an impact injury, especially on the bone, can be very bad at first but fade after a minute...

When I was younger our coach would run on and pour freezing cold water down your neck - no matter where your knock was.
    We soon learnt to get up quickly before he arrived :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Henlars67 wrote: »
    It is not a stupid rule. If there wasn't a sending off for handling the ball on the goal line then it would be happening regularly. likewise with players being brought down by the last man.

In both situations, yellow card and penalty is more than enough. What's so hard to understand here?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I hate when people shout "AWAY!!" as soon as every single corner is taken. Wrecks me head! Like do you think by shouting it, it'll magically make the defender clear it better? Or is it to remind the professional football player that his job as a defender is to clear the ball??

Its like "GET IN THE HOLE!!" in golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I hate when people shout "AWAY!!" as soon as every single corner is taken. Wrecks me head! Like do you think by shouting it, it'll magically make the defender clear it better? Or is it to remind the professional football player that his job as a defender is to clear the ball??

Its like "GET IN THE HOLE!!" in golf.

People say all sorts of everything at matches. It's part of the buzz. Otherwise it'd just be sitting there in silence. It's good that they're into it if you ask me. Sure it's the same in pubs and sitting rooms across the world, I doubt you're fully silent yourself watching a game?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The obstruction rule is a joke.
    Any kind of obstruction on the pitch is a free, but I can shield the ball with my body for 10 seconds once I'm near the line without it being obstruction??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Trapattoni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Knee jerk reaction from fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Is this it??
    Blaming Trappatoni for everything when it is obvious that our players are not up to the top international standard (Spain, Italy, Germany) by a long way.

This is reflected by the clubs they play for.
    Last night we were smaller physically, slower and not as good technically as the Germans.

Also, every shot they took came off (right into the corner) - this average of success from the edge of the box is unusual and made the score worse than it could have been.

The spine of our team - the guys we relied on for the last 8 or so years (Given, Dunne, Duff, Keane) all got old together. This was shown to be the case in the euros. Their replacements are not of the same standard. Nobody would argue this point.

This is where we are at the moment. We are Wales or Northern Ireland until we develop players who can keep the ball.

Mourinho couldn't have made a decent team with the players available last night.
    IMO ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

How magical is that sponge anyway? ;)

It soaks up germs.

Couldn't resist..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

The phrase "Saved by the post". How is any team ever saved by the post? Do they move?

Lack of a sin bin.

No more draws. All games go to penalties in the event of a draw! This will never happen, but I think it would be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

People who call it soccer. Does my nut in

People who call it soccer. Does my nut in

It is soccer though.

People who call it footy do my nut in.

It is soccer though.

People who call it footy do my nut in.

Nope, its football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

thecatspjs wrote: »
    The phrase "Saved by the post". How is any team ever saved by the post? Do they move?

Lack of a sin bin.

No more draws. All games go to penalties in the event of a draw! This will never happen, but I think it would be fun.

Draws are absolutely stupid. The point of sport is about winners and losers.

Sometimes teams are so evenly matched a draw is a fair outcome. It would be daft to make them play an extra 30 mins or even a shootout to determine a 'winner'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ridiculous suggestion. A league isn't about winning or losing every game. There always ends up winners and losers anyway.

Nope, its football.

Actually, if you're using football you have to call it association football.

Rugby is also football you know. ;)

Actually, if you're using football you have to call it association football.

Rugby is also football you know. ;)

Nope. Its football

Nope. Its football

Soccer is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sometimes teams are so evenly matched a draw is a fair outcome. It would be daft to make them play an extra 30 mins or even a shootout to determine a 'winner'

A shoot out would be sufficient. I don't pay a subscription or admittance fee to see teams draw.

A shoot out would be sufficient. I don't pay a subscription or admittance fee to see teams draw.

Watch another sport then. Ridiculous thing to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

People using 4-3-3 to describe a 4-5-1 formation. If it doesnt have three strikers, its not a 4-3-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

People using 4-3-3 to describe a 4-5-1 formation. If it doesnt have three strikers, its not a 4-3-3.

Whats the correct notation for wingers that arent expected to track back? :pac:

Is Theo Walcott a winger or a striker in your eyes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dempsey wrote: »
    Whats the correct notation for wingers that arent expected to track back? :pac:

Is Theo Walcott a winger or a striker in your eyes?

Neither, he's Lewis Hamilton moonlighting as a forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement