Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

It's 'football'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Danye

A shoot out would be sufficient. I don't pay a subscription or admittance fee to see teams draw.

So would you be happy with seeing your team, the team you pay a subscription or admittance fee to see, loose every game? Once you get to see who is the winner and loser on any given day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Soccer.
    Ok to call it football in England where there's no other national sport. Like in America there's American football or Australia, Aussie Rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Prick! wrote: »
    Soccer.
    Ok to call it football in England where there's no other national sport. Like in America there's American football or Australia, Aussie Rules

Stupid logic.

Those games mentioned all have the ball predominantly in the hands. Same applies to Gaelic. You don't go changing the name of the game on the basis of what you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

soccer and football are interchangeable.

soccer and football are interchangeable.

'gaelic soccer' then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Another thing is when people use a particular set of results in isolation to prove a team is better or worse than another team.

For example, I've seen people suggest that we're worse than the Faroes because they only lost 3-0 in Germany and we lost 6-1 at home to Germany.

Stupid logic.

Those games mentioned all have the ball predominantly in the hands. Same applies to Gaelic. You don't go changing the name of the game on the basis of what you posted.

Google football. football is short for association football, i.e soccer.

Rugby is football too you know, it's not called football though.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Tarring all fans from a club with the same brush because of the actions of a few idiots. Happens all the time when you hear 'fans' of a club sing an offence song aimed at another club and suddenly all fans of that club and the club themselves are condemned.

English punditry in general. Last season Alan Shearer honestly said on MOTD he didn't know an awful lot about Ben Arfa. If I was getting paid £40,000 a week to give my views on the Premier League I would certainly go and learn about one of the league's emerging talents. What is particularly pathetic about this is the fact that Ben Arfa plays for Newcastle, Shearer's club!

One other example that particularly infuriated me was after the City-Dortmund game the other week Adrian Childs said something along the lines of "We all hope Man City go through the group anyway". No we don't. I would personally like to see Dortmund and Real Madrid get through as I'm sure many other ITV viewers would. Not everyone is as in love with all things Premier League like every single pundit on English tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Blatter wrote: »
    Another thing is when people use a particular set of results in isolation to prove a team is better or worse than another team.

For example, I've seen people suggest that we're worse than the Faroes because they only lost 3-0 in Germany and we lost 6-1 at home to Germany.

In fairness, it's not completely wrong. The Faroes are supposed to be a much worse team than us but went to Germany and lost 3-0. Considering we were at home, we shouldnt have lost by a larger margin yet we did. Looked like it was going to be double that until very late on.

It doesnt mean the Faroes are a better team, it just means we should be worried about our chances on Tuesday and in the group as a whole. We could have been bottom of the group right now had we not gotten a dodgy penalty against Kazakhstan.

• Advertisement

Prick! wrote: »
    Google football. football is short for association football, i.e soccer.

Rugby is football too you know, it's not called football though.

lol. still wrong but can see you wont see the light

lol. still wrong but can see you wont see the light

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The idea of making fun of so called "minnows" because some/all of their players have jobs other than football.

What's wrong with having a second job? The vast vast majority of footballers in the world do not earn their income solely through football, if even at all. Players earning tens of thousands a week are in the tiny majority. The people making these jokes most likely aren't professional footballers themselves, so what's so funny about someone earning a few hundred euro from the sport, on top of his other job as an accountant or an IT manager or a builder?

"Soccer," by the way, is not some Yankee neologism but a word of impeccably British origin. It owes its coinage to a domestic rival, rugby, whose proponents were fighting a losing battle over the football brand around the time that we were preoccupied with a more sanguinary civil war. Rugby's nickname was (and is) rugger, and its players are called ruggers-a bit of upper-class twittery, as in "champers," for champagne, or "preggers," for enceinte. "Soccer" is rugger's equivalent in Oxbridge-speak. The "soc" part is short for "assoc," which is short for "association," as in "association football," the rules of which were codified in 1863 by the all-powerful Football Association, or FA-the FA being to the U.K. what the NFL, the NBA, and MLB are to the U.S.

Apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

The 'shoulder' is automatically given as a foul nowadays. I loved this element of the game when you had two lads running for the ball in the same direction and one gives the other a fair charge. Absolutely nothing wrong with this I think.
    I'd love to pin-point the exact moment when players went soft and referees became strict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The 'shoulder' is automatically given as a foul nowadays. I loved this element of the game when you had two lads running for the ball in the same direction and one gives the other a fair charge. Absolutely nothing wrong with this I think.
    I'd love to pin-point the exact moment when players went soft and referees became strict.

I think the problem is that it's not always shoulder to shoulder. A lot of the time its a shoulder from the back whereas before it was sort of a free for all, in that any shoulder contact was let go. But I agree it's given too much when it is even shoulder to shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The phrase 'sign of a good team' when a team plays bad and gets a win. It's not a 'sign' if it's only used when a bigger team plays bad and wins, but if a smaller team does it, this phrase is never used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The fact that so many people have problems getting the name of this team right:

"Nottingham Forest"

Its quite a simple name, yet I continually see people (especially on boards) refer to the club as "Notts Forest". There is and never was any "Notts" in the title. The only club in Nottingham with that name is County. Brian Clough in his time corrected a few reporters who made this faux-pas.

Even worse when people for some odd reason decide to spell our second name with two 'r's (I blame that Forrest Gump movie). The name is on our crest FFS! In BIG, BOLD LETTERS! There is even one particular poster on this forum who persistently refers to the club as "Notts Forrest".

Lord give me strength! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

eugeneious wrote: »

English punditry in general. Last season Alan Shearer honestly said on MOTD he didn't know an awful lot about Ben Arfa. If I was getting paid £40,000 a week to give my views on the Premier League I would certainly go and learn about one of the league's emerging talents. What is particularly pathetic about this is the fact that Ben Arfa plays for Newcastle, Shearer's club!

One other example that particularly infuriated me was after the City-Dortmund game the other week Adrian Childs said something along the lines of "We all hope Man City go through the group anyway". No we don't. I would personally like to see Dortmund and Real Madrid get through as I'm sure many other ITV viewers would. Not everyone is as in love with all things Premier League like every single pundit on English tv.

I really fail to see the point of English punditry. A bunch of yes men towing the official line. When was the last time anyone even said anything mildly heated or controversial?

Fact is with the rules English tv has to abide by Dunphy and co probably would not even be allowed on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

grenache wrote: »
    The fact that so many people have problems getting the name of this team right:

"Nottingham Forest"

Its quite a simple name, yet I continually see people (especially on boards) refer to the club as "Notts Forest". There is and never was any "Notts" in the title. The only club in Nottingham with that name is County. Brian Clough in his time corrected a few reporters who made this faux-pas.

Even worse when people for some odd reason decide to spell our second name with two 'r's (I blame that Forrest Gump movie). The name is on our crest FFS! In BIG, BOLD LETTERS! There is even one particular poster on this forum who persistently refers to the club as "Notts Forrest".

Lord give me strength! :rolleyes:

lol

I remember being at a reserves match between Forest and Sheffield United in Sheffield.

Forest got late winner and the guy over the intercom goes "Goal for Notts Forest scored by.........". The manager looks over to find the guy who says it waves his fist and says something like "Its Nottingham Forest you plonker" each word taking about 5 seconds to finish at top of his voice.

If only there was video cameras back then.

Not sure if this one has been done already as I haven't time to read through the full thread.

In anyway I was at a match on Sunday morning and they had a young left full playing. He made a mazy run towards the byline and was disposed by the oppositions centre half. The young left full had a tug of the CH jersey and gave away the free kick. All I could hear from the line and people around me was that was the lads inexperience showing.

Fast forward about 10 minutes on the opposite side and then much older right full makes an almost identical run forward which is also cut out. He gives away a free just like the left full but this time I'm hearing that that was a great bit of play to stop a possible counter attack. That was his experience that helped him there :rolleyes:

Younger players do something that might be unnecassary yet there deemed to lack experience and the older, more experienced players do the exact same thing or worse and it was great move because they are experienced!

What nonsense! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What a strange post, the crowd at that game were idiots imo.

I'd have applauded the youngfella as much as the older guy in that situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Des wrote: »

I'd have applauded the centre halves ;)

I'd have applauded the centre halves ;)

Depending on the team you support.

I am not in the habit of applauding opposition players, and if that offends the Sky Sports Football is for Families namby pambies, then fúck them.

Strange in what way Des?

Exactly. They both did the same thing but in thier eyes the younger player showed inexperience while the older lad showed experience. :confused:

• Advertisement

Danye wrote: »
    Strange in what way Des?

Exactly. They both did the same thing but in thier eyes the younger player showed inexperience while the older lad showed experience. :confused:

Because giving away a free kick at the opposition box after a move breaks down, to stop a potential counter attack is a good policy.

It's a "good free kick to give away", as it stops the game and allows your team to regroup and get back in shape to defend the inevitable punted long ball from the free kick in and around their box.

I am not in the habit of applauding opposition players, and if that offends the Sky Sports Football is for Families namby pambies, then fúck them.

Still just you against the world eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Buttonftw wrote: »

Still just you against the world eh?

No, just him against the opposition as he clearly stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

This is all superficial stuff but what the hell

Moicheal McMullen.:mad:

Robbie Irwin in the sports Dept. on RTE. Condescending prick.:mad:

That phone in show on Today FM. Brian from Dungarven "Its time for Wenger to go":)

Over Tanoy at Lansdowne "Lets see a sea of Green" :mad:

Dublin with a population of over 1 million people and they can barely muster a 1,000 for most of their games.

Lack of Cup Champion balls on sale these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Over analysing of things non football related-check liverpool thread on here
    Hillsbrough-when people bring this up when people mention the sun(only see this online)
    the idea that trapatonni has ireland punching above our weight
    when people say 'and that's why messi is the best in the world' trying to get one over ronaldo. its not exactly revolutionary to say that, most people think messi is the best!
    people who are like 'ah thank god international break is over' club football gets boring after about 5 years of watching football, its like the champions league an overrated competition that is barely interesting until last 8

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Hillsborough grinds your gears? Nice guy

Melion wrote: »
    Hillsborough grinds your gears? Nice guy

Is this the nice guy forum.

When I hear people like my friend who was born in Cork in 1986 getting all passionate about Hillsborough.:rolleyes:

That grinds my gears.

Is this the nice guy forum.

When I hear people like my friend who was born in Cork in 1986 getting all passionate about Hillsborough.:rolleyes:

That grinds my gears.

I was born in Limerick in 1984, what's your point?

I was born in Limerick in 1984, what's your point?

I was born in 1981. :p

Just a rant he was having at me one day about what someone has said to him about Hillbourough.

In my head I was just thinking, "you don't remember anything at all about that day".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I ****ing hate defensive midfielders; go and bloody attack and stop trying to break up play!!

The line 'the handball has to be intentional'; eh, who the hell handles the ball intentionally!?

The moving advertising boards on the side of the pitch now; you don't even have to look at the game anymore!

Naming stadiums after companies; **** off. And **** off, Aviva.

How gambling companies are quickly worming their way into everything to do with football- Ray Winstone and all that.

How European club football is now just a pissing contest between Russian and Middle Eastern oligarchs/slave owners and success can be bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The line 'the handball has to be intentional'; eh, who the hell handles the ball intentionally!?

Luis Suarez?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Ok here a few things that i'm surprised haven't been mentioned already.

1) Football management speak which appears to be coming from some form of updated handbook of cliches and terms. Pundits and players seem to be using it aswell. The phrases (usually at the end of every sentence)

"For me"

"If ya like"

"The Staff"

"The Group"

And the best of all is this insistence on referring to it as "the football club" at all times. (its a very important result for the football club) as opposed to the cricket club?

Its a recent enough thing but "the football club" is mentioned in nearly every interview you will see. And its contagious :D I'm waiting for the first goon to mention 3 points for the football club when he is on international duty.

Ok rant over there.

2) 2-0 is a dangerous lead. Lets forget scoring this penalty to put us two up, 1-0 is safer for us at this moment in time.

3) Trevor Welch. The single worst commentator in all of football and there are some shocking ones. Manages to keep his job despite gaffe after gaffe. My personal favourite being when he mistook David N'Gog for Ryan Babel despite the fact Babel was substitued at half time. It was very funny when N'Gog scored in the 85th minute and good old trev had to pretend like he knew it was N'Gog all along.

4) Lou Macari is just annoying. Manch united.

5) Craig Burley, clearly happy in any job where he can give an opinion, has often overspent his time arguing about some incident only to be shown on the replay that his view is the opposite of what actually happened.

6) Players mouthing at referees for sake of it to save face even when the player knows he is in the wrong- the presumption they are right and the ref is wrong. Says alot about the character of alot of football players.

7) Soccer AM- a horribly bad programme, with cringe inducing forced banter with "friends of the show" who were relevant last time the show was relevant- around 1999.

8) Sky Sports fantasy football show with Paul "The magic man" Merson (who is visibly cringing throughout) and that absolute goon "Fenners" who thinks everyone is a top man.

9) Ironic Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Ok here a few things that i'm surprised haven't been mentioned already.

1) Football management speak which appears to be coming from some form of updated handbook of cliches and terms. Pundits and players seem to be using it aswell. The phrases (usually at the end of every sentence)

"For me"

"If ya like"

"The Staff"

"The Group"

And the best of all is this insistence on referring to it as "the football club" at all times. (its a very important result for the football club) as opposed to the cricket club?

Its a recent enough thing but "the football club" is mentioned in nearly every interview you will see. And its contagious :D I'm waiting for the first goon to mention 3 points for the football club when he is on international duty.
    You could add "ever so well" to the list of cliches.

Check out Phil Thompson's use of the "football club", cringeworthy stuff.

Phil Thompson.
    Grecian 2000 head on him.

I despise when a player goes down and grabs the ball as if to say 'yeah, I was fouled, my free kick.' It's forcing the ref's hand.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I despise when a player goes down and grabs the ball as if to say 'yeah, I was fouled, my free kick.' It's forcing the ref's hand.

Yes
    The ref has to make a decision then.
    What is wrong with doing it though?

• Advertisement

Yes
    The ref has to make a decision then.
    What is wrong with doing it though?

Because it's petulant. If it's a foul, the ref should award it on his own or with help from his linesmen, not because some brat is grabbing the ball after a possible fair challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That pass back to goalie, return ball to defender, pass back to keeper routine. A high risk tactic and nothing good comes of it as a rule.

Because it's petulant. If it's a foul, the ref should award it on his own or with help from his linesmen, not because some brat is grabbing the ball after a possible fair challenge.

If it's a fair challange the ref can blow and award a free against him for handball.
    You don't see that much

soccer Am has very relevant guests in fairness.

Jake Bugg, Guys from Boardwalk empire were on it last week. Fairly relevant...

Back on topic,

I hate referees in the game who only give a foul when they are shouted at by the player. Ends up with massive arguments all the time.

I hate players who dont fulfill their potential or get anywhere near it just cos of a bad attitude.

I also really really dislike when a manager picks a blatantly useless player repeatedly over a much better option (imo of course :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

mike65 wrote: »
    That pass back to goalie, return ball to defender, pass back to keeper routine. A high risk tactic and nothing good comes of it as a rule.
    This used be 100 times worse before the rule was changed, remember West Germany v Austria '82 World Cup?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    This used be 100 times worse before the rule was changed, remember West Germany v Austria '82 World Cup?

Or the last 25mins of Holland Vs Ireland in 1990

Bonner to McCarthy, to Bonner, to Van Breukelen to Koeman to Van Breukelen to Bonner to McCarthy, to Bonner, to Van Breukelen to Koeman to Van Breukelen to Bonner to McCarthy, to Bonner, to Van Breukelen to Koeman to Van Breukelen to Bonner to McCarthy, to Bonner, to Van Breukelen to Koeman to Van Breukelen

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

When players' tweets become lead stories in the media

Furore over T-shirts and who doesn't wear them

Foreign teams being dismissed as cannon fodder just because most pundits know flip all about them - DO YOUR RESEARCH!!

Crowd trouble

Players waving imaginary cards at the referee

Additional Assistant Referees (aka goal-line officials)

Transfer 'sagas' being done to death

Its a guaranteed free kick every time. I have never once seen a ref give a free for handball because of it.

Its a guaranteed free kick every time. I have never once seen a ref give a free for handball because of it.

And this, eyescreamcone, is my answer to your question as to why it grinds my gears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm fairly sure Nani did it before and the ref gave the free the other for handball.

Advertisement