Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Oh come on, that was accidental

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

_46755419_handball466.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Notice the commentary there, Andy Gray - "he knows he's no other option here"

Suarez got slaughtered when he did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

People caring about name changes for example St. James Park and people who go on about the traditions of the game.

When Irish people talk about foreigners in the english game with no sense of irony

When Dunphy goes on a rant and uses Tiger Woods and some hurling manager as the yardstick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

EdenHazard wrote: »
    People caring about name changes for example St. James Park and people who go on about the traditions of the game.

When Irish people talk about foreigners in the english game with no sense of irony

When Dunphy goes on a rant and uses Tiger Woods and some hurling manager as the yardstick.

Or citing Ruby Walsh in an attempt to explain why Ronaldo is a bit of a joker in the sport of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Or citing Ruby Walsh in an attempt to explain why Ronaldo is a bit of a joker in the sport of football.

Actually ya thats one thing that gets on my nerves.

Or when somebody says you would not see that in GAA or Rugby match.

Or "I hate soccer because when I watch games all I see is cheating and diving". If you dont like soccer/football then dont watch it. Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

PHB wrote: »
    Ref's being biased towards big teams. I've always thought it's bull****. I think refs are biased towards home teams. I also think refs appear "biased" towards attacking teams, because they ask more questions of the ref in the box. If you're tackled 10 times in the box, vs. once in the box, there's more chance of a ref giving a penalty to the attacking team. I actually think, by in large, especially away from home, refs favour the worse team.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

John Giles' "analysis" of obscure teams/players:

"Well we don't know much about them Bill"

Do your fúcking research you clown.

Suarez tonight was booked for dissent and continued bitching at the referee so why wasn't he sent off? Where's the consistency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Its a guaranteed free kick every time. I have never once seen a ref give a free for handball because of it."

twice this has happened to me. fouled, fell on the ball - grabbed it, ref gave a free against me.

BOTH facking times the opponents pinged it into the top corner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Its a guaranteed free kick every time. I have never once seen a ref give a free for handball because of it.
    twice this has happened to me. fouled, fell on the ball - grabbed it, ref gave a free against me.

BOTH facking times the opponents pinged it into the top corner!!

Ya chancer ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Something that doesn't grind my gears but is stupid, when a manager goes mental at the 4th official for a peno/free kick not given etc.

The 4th official has nothing to do with the fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Because the whole world is out to get Liverpool and Suarez don't you know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Prick! wrote: »
    Something that doesn't grind my gears but is stupid, when a manager goes mental at the 4th official for a peno/free kick not given etc.

The 4th official has nothing to do with the fouls.

He can communicate with the official. Managers are likely demanding an explanation. You have a better chance of getting it from the 4th official than you do by roaring at the main official who almost definitely wont hear you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He can communicate with the official. Managers are likely demanding an explanation. You have a better chance of getting it from the 4th official than you do by roaring at the main official who almost definitely wont hear you.

Yeah but the 4th official isn't going to give a manager a reason why a foul wasn't given, because each referee is different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Inside out wingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Music at football matches. One of the best, if not the best, parts of football is the atmosphere that builds up in the run-up to kick off and the post-goal celebrations, so why drown them out with sh*te music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Notice the commentary there, Andy Gray - "he knows he's no other option here"

Suarez got slaughtered when he did it.

He?

You need a better alias than just 'Dave' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Music at football matches. One of the best, if not the best, parts of football is the atmosphere that builds up in the run-up to kick off and the post-goal celebrations, so why drown them out with sh*te music?

I'll echo that.

FAI serial offenders in this regard.

It was a scourge down at the Cross for a few season there. Just let the supporters celebrate and get the tanoy working for important things like.:confused:.......winning half time lotto ticket results.

• Advertisement

The phrase "He had every right to go down in that situation". Hate it.

You don't have a 'right' to go down, you are brought down. If not, tough luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

If it's drowning out the atmosphere then it's the atmosphere that's sh*te.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    5) Craig Burley, clearly happy in any job where he can give an opinion, has often overspent his time arguing about some incident only to be shown on the replay that his view is the opposite of what actually happened.
    His bitter hatred for Celtic came to an embarrassing peak during the Euros last summer when he claimed M'Vila had "pulled the strings against Celtic in the Europa League, not that that would be hard".

Yann M'Vila, the guy who didn't play in the first game against Celtic and got sent off in the second which Celtic won comfortably :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Totally agree.

One of the best examples, imo, is Standard Liege from Belgium.

They have some of the most passionate fans in the country, yet do this after every goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYM5ESU62rA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I'll echo that.

FAI serial offenders in this regard.

They did their best to drown out the Pats and Derry fans on Sunday. Though, at least they played songs that were relevant (eg, Teenage Kicks), though it'd have been better just to let the fans sing those songs.
    It was a scourge down at the Cross for a few season there. Just let the supporters celebrate and get the tanoy working for important things like.:confused:.......winning half time lotto ticket results.

Thankfully they got rid of it for goal celebrations. Now, if only they'd switch off the music 10-15 minutes before kick off in the bigger matches, we might be able to get a better pre-match atmosphere.
    If it's drowning out the atmosphere then it's the atmosphere that's sh*te.

If the PA isn't loud enough for fans to hear it, then it's not a very good PA.

If the PA isn't loud enough for fans to hear it, then it's not a very good PA.
    The PA at Parkhead is presumably a "very good PA", you can hear the announcements and the music, but when we score you generally can't hear it because the fans are cheering/singing.

It also tends to play music based on what the fans sing, rather than the other way around.

In short, get better fans.

The PA at Parkhead is presumably a "very good PA", you can hear the announcements and the music, but when we score you generally can't hear it because the fans are cheering/singing.

It also tends to play music based on what the fans sing, rather than the other way around.

That PA must be pretty audible in recent weeks then :D

Having 'better fans' has **** all to do with it.

There's plenty of stadiums where they put the music so extremely loud that it doesn't matter how 'good' the fans are.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    That PA must be pretty audible in recent weeks then :D
    Well there's only been 2 league games there in October and both had 47,000 so it wasn't that audible, no.

Uhu.

• Advertisement

Get some Scottish fans.

But seriously? The size of the ground has nothing to do with it of course either :rolleyes:

Fans (and media) who are too stupid to learn their own players' full names, so come up with ****ty nicknames and/or shorten the name.

players who stand about 2 feet away from the man in posession.

Then if they DO get a pass they seem shocked and generally lose it.

If you dont want the ball there dont fackin stand there!

Corholio wrote: »
    Get some Scottish fans.
    The majority of our match going fans are Scottish, what a strange thing to say :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Goalies wearing short sleeves...just wrong and makes me instantly doubt their capabilities.

Also, when a player loses the ball in the attacking third and, instead of pressing the defender & making it difficult, drags him down or pulls him back and gives away a soft free-kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The majority of our match going fans are Scottish, what a strange thing to say :confused:

Is there still that Celtic support Ireland, and Rangers support England going on up there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Is there still that Celtic support Ireland, and Rangers support England going on up there?
    Nonsense I no loads of bears not one supports England yes we have a few that do we also have fans that support Ireland and also NI I know of a few that support Itsly and no doubt a few will support other country's as well

Scottish Celtic fans I know either support Scotland and look out for Ireland (as they have Irish family) or support nobody. There is a - I'll throw in 'perceived' here to avoid an argument - long standing bias against Celtic players in the SFA and (mainly) for that reason, some Scottish Celtic fans have no time for the national team.

As for Rangers fans, you'd have to ask them. Apparently they also now hate the SFA due to their club being liquidated, so I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If I hear a commentator mention that City love 3-2 home wins one more time this season I think I'll punch myself in the face.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Goalies wearing short sleeves...just wrong and makes me instantly doubt their capabilities.
    disculpe?

iker-casillas-05.jpg

260px-Gianluigi_Buffon_Euro_2012_final_02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

EdenHazard wrote: »
    disculpe?

iker-casillas-05.jpg

260px-Gianluigi_Buffon_Euro_2012_final_02.jpg

227467.jpg

:cool:

• Advertisement

Hahah short sleeves whatever about them but trackies to me start ringing alarm bells. Very few keepers do it anymore

_42111190_lama270.jpg

I know it sounds a bit macho buy players with colourful boots can piss off. Instantly makes me think they're a tosser, especially pink ones - not because I think it's girly just because it's total attention seeking. Usually a certain sort of player who has them too

hahahaha I have pink boots.

For no other reason than my last (black ones) fell apart and the pink ones were on sale for 15 euro!!

I know it sounds a bit macho buy players with colourful boots can piss off. Instantly makes me think they're a tosser, especially pink ones - not because I think it's girly just because it's total attention seeking. Usually a certain sort of player who has them too

Ye quality ballers like myself :P if your a winger you need them! BOOTS reflect personality :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

The phrase "He had every right to go down in that situation". Hate it.

You don't have a 'right' to go down, you are brought down. If not, tough luck.

See I disagree with this. I actually do think you have a right to go down now I'm not sayin dive I'm sayin if the defender doesn't make contact with the ball and its a legitimate foul you have every right to go down cos it's down to the referee to make the decision whether its a pen or not. The defender ain't doin himself any favours with the late tackle so you as a forward are def gonna take advantage of it.

If a player from your club takes advantage of bad defending and bad refereeing by winning a penalty are you gonna complain???

Again I'm not saying a player should dive I'm saying you have a right to go down if you feel its a foul on you and give the referee a decision to make.

Whether the ref awards a pen or the forward gets sent off if the ref thinks he's dived then so be it.

See I disagree with this. I actually do think you have a right to go down now I'm not sayin dive I'm sayin if the defender doesn't make contact with the ball and its a legitimate foul you have every right to go down cos it's down to the referee to make the decision whether its a pen or not. The defender ain't doin himself any favours with the late tackle so you as a forward are def gonna take advantage of it.

If a player from your club takes advantage of bad defending and bad refereeing by winning a penalty are you gonna complain???

Again I'm not saying a player should dive I'm saying you have a right to go down if you feel its a foul on you and give the referee a decision to make.

Whether the ref awards a pen or the forward gets sent off if the ref thinks he's dived then so be it.

Those two points completely conflict with each other. It is the referee's decision if something is awarded, regardless of whether a player goes down or not. If you have to go down to give a referee a decision to make then the game is in a bad place.

I see player's have a hand on their shoulder in the box, which happens with almost every tussle in midfield, and a player falls down, and then this gets said. You don't have a right to go down IMO if the tackle isn't enough to do it. Unfortunately that isn't the game these days, and it's all the worse for it.

A referee can still make a decision on a 'foul' whether you fall to the ground or not.

Did I say match going? Not as strange as what you said about a club having crap support if they can't be heard above a loud PA system.

Did I say match going? Not as strange as what you said about a club having crap support if they can't be heard above a loud PA system.
    No, I did. You said fans in general, and if a majority of our match-going fans are Scottish then by extension, we already have lots of Scottish fans.

It seems like you are criticising a club for having an international fanbase, which again, is very odd.

If a PA system is drowning out a large set of supporters after a goal then it is quite safe to assume those supporters could do with being a bit more vocal.

No, I did. You said fans in general, and if a majority of our match-going fans are Scottish then by extension, we already have lots of Scottish fans.

It seems like you are criticising a club for having an international fanbase, which again, is very odd.

If a PA system is drowning out a large set of supporters after a goal then it is quite safe to assume those supporters could do with being a bit more vocal.

The Scottish fans thing was just winding you up cos of your stupid comment.

It's not safe to assume anything when you just use a blanket comment like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Society of Black Lawyers....

Not even sure where to begin tbh. Every second BBC article seems to be talking about "action" being taken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement