Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mentioned it before, but this BT Sports soccer Saturday copy.

How sad is it?

Employing 5 guests and 2 presenters to fill couple of hours of nonsense. And to have people like Robbie Savage getting super excited then try to describe a goal to us, usually very badly.

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where someone said to come round to their house to watch the still pictures from the big fight.

Edit: even worse, I just noticed that they are now drawing diagrams of the goals as well, to show you where the players where, movement of ball etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I think the rule/punishment is stupid in itself nut the fact that the players know full well the rule yet take their jerseys off after scoring a goal and getting a needless yellow card is idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Pundits who can't see the positives in VAR. Get with the times lads.

I think the rule/punishment is stupid in itself nut the fact that the players know full well the rule yet take their jerseys off after scoring a goal and getting a needless yellow card is idiotic.

A joke alright. For some reason many footballers now seem to be gripped by a compulsion to strip. It's one that didn't really exist in bygone years. It's as if social media has fuelled an obsession with displaying their bodies...and of course the tattoos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A joke alright. For some reason many footballers now seem to be gripped by a compulsion to strip. It's one that didn't really exist in bygone years. It's as if social media has fuelled an obsession with displaying their bodies...and of course the tattoos.

What about the ones that take off their jersey to show support for somebody?

• Advertisement

I have no issue with such a celebration to be honest. That Ryan Giggs celebration against Arsenal is one of the most iconic moments in that treble year and the Shaqiri celebration at the WC was very funny (although maybe he was intentionally doing it to give the middle finger up to those calling him chubby), for goodness sake it is a bit of flesh, nothing to be offended by. It is not as if they are being innapropriate! )But the rules are them yet players still disregard them.

Tattoos are tattoos, nothing to do with being a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I remember the aegument that it was to do with time wasting. Jerseys getting lost in the crowd. Or wasting unneccesaary time putting it back on. Rather than the skin or tattoo thing.

While i agree its a silly rule, IF they abolished it tomorrow i could see 50%+ of scorers whipping the top off. Which could actually be time wasting

I thought the reason was because of sponsership on the jerseys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Not so much sponsorship but players taking off their shirts to reveal political messages was what started it. Football doesn't want anything happening on a pitch that can harm its brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

.G. wrote: »
    Not so much sponsorship but players taking off their shirts to reveal political messages was what started it. Football doesn't want anything happening on a pitch that can harm its brand.

Weird tho cos they just lift up the shirt to display the message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

But lets face it, it is a good rule.

Because, who wants to see this:

eyi31Yo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it should be allowed. It's harmless and I can totally understand people losing the plot a bit after scoring a goal. Players obviously know the rule, but like Salah the last day against Southampton, they'll take the card. I can understand a player getting carded for jumping into the crowd - even if I can understand why they'd do it - but booking them for taking off their jersey is ridiculous, it should be done away with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Some of it is instinctive action though like when Brandie Chastain scored the winning penalty in the Womens World Cup final, she said after she hadn't planned it, and that it just happened.

I think it's image driven.

If it is instinctive, it's an instinct that didn't exist in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and can't particularly remember it being popular in the 90s until the Chastain moment in 99. The rise of gym and selfie culture and the overall narcissism of the social media era has seen everyone obsess about their body a little more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah whether its a stupid rule or not seems a bit irrelevant to me. Can you not celebrate without taking your top off? Is it that hard? They manage it in other sports just fine

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Yeah whether its a stupid rule or not seems a bit irrelevant to me. Can you not celebrate without taking your top off? Is it that hard? They manage it in other sports just fine

Sure why bother celebrate at all. It's their job.

Emotions run high at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ye guys need to lighten up if players taking off their tops bother ye thst much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Sure why bother celebrate at all. It's their job.

Emotions run high at that time.

Like every other sport so yet they keep their shirts on. Twice as dumb when you know it’s a certain card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Weird tho cos they just lift up the shirt to display the message

This is true, they didn't spot the potential for that! Its the one rule in footy I hate.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Like every other sport so yet they keep their shirts on. Twice as dumb when you know it’s a certain card

Lots of sports celebrated differently.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Ye guys need to lighten up if players taking off their tops bother ye thst much.

Which could kinda be said about every single post on this thread. After all, it's only a game etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think it's image driven.

If it is instinctive, it's an instinct that didn't exist in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and can't particularly remember it being popular in the 90s until the Chastain moment in 99. The rise of gym and selfie culture and the overall narcissism of the social media era has seen everyone obsess about their body a little more.

It was around long before social media and selfies. Probably has more to do with player power / money / fame that really gripped the game around then along with sex/sex appeal becoming more and more part of popular culture.

I blame Diet Coke.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm assuming the removing shirts thing is sponsor lead as it's when they get most airtime.

To that end, I'd love if a player removed their shirt and had another underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Weepsie wrote: »
    To that end, I'd love if a player removed their shirt and had another underneath.
    Goran Vlaovic of Padova used to wear 2 shirts so he could tear one off and throw it to the crowd when he scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm assuming the removing shirts thing is sponsor lead as it's when they get most airtime.

Ravanelli did it when playing for Middlesboro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would that get you a yellow card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I remembered another thing that annoys me while I was watching Crystal Palace v Man City on the telly yesterday - fans doing that bloody stupid Olé cry whenever a team strings 4 or 5 passes together.

(Although I do sometimes enjoy it when it's done sarcastically ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

"Hazard had the chance to equalize" after having two chances while 2-0 down.

The second doesn't happen if the first is scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Last few weeks on 'football twitter' and football fans are really annoying me. But there is a pattern that has emerged this season from certain fanbases. I am a Liverpool fan, so a lot centers around this, but I'm sure a lot of people will be able to see where I am coming from.

What really annoys me is this constant grouping of 2 or 3 lads (in real life) or 2 or 3 kids (on forums / twitter etc) and then grouping them into a fanbase as a whole.

Gonna just give a couple of examples of the constant sh*t-talk that I have to see every other day, as I have a lot of friends that support different teams and I try follow a few fans from each club to get a more overall view rather than 1 person's centric view. And I follow a very high number of them (300+) and taking into account the retweet / like functionality and the reach that tweets get, there is a high chance that I would have seen someone say it. I am on twitter a lot every day :o

1. Earlier in the season, when VVD (who went on to be Player of the Year) was hitting top form, bet365 put up a tweet about VVD being the best defender of the PL era. It got a lot of attention, which they wanted. But for some reason, a lot of rival fans picked up on this and it then turned into a massive 'Liverpool fans are a joke. they call VVD the best ever etc what has he won etc'.

I must have seen 50-100 tweets of people giving out about Liverpool fans saying he is the best ever.
      The number of tweets from Liverpool fans I read saying that? Zero.
    2. Not once did I see anyone complain about Gary Linekar celebrating a goal by his former team (and to be fair he is a massive Messi-man), but because some clickbait site found 3 tweets from random fan accounts, it means that all Liverpool fans were complaining about it.
    3. Suarez said he would celebrate if he scored against Liverpool, and in my eyes, he was right to. A CL semi final, big goal. Hasn't scored in CL all season.
    4. But apparently Liverpool fans are now in support of Evra and all that s**t is being talked about. Apparently Liverpool fans backed Suarez through all the biting incidents (I never saw any) but just because a few fan accounts make that up and throw it in, it is now a fact and all the clowns lap it up.
    5. No Liverpool fan asked for a replay or UEFA to suspend Messi for the 2nd leg because he moved the ball for the sublime free kick. But again, if one random kid says it on twitter, it means that a full fanbase are saying it.
    6. I do have to laugh at the people that think that the Barca 3-0 United game and the Barca 3-0 Liverpool games were the same because of the scoreline though.
    7. And possibly the worst is apparently Liverpool fans are all in support of the d***head who pushed a man into a fountain. Again, because some fan account for one player or team says it and it spirals out of control and apparently it's all Liverpool fans.

And without trying to derail this into another one of 'those' threads, yes the majority of the claims above come from the one club's fanbase who seem to be incredibly bitter this season.

https://twitter.com/FootyHumour/status/1123954741673959427

https://twitter.com/Unitedology/status/1123677597316067328

https://twitter.com/JohnBrewin_/status/1123903299609088002

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

FitzShane wrote: »
    What really annoys me is this constant grouping of 2 or 3 lads (in real life) or 2 or 3 kids (on forums / twitter etc) and then grouping them into a fanbase as a whole.
    yes the majority of the claims above come from the one club's fanbase who seem to be incredibly bitter this season.

Its like some sort of performance art...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Its like some sort of performance art...

I know it can be construed that way but there is a lot of references I can use for what has being going on.... a recent game last midweek should only be used as another example and that was pretty overwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FitzShane wrote: »
    Last few weeks on 'football twitter' and football fans are really annoying me. But there is a pattern that has emerged this season from certain fanbases. I am a Liverpool fan, so a lot centers around this, but I'm sure a lot of people will be able to see where I am coming from.

Gonna just give a couple of examples of the constant sh*t-talk that I have to see every other day, as I have a lot of friends that support different teams and I try follow a few fans from each club to get a more overall view rather than 1 person's centric view. And I follow a very high number of them (300+) and taking into account the retweet / like functionality and the reach that tweets get, there is a high chance that I would have seen someone say it. I am on twitter a lot every day :o

1. Earlier in the season, when VVD (who went on to be Player of the Year) was hitting top form, bet365 put up a tweet about VVD being the best defender of the PL era. It got a lot of attention, which they wanted. But for some reason, a lot of rival fans picked up on this and it then turned into a massive 'Liverpool fans are a joke. they call VVD the best ever etc what has he won etc'.

I must have seen 50-100 tweets of people giving out about Liverpool fans saying he is the best ever.
      The number of tweets from Liverpool fans I read saying that? Zero.
    2. Not once did I see anyone complain about Gary Linekar celebrating a goal by his former team (and to be fair he is a massive Messi-man), but because some clickbait site found 3 tweets from random fan accounts, it means that all Liverpool fans were complaining about it.
    3. Suarez said he would celebrate if he scored against Liverpool, and in my eyes, he was right to. A CL semi final, big goal. Hasn't scored in CL all season.
    4. But apparently Liverpool fans are now in support of Evra and all that s**t is being talked about. Apparently Liverpool fans backed Suarez through all the biting incidents (I never saw any) but just because a few fan accounts make that up and throw it in, it is now a fact and all the clowns lap it up.
    5. No Liverpool fan asked for a replay or UEFA to suspend Messi for the 2nd leg because he moved the ball for the sublime free kick. But again, if one random kid says it on twitter, it means that a full fanbase are saying it.
    6. I do have to laugh at the people that think that the Barca 3-0 United game and the Barca 3-0 Liverpool games were the same because of the scoreline though.
    7. And possibly the worst is apparently Liverpool fans are all in support of the d***head who pushed a man into a fountain. Again, because some fan account for one player or team says it and it spirals out of control and apparently it's all Liverpool fans.

And without trying to derail this into another one of 'those' threads, yes the majority of the claims above come from the one club's fanbase who seem to be incredibly bitter this season.

https://twitter.com/FootyHumour/status/1123954741673959427

https://twitter.com/Unitedology/status/1123677597316067328

https://twitter.com/JohnBrewin_/status/1123903299609088002

hmm, welcome to the era of Social media and people wanting their 15 minutes of fame, gives a soap box to every tom, dick and harry who think they are funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Listening to some clueless prick in my office say “Yeah Rafa will let Liverpool win this weekend. If they’re winning, he’ll take off his best players.” I’ve heard this **** from a few Liverpool fans.

Firstly, how in the name of **** do they know what Rafa is thinking?

Secondly, it’s massively disrespectful to a man who has always done his job in a professional manner. I’m sure Rafa loves Liverpool but I can’t see him willingly throwing a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Not so much in football, but on boards.....

Someone makes an observation/prediction, for example, "I think Liverpool will win tonight".

Straight away someone comes in with the bookies odds and "why don't you put a bet on if you're so sure" and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Listening to some clueless prick in my office say “Yeah Rafa will let Liverpool win this weekend. If they’re winning, he’ll take off his best players.” I’ve heard this **** from a few Liverpool fans.

Firstly, how in the name of **** do they know what Rafa is thinking?

Secondly, it’s massively disrespectful to a man who has always done his job in a professional manner. I’m sure Rafa loves Liverpool but I can’t see him willingly throwing a game.
    Of course he won't. Was like when United were playing City a few weeks ago and they were going on like the players would just down tools so City can win the title instead. They downed tools because they were ****e, not because they give a **** about who wins the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Of course he won't. Was like when United were playing City a few weeks ago and they were going on like the players would just down tools so City can win the title instead. They downed tools because they were ****e, not because they give a **** about who wins the league.

It’s typical of some Liverpool fans who think that they’re special.

They are...but not in the way they believe.

I think that is a bad analogy, despite the fact that I agree about Rafa not wanting to purposefully down tools somewhat tonight . He is a professional and dignified, always has been.
    Rafa does have an emotional investment in Liverpool, a lot stronger than United players "emotional investment in Liverpool not winning the league@ ! But the most significant thing is Utd had something to play for, were playing a local derby.

Neither Utd or Newcastle and/or their respective managers etc wanted/will not want to drop points in the respective games but they are very different examples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think that is a bad analogy, despite the fact that I agree about Rafa not wanting to purposefully down tools somewhat tonight . He is a professional and dignified, always has been.
    Rafa does have an emotional investment in Liverpool, a lot stronger than United players "emotional investment in Liverpool not winning the league@ ! But the most significant thing is Utd had something to play for, were playing a local derby.

Neither Utd or Newcastle and/or their respective managers etc wanted/will not want to drop points in the respective games but they are very different examples

The overall point I am making stands though. Professionals want to win games. They will not try less just to give another side a better chance at winning something.

Liverpook will beat Newcastle tonight because they are a better team. No more, no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

https://twitter.com/FutbolBible/status/1126173151401062400

Was delighted to see Liverpool turn it around, but it baffles me to see some people getting behind this level of disrespect towards possibly the greatest player to ever play the game :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

https://twitter.com/FutbolBible/status/1126173151401062400

Was delighted to see Liverpool turn it around, but it baffles me to see some people getting behind this level of disrespect towards possibly the greatest player to ever play the game :confused:

"Trolled". Apparently showing horrible disrespect to somebody for no reason is now "trolling".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Grown men getting upset that a twelve year old stuck their finger up at Messi grinds my gears.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Grown men getting upset that a twelve year old stuck their finger up at Messi grinds my gears.

Nobody's getting upset. It's called having a bit of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Plenty on the comments of that tweet upset. You'd think all these people on here, on Twitter, on Facebook, hadn't been to a single game of football between them if they think a young fan giving the finger to the opposition's best player is worth commenting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats simply not a word that some understand
    #bantz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Messi rolling around in the first leg and asking the ref to bring out the cards wasn't very classy, I thought that young lad was great, same as the ballboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

dan1895 wrote: »
    Plenty on the comments of that tweet upset. You'd think all these people on here, on Twitter, on Facebook, hadn't been to a single game of football between them if they think a young fan giving the finger to the opposition's best player is worth commenting on.

Doing it in the stands is NOT the same as being a ball boy and running across the pitch to do it.

The kid should never get near a ballyboy role ever again.

Messi rolling around in the first leg and asking the ref to bring out the cards wasn't very classy, I thought that young lad was great, same as the ballboy.

You think a young lad running up to a person giving them the finger is great?

No wonder we have so many knackers in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You think a young lad running up to a person giving them the finger is great?

No wonder we have so many knackers in Ireland

Probably thinks the same of lad shoving others into a fountain :pac:

Altho tbh its probably just like Suarez this week, if it someone connected TO Liverpool its "great:" but if anyone dared do that to Salah it would be the greatest offence in the history of man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

No, I think the idiot who pushed people into the fountain is just that, an idiot, who should be banned from going to games, clearly some of the fans over in Barcelona let themselves and the club down.

Personally wouldn't be getting up in arms over a ballboy giving Messi the finger, like I wouldn't be getting up in arms about Suarez going out of his way to laugh in Robertson's face in the Nou Camp after Barca scored. Champions league semi-finals, I'd be disappointed not to see such levels of shi*-housery on display.

No, I think the idiot who pushed people into the fountain is just that, an idiot, who should be banned from going to games, clearly some of the fans over in Barcelona let themselves and the club down.

Personally wouldn't be getting up in arms over a ballboy giving Messi the finger, like I wouldn't be getting up in arms about Suarez going out of his way to laugh in Robertson's face in the Nou Camp after Barca scored. Champions league semi-finals, I'd be disappointed not to see such levels of shi*-housery on display.

I personally think there's a difference between sh1t-housery between players and a fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement