Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I mean on the pitch, not condoning what any of those fans did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Just to be clear, what annoyed me was more the response to the kid doing it than the action itself.
    Rush of adrenaline at the final whistle, kids that age often being little ****s given the opportunity and all.

It didn't 'offend' me, but I found it kind of pathetic the amount of people celebrating it as being deserved or something worth cheering about, especially with the backdrop of everyone absolutely buzzing having qualified for the final.
    Don't get why people seem to want to applaud and encourage such negative cvntish behaviour.

Out of all the players too.
    Not that it would have been all that more commendable had it been Suarez or Coutinho, but certainly more understandable at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It should be an automatic card for making the "shush" gesture. Barkley and Ozil at it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

If he was a ball boy does that mean he was in the Liverpool academy, like the quick thinking guy who got the assist for goal #4? If so, bad form, and I'd expect him to be reprimanded.
    But back to gear grinding.
    The biased co-commentator on BT, giving out that Trapp moved, but saying nothing for Kepa blocking the first penalty, when he was also "off his line" early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fans who get holier than thou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

No, I think the idiot who pushed people into the fountain is just that, an idiot, who should be banned from going to games, clearly some of the fans over in Barcelona let themselves and the club down.

Personally wouldn't be getting up in arms over a ballboy giving Messi the finger, like I wouldn't be getting up in arms about Suarez going out of his way to laugh in Robertson's face in the Nou Camp after Barca scored. Champions league semi-finals, I'd be disappointed not to see such levels of shi*-housery on display.

So wait that kids in the video above is a ballboy? Why then is the steward running after him? He is this much - away from a Jack Grealish incident and if Liverpool had any balls(excuse the pun:)) they'd ban him. But they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

FatherTed wrote: »
    So wait that kids in the video above is a ballboy? Why then is the steward running after him? He is this much - away from a Jack Grealish incident and if Liverpool had any balls(excuse the pun:)) they'd ban him. But they won't.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fan-pitch-invader-who-16248951

Looks like he's actually not a ballboy or member of the academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He is only a kid.

And kids do stupid things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes. And the role of an adult is to proportionally punish kids when they do stupid things. Because if you don't, they will continue to be stupid and be a stupid adult.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Yes. And the role of an adult is to proportionally punish kids when they do stupid things. Because if you don't, they will continue to be stupid and be a stupid adult.

Sure, but you can't over react to things either. The amount of hand wringing that's going on about is disproportionate to the triviality of the incident. Obviously, yes the kid shouldn't have done it, but, I'm not going to lie I did laugh a little at it. Come on, there's comedy there, even if it's not commendable behaviour! But, I do forget that some football fans can be a very sanctimonious bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

This fad of filming pundits reactions to goals needs to stop immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

padd b1975 wrote: »

I actually quite enjoy it. Shows they are fans of the game just the same as us. That can sometimes get forgotten because whenever you see them, they have to be professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I actually quite enjoy it. Shows they are fans of the game just the same as us. That can sometimes get forgotten because whenever you see them, they have to be professional.

Ferdinand is obviously playing up for the cameras though. He's a sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Fan clappers - you seriously can't use your own hands to clap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

padd b1975 wrote: »

Thats more a BT thing.

BT also has a larger percentage of pundits who I'd like to punch in the face, compared to Sky.

Sky arent blessed with excellent pundits or commentators but when compared to BT, theyre clearly better.

Owen, Mcmanaman, Ferdinand, Hoddle, Jenas, Hargreaves, its a who's who of absolute drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats more a BT thing.

BT also has a larger percentage of pundits who I'd like to punch in the face, compared to Sky.

Sky arent blessed with excellent pundits or commentators but when compared to BT, theyre clearly better.

Owen, Mcmanaman, Ferdinand, Hoddle, Jenas, Hargreaves, its a who's who of absolute drivel.

That's a grim list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

BTs pundits come across as more biased to their former clubs than Sky do.

Jenas praising Dele Alli for a great pass when he really miscontrolled it into Mouras path the other night was laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    BTs pundits come across as more biased to their former clubs than Sky do.

Jenas praising Dele Alli for a great pass when he really miscontrolled it into Mouras path the other night was laughable.

Not sure how you can say that was miscontrolled to be honest, it was unreal composure in a ridiculously high pressured moment. If you disagree, fine but I think you might need to watch it again, maybe different angles will change your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

GavRedKing wrote: »
    commentators but when compared to BT, theyre clearly better.

Jenas and Hargreaves? I find both of them knowledgeable enough and it's clear they do their research. Or at least ask the staff to do it for them. I'd rather listen to them over most choices.

Owen, McManaman and Ferdinand are awful pundits and horrendously stupid people. You could cope with their stupidity if they at least talked some sense about the game they spent decades playing....but they don't. They are lazy and do nothing but speak in cliches. You'd get more insight from the local barstool.

Don't get me started on Robbie Savage. BT really do have some awful pundits on the books. Sky aren't much better. Jamie Redknapp and Alex Scott barely have a brain cell between them. If you ever need an example of affirmative action, look no further than Alex Scott. She can barely form a sentence without tripping over herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Commentator saying that leadership of the premier league table has changed 32 times over the course of the season. It's true I'm sure, but it used to mean teams dropping points and then their rivals doing so, now it just means that they play on different days or times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Martin Tyler?

That would explain it. He's like Sky's PR man. And part-time commentator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

NIMAN wrote: »
    Martin Tyler?

That would explain it. He's like Sky's PR man. And part-time commentator.
    A stream of dubious legality. NBC in the corner, so not sure which UK channel it is originally, maybe it's doing its own broadcast. Lee Dixon was the co-commentator/analyst.

People going on to the Man City thread to congratulate anonymous supporters on the success of the club they picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

football pundits trying to elevate liverpools second place finish as if they have achieved something this season. They havent.
    They have not won the title. As bill shankly said, 1st is 1st second is nowhere.
    They'll lose the cl final too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

People going on to the Man City thread to congratulate anonymous supporters on the success of the club they picked.

Yevoil town fan here just wanted to say ... :pac:

There's always a supporter or two from the team being congratulated that takes it on though.
    Giving their introspective view on the season or achievement as if they were part of the team

Fans sending congratulations to other fans.

Its not like some guy sitting in his ma's house in Ireland did anything to help Liverpool this season, why is he getting congratulated?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Fans sending congratulations to other fans.

Its not like some guy sitting in his ma's house in Ireland did anything to help Liverpool this season, why is he getting congratulated?

The worst is the "Liverpool fan here and I'd like to congratulate you..."

Not so much a "lads I really think there was a connection between you and the success", more a "I am SOOOO magnanimous and fair, aren't I"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The word 'bottle'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Yeah that man City thread is fairly cringe alright, you may aswell send a pm to blueser while your at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Watching the FA Cup final and there's a beinsports logo floating about the screen. Seems to have stopped now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Watching the FA Cup final and there's a beinsports logo floating about the screen. Seems to have stopped now.

You could watch it on a legal stream and you wouldn't have that problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Empty seats at the fa cup final. Loads of them and the best seats too. Give them to local kids if some tosser in a suit can't be bothered turning up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Empty seats at the fa cup final. Loads of them and the best seats too. Give them to local kids if some tosser in a suit can't be bothered turning up

Probably just spent the whole game in the bar behind the seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

This is because someone calling themselves beoutQ is stealing their streams & rebroadcasting them, even via satellite :pac:

They're Saudi based/backed and Qatar can do nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It was in a pub in Spain so I naively assumed it was legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

eh i dunno wrote: »

85,854 At the game yesterday. High 89k almost 90k seems to be the highest attendances since the final came back to Wembley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

This is probably more of a genuine concern than a "grind your gears" but the way football on tv is being sliced up is doing my absolute tits in. I live in NI and so champs league is on BT not terrestrial and I am not forking out for both them and Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

This is probably more of a genuine concern than a "grind your gears" but the way football on tv is being sliced up is doing my absolute tits in. I live in NI and so champs league is on BT not terrestrial and I am not forking out for both them and Sky.

It's the opposite of competition - it's a cartel. That, plus the 6pm kickoffs, meant I watched less CL than ever this season. And then there's RTE and VM bith having the same game on a Tuesday with nothing on a Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If you have an tv aerial, you can pick up RTÉ 2 and virgin media so you can get the CL that way and it’s not blocked like it is in the sky system.

• Advertisement

If you have an tv aerial, you can pick up RTÉ 2 and virgin media so you can get the CL that way and it’s not blocked like it is in the sky system.

Had no idea about that, thanks very much. It is pathetic, plus there are 3pm Saturday games on Sky if I lived an hour west instead of in NI.

It's the opposite of competition - it's a cartel. That, plus the 6pm kickoffs, meant I watched less CL than ever this season. And then there's RTE and VM bith having the same game on a Tuesday with nothing on a Wednesday

Absolutely, pretty sure Amazon have some rights soon or something also.

Jack Grealish's hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I suppose the older I get the less I care for a "club" as opposed players.

Not really for this thread , put no where else to put it.

I'm a fan of eSports far more than football as I got older and dont feel "obligated for a club" yet I still do. I don't understand it.

I never celebrated previous clubs history to my life. It's just not me. I don't care because I never saw it.

In esports. I follow players because at the end of the day they're organizations they swap players etc and to me it just makes more sense as I got older

I'm not looking to argue with "Why " people support the club they do. I get it to down extent.

Need I say it again.

Irish media's obsession with the EPL.

So the fixtures have just been announced and we have it all over the media already. Currently TodayFM have their sports reporter on the morning show chatting about the coming season.

I suppose TodayFM do seem to live for the EPL. I'd say some of those sports reporters wouldn't know what to talk about if they couldn't mention the EPL.

And to think all these folk actually have live football taking place all over the summer months, but do they ever talk about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

People using only a player's first name on a forum/twitter

Awful cringey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'm a fan of eSports far more than football as I got older and dont feel "obligated for a club" yet I still do. I don't understand it.

I never celebrated previous clubs history to my life. It's just not me. I don't care because I never saw it.

In esports. I follow players because at the end of the day they're organizations they swap players etc and to me it just makes more sense as I got older

I'm not looking to argue with "Why " people support the club they do. I get it to down extent.

What are esports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

What are esports?
    Competitive electronic gaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

People who get worked up about what a club will spend on players. Arguing till the cows come home about how a player is only worth X amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

764dak wrote: »
    Competitive electronic gaming

Well, I suppose that's more entertaining and skillful than women's football ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What are esports?

Basically people playing FIFA or some other video games on PS or XBox against each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement