Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The faux outrage about Bury and Bolton.

99.9% of football fans and media couldn't give a toss about the clubs, they aren't glamorous enough. They will soon be yesterdays news.

Just gave Sky TV something to have sliding banners about for a few days.

But sure it'll be Super Sunday again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

NIMAN wrote: »
    The faux outrage about Bury and Bolton.

99.9% of football fans and media couldn't give a toss about the clubs, they aren't glamorous enough. They will soon be yesterdays news.

Just gave Sky TV something to have sliding banners about for a few days.

But sure it'll be Super Sunday again soon.

Im not sure it is fake. Sky will cover the news and once its over its over. But it is shocking how the lifeblood of a town or city, that means so much to the community, around since the 1880s can be expelled in a league that generates billions. How can Bury itself allow it to fold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

joeguevara wrote: »
    Im not sure it is fake. Sky will cover the news and once its over its over. But it is shocking how the lifeblood of a town or city, that means so much to the community, around since the 1880s can be expelled in a league that generates billions. How can Bury itself allow it to fold.

If it meant so much to the community then perhaps they should have supported it a bit more.

Your last line is correct, Bury allowed itself to fold, nobody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

If it meant so much to the community then perhaps they should have supported it a bit more.

Your last line is correct, Bury allowed itself to fold, nobody else.

Thats a bit harsh on the fans. Granted I'm sure there were plenty who didn't show up every Saturday to watch them who were shouting loudest about them going bust. Saying that, all of the coverage I've read points the blame squarely at the current owner Steve Dale and the previous owner who he bought it off. The EFL require no proof of funds to purchase a club, Dale could never afford (or didn't have the appetite to put his money in) to run the club in any sensible way. He got by with mortgaging the ground and some jiggery pokery with his own business interests to keep the club going. I think it was the mortgage on the ground itself that ruined any potential buyout. You can't blame the fans for that, though I do agree with some other clubs fans that its a bit rich to whinge now when they benefitted from Dale putting together a team they couldn't afford in order to get promoted.

When footballers and managers wrestle with issues that are really beyond their understanding.

The latest is Neil Warnock fuming that buying a club for a pound is just criminal. But...erm...if that's the value of a business, what artificially inflated sum would satisfy Neil? A fiver? 100 guineas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ignorance like this:
    I just don’t see why a defender should ever win the Uefa Player of the Year award. A defender is never going to be the best footballer in the world, they wouldn’t be a defender if they were. The hardest thing to do in football is score a goal, ask anyone that’s ever played the game.
    Defenders are just as important a part of the game as attackers. Defending is an art. Defenders are not poor footballers (that's quite a lazy analogy, tbh), they offer different skills as they focus on a different part of the game. I say that as someone who plays up front. I hate playing in defence because I'm not up to it.

Anyone who thinks similar to that comment hasn't a clue about football.

As part of a wider debate, people who don't appreciate the defensive side of the game. It is great to see free-flowing attacking football but not all teams are capable of doing that, for various reasons. Some teams have to set up defensively and when they do it effectively, they should be applauded. I remember hating that Greece team that won the Euros but I respect them for what they achieved. I had similar feelings about Bolton in the Sam Allardyce days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Anyone who thinks similar to that comment hasn't a clue about football.

So, Alex Ferguson then.
    If you look at the Ballon d’Or winners for the last 50 years, only two defensive players have won it. And I question one of those because one was Franz Beckenbauer, I’m not sure he was a defensive player, I think he was more of a creative player. The other was an Italian, [Fabio] Cannavaro, in 2006.

“So, I think the general consensus of what great players are, usually falls on the mantle of the creative players who win games.

So, Alex Ferguson then.
    It's not the same comment, though.

That guy on BBC said defenders aren't good footballers.

Alex Ferguson pointed out that, generally, creative players are valued more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

When clubs are in trouble/or fold and some fans act as if it's throwing waste into a bin because they have no attachment. The usual 'rules are rules' and 'they should have supported their team' etc. Lots of teams have small attendances and survive, there's always a lot of different reasons why it happens. It just shows that the Premier League has made people programmed to be comfortable in swathes of money and if anything isn't like that, it must be some terribly run business that should be just discarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Its probably been posted already but those constant betting ads during games / highlights and on kits.

As obnoxious as that betting company are, at least they are letting the teams they sponsor not have to wear their logo on their kits.

As obnoxious as that betting company are, at least they are letting the teams they sponsor not have to wear their logo on their kits.

The stunt they pulled to advertise that was worse than actually having it on the shirts imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The kind of underhand time-wasting utilised by Red Star on Tuesday night.
    Unpunishable by the referee, but so obvious, as the ball boys refused to pass the ball back to either team, in order to run down the clock. Clearly coached and delivered in a way that Swansea City would have been proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fans of whatever clubs saying Man U and City and Pool (or their fans) should give money to clubs like Bury and Bolton or they are scum and its their fault that Bury and Bolton are run by lunatics oh and Sky Sports....

Ehh thats literally the same as giving money to a junkie, yah fcuking think he/she is going to invest it well???

Cop the fcuk on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fans of whatever clubs saying Man U and City and Pool (or their fans) should give money to clubs like Bury and Bolton or they are scum and its their fault that Bury and Bolton are run by lunatics oh and Sky Sports....

Ehh thats literally the same as giving money to a junkie, yah fcuking think he/she is going to invest it well???

Cop the fcuk on tbh.

I do think that there needs to be some help given to football league sides from the premiership...the gap is widening and clubs are struggling to exist while being competitive.

It's an FA issue really. But looking at what some youth players are getting paid in the PL without making a senior appearance is in some cases sickening.

Should also be proper financial planning and enforcement within the football league

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

dreamers75 wrote: »

Cop the fcuk on tbh.

Agree with the sentiment but due to FFP how could City give money to another club when they get criticised for spending money on their own club. You can’t win.

Dirty oil money when they spend it themselves but people crying from the rooftops to give the dirty oil money to other clubs. Laughable.

Football clubs are like all other businesses now.

They have no more right to exist than homebase or woodies.

If businesses make huge losses they tend to go bust. Football clubs seem to be able to survive longer than most. Many are in debt to their eyeballs yet still operate.

Perhaps if they were well run, live within their means and don't spend money they haven't got, they'd be ok.

I don't think they are deserving of special sympathy if they fail.

If businesses make huge losses they tend to go bust. Football clubs seem to be able to survive longer than most. Many are in debt to their eyeballs yet still operate.

Perhaps if they were well run, live within their means and don't spend money they haven't got, they'd be ok.

The thing is they were sold to a clown who passed a fit and proper persons test when he shouldn’t have been let within a mile of the club. He had no money, he ran the club to the ground & lied all time whilst doing it.

It’s not the clubs fault, it’s the Football League & FA’s Fault for allowing him to purchase it.

The constant reference to "fit and proper person".

It really should be a "person with enough money".

We can hardly suggest the owners of Man City, accused of participation in genocide, are fit and proper people, while the owners of Bury who may be guilty of little more than trying and failing in business are not fit and proper people.

The constant reference to "fit and proper person".

It really should be a "person with enough money".

We can hardly suggest the owners of Man City, accused of participation in genocide, are fit and proper people, while the owners of Bury who may be guilty of little more than trying and failing in business are not fit and proper people.

Key word you’ve written is guilty. The former is accused, the latter has been proven there for we can suggest it.

• Advertisement

gstack166 wrote: »
    Key word you’ve written is guilty. The former is accused, the latter has been proven there for we can suggest it.

I think you miss the point.

It was not about the standard of evidence. Plus the UAE themselves confirm they carry out air strikes, it's unusual you would doubt them.

It was about the term fit and proper. As understand in fact the FA itself have changed the phrase to the "owners and directors test", which is a little more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Issue for championship clubs is that they are all spending 90% if not more of their revenue on wages, most PL clubs are around 70% I believe. So if you are the owner of a championship club and decide you're going to live within your means and be sensible then you are getting relegated. You won't attract players if every other championship club is paying more than they can afford which is happening in most cases I would suggest. Look at Derby, they're up to their neck in dodgy ****e to keep afloat ("selling" the ground). If you get to the premier league you get that massive cash injection and can generally pay off your debts but if you don't year after year then eventually you run out of road.

Take my club for example, Ipswich Town. Mick worked miracles with loan deals and getting experienced pros in to keep the club in the championship with almost no investment from the owner. Once he got run out of town by idiot fans we were always going straight down. Ended up signing a load of league 2 players who were not good enough for the championship and we finished bottom last year despite some January scrambling to bring in some better players. Wasn't enough and we are in league one now. Without putting more money into the club or taking bigger risks we will never be a premier league club again. And that's fine but you can't expect all owners to have no ambition or clubs not to challenge for the premier league. Either there are rules that say you have to live within your means or there aren't, and if there aren't then this is inevitably the consequence. I would have sympathy with any club that is going out of business due to poor management but its hardly fair to blame the fans. Its a tough environment for the "good" owners as well, the championship is a brutal competition to get out of with every single team very competitive. Couple of years of investment without success and you're potentially in trouble.

But more importantly Ipswich still are a functioning club. Because you were run better.

Only a few clubs can go up each year from each league. If 22 clubs spend big to achieve this, then at the end of the season 19 have wasted money.

It's finding a balance between what you wan to spend versus the chances of getting up. Arsene Wenger eventually did it in arsenal. He gave up trying to win the league and spending like utd or Chelsea, all he had to do was continue to get 4th and get into the CL.

Look at the spending of Real Madrid, juventus, psg, barca, city, inter etc. They are all spending big to win the CL. Only one can do it, the rest ate going to be disappointed and could be said to have wasted a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Cillian Sheridan's Twitter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Issue for championship clubs is that they are all spending 90% if not more of their revenue on wages, most PL clubs are around 70% I believe.

100%+ for Championship clubs, but at least understandable gambling on promotion.

But more alarming is 90%+ in league one and 80% in league two, where there is no EPL honeypot coming for Crawley, Burton Albion, Morecambe and Fleetwood anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wouldn't agree with giving them money, but the clubs could have say bought a player for 250,000 or some fee. Small for United / City, big for Bury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

the big deal made about Thursday matches in the Europa league. maybe i'm missing something here, but whats the difference between wed/sat in the champions league and Thurs/sun in the Europa league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Agree with the above fans are punished for owners/admin actions.

but its not the fault of man city or sky sports.

Dont get me started on the myth of fan run clubs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Cagliari's response to a third racist incident. They should be docked points if they can't identify the culprits. Statements are easily written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

gstack166 wrote: »
    Agree with the sentiment but due to FFP how could City give money to another club when they get criticised for spending money on their own club. You can’t win.

Dirty oil money when they spend it themselves but people crying from the rooftops to give the dirty oil money to other clubs. Laughable.

I wonder how many other clubs and fans would have assisted city had we lost the old division 3 play off final that year?

Fcuk the lot of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Gary Neville commentating on Man United matches

Jamie Carragher commentating on Liverpool matches

‘Mo Salah you dancerrrr’ should never be said by a co-commentator in celebration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

So the jokes are rampant of Everton and United getting relegated currently.

But if anyone mentions that Liverpool have the league wrapped up it's 'ThErEs a LoNg WaY tO gO"

So the jokes are rampant of Everton and United getting relegated currently.

But if anyone mentions that Liverpool have the league wrapped up it's 'ThErEs a LoNg WaY tO gO"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

callaway92 wrote: »
    Gary Neville commentating on Man United matches

Jamie Carragher commentating on Liverpool matches

‘Mo Salah you dancerrrr’ should never be said by a co-commentator in celebration.

To go one step more. 'Martiallllllllll oooooHHHHHHHH YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!'

Probably never should have been mentioned by the main commentator.

Not a hop off the op here. Just having a go at Tyler and how his mic should be turned off. Ideally Alan Smith turns it off and in the process loses his own voice

The Martial one was different - massive moment for a new popular signing.

People wayyyy over exaggerate Tyler for Man U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Tyler is horrifically bad for Liverpool games tho.

One recent example being the Liverpool 4-0 Barca game, and he barely says a word for the goals.

https://twitter.com/CosmoKh4n/status/1126175580783816707

The Martial one was different - massive moment for a new popular signing.

People wayyyy over exaggerate Tyler for Man U

They dont though.

For 10 years every time he touched the ball the sound was "roooNNNEEEEYYY". Could be followed by "rolls the ball out wide to evra"

Iang87 wrote: »
    They dont though.

For 10 years every time he touched the ball the sound was "roooNNNEEEEYYY". Could be followed by "rolls the ball out wide to evra"

Ah stop for fck sake

Surely one thread...just one, can go without this Man U/Liverpool dick swinging garbage?

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Surely one thread...just one, can go without this Man U/Liverpool dick swinging garbage?

I’m neither - dunno why you’re saying that.

Just saying that this stuff about Tyler is stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Corholio wrote: »

Unfortunately not. They live for the endless bickering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

FitzShane wrote: »
    Tyler is horrifically bad for Liverpool games tho.

One recent example being the Liverpool 4-0 Barca game, and he barely says a word for the goals.

https://twitter.com/CosmoKh4n/status/1126175580783816707

Just watched the video. What are you on about?

I’m neither - dunno why you’re saying that.

Just saying that this stuff about Tyler is stupid

I'll ignore the bickering comment because this isn't the time to take on someone who couldn't wait to make the comment for handy thanks.

Tyler for Liverpool games is awful. Comes across bitter constantly and seems to genuinely dislike them. Recent example is Liverpool v Chelsea. Mount offside in build up and Tyler gave probably 15 minutes whinging about pedantic offsides.

Offside is offside unfortunately. Couple that with Trent's bullet free kick being commentated on like its a 10 yard backward pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

ENIC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Iang87 wrote: »
    Tyler for Liverpool games is awful. Comes across bitter constantly and seems to genuinely dislike them. Recent example is Liverpool v Chelsea. Mount offside in build up and Tyler gave probably 15 minutes whinging about pedantic offsides.

This was actually the same incident that Carragher was allowed babble on about Abraham being offside and invented excuses why correct decision to rule goal regardless of him not being involved out only to find out that it was it was in fact given against Mount. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Footballers thanking their God for letting them score a goal

Gods effecting the outcome of games then.

Fcuk off Gods and let the game be impartial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Miracle Flat Weekend

Sean Dyche constantly whinging about diving when he has Ashley Barnes in his team....and most of his games he sets them up to waste time

On the subject of thanking gods, superstitious players for me.

Does an adult actually believe that hopping on one leg 3 times before entering the pitch will help them win the game?
    Surely you haven't won every game that you've hopped on to the pitch?
    If you haven't, then catch yourself on and grow up.

On the subject of thanking gods, superstitious players for me.

Does an adult actually believe that hopping on one leg 3 times before entering the pitch will help them win the game?
    Surely you haven't won every game that you've hopped on to the pitch?
    If you haven't, then catch yourself on and grow up.

It's nothing to do with that though. It brings the player comfort. The more comfortable a player feels the better it is they'll likely play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The over importance being put on "assists".
    A player could have a poor game but if they lay off a 5 yard pass and their team mate cracks one into the top corner from 30 yards they've made an assist.

Theres a comment over on the Ireland thread about Connolly having gotten an assist because he won a free kick that Gross scored a stunning goal from.
    It's nonsense.

It's an American notion that just doesn't translate to football. Maybe it annoys me because it's part of a bigger issue of stats. There are League 1 clubs spending fortunes on statistics that say X player isn't running enough.
    If a manager/coach can't see that with his own eyes what's the point of having them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement