Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's nothing to do with that though. It brings the player comfort. The more comfortable a player feels the better it is they'll likely play.

So you think players are playing better cos they hop, skip and jump their way to the pitch?

You are as delusional as they are so:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

NIMAN wrote: »
    So you think players are playing better cos they hop, skip and jump their way to the pitch?

You are as delusional as they are so:D

No I'm staying they play better because their mind is at ease. And it's what they feel comfortable doing.

Comfort is a huge thing in all sports. Why do you think some players play short sleeve long sleeve etc? High socks low socks?

It's all comfort. Ones a physical comfort the other is mental.

No I'm staying they play better because their mind is at ease. And it's what they feel comfortable doing.

Comfort is a huge thing in all sports. Why do you think some players play short sleeve long sleeve etc? High socks low socks?

It's all comfort. Ones a physical comfort the other is mental.

So you are saying they will always play better if they hop on to the pitch?
    Or put their jersey on in the tunnel as opposed to the dressing room?

So you are saying they will always play better if they hop on to the pitch?
    Or put their jersey on in the tunnel as opposed to the dressing room?

Where did I ever say that? I'm sure some of it is superstitious of course. But they do that superstition because it makes them feel comfortable. Like anything.

Same way people don't like flying on Friday the 13th! It's a superstition and if they did they'd be far less comfortable with it.

Not sure what's hard to grasp about this.

In #3708 you said "I'm saying they play better because their mind is at ease".

I would dispute this totally. Footballers have bad and good days, its the way it goes.
    Little rituals have no influence on their performances.
    They might think they have. But they'd be wrong.

We'll stop arguing over it now. We are grinding each others gears at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The over importance being put on "assists".
    A player could have a poor game but if they lay off a 5 yard pass and their team mate cracks one into the top corner from 30 yards they've made an assist.

Theres a comment over on the Ireland thread about Connolly having gotten an assist because he won a free kick that Gross scored a stunning goal from.
    It's nonsense.

Yeah, a horribly miss-hit shot that becomes a cross can end up an as an assist. There is no taking into account whether it was meant or not.

And even when it is used correctly, it's a stupid stat anyway.

I would dispute this totally. Footballers have bad and good days, its the way it goes.

We'll stop arguing over it now. We are grinding each others gears at this point.

Yeh sure thing! By that It was more a generalisation like anything if your mind is at ease and focused more likely to play better :)

Leave it there anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is a little shortsighted. If the individual thinks that the ritual is important then it does have an influence, almost by definition. Perception is reality after all.

Doesn't matter what the ritual is, not in the slightest, but if the player is going to be discomforted by not doing it then it had an influence, because discomforted players are more likely to underperform.

Psychology should not be dismissed so easily.

We've moved on, it grinds my gears, let leave it at that.
    After all, a lot of the worlds footballers think a magic man in the sky helps them play better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

They might play bad but they’re still comfortable and their mind is at ease. I’d rather that, than lose and feel uncomfortable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The Xg stat beginning to become one now too. Seems to have become more mainstream this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

osarusan wrote: »
    Yeah, a horribly miss-hit shot that becomes a cross can end up an as an assist. There is no taking into account whether it was meant or not.

And even when it is used correctly, it's a stupid stat anyway.

I quite like it as a stat, I think the issue comes from the fantasy football interpretation of an assist.

In FF you get it if you're the last person to touch the ball prior to the goalscorer. If i'm not mistaken the true stat is when you pass the ball to player X and player X scores with their first touch. I'm open to correction there but I think thats how its supposed to be looked at.

Its like a Key pass stat. Its a good stat to show a players ability to create chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is a little shortsighted. If the individual thinks that the ritual is important then it does have an influence, almost by definition. Perception is reality after all.

Doesn't matter what the ritual is, not in the slightest, but if the player is going to be discomforted by not doing it then it had an influence, because discomforted players are more likely to underperform.

Psychology should not be dismissed so easily.

But it's only an issue in the first place because they've brought themselves down by thinking they need to do it to hit the height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

callaway92 wrote: »
    The Martial one was different - massive moment for a new popular signing.

People wayyyy over exaggerate Tyler for Man U

Theres a video on Youtube somewhere that illustrates his different reaction to two very similar situations- Martial scoring a winning goal on his debut v.Liverpool as the worlds most expensive teenager and Van Dijk scoring a winning goal on his debut v.Everton as the worlds most expensive defender. In the Martial one Tyler goes apesh1t, in the Van Dijk one he quietly announces that Liverpool have scored.
    The over importance being put on "assists".
    A player could have a poor game but if they lay off a 5 yard pass and their team mate cracks one into the top corner from 30 yards they've made an assist.

Assists are a handy stat but not within a single game. When viewed across an entire season it paints a decent picture of who is creating chances that end up in goals. Its also a good bench mark to compare players in similar positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Theres a video on Youtube somewhere that illustrates his different reaction to two very similar situations- Martial scoring a winning goal on his debut v.Liverpool as the worlds most expensive teenager and Van Dijk scoring a winning goal on his debut v.Everton as the worlds most expensive defender. In the Martial one Tyler goes apesh1t, in the Van Dijk one he quietly announces that Liverpool have scored.

Wasn't one of those games a live Super Sunday on Sky, and the other a Friday night FA cup game live on the BBC?

Now I wonder why that might lead to a less muted reaction for one and not the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Isnt every sunday on sky Super Sunday nowadays?

Talk about things that grind.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Muahahaha wrote: »

Sorry, but look at the goals from the weekend.

Nothing for Kane's goal, and if anything you'd have thought he'd have went nuts for that?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Sorry, but look at the goals from the weekend.

Nothing for Kane's goal, and if anything you'd have thought he'd have went nuts for that?

If anything a thing that grinds my gears is Pool fans thinking Tyler is against them. Even if he was, why do you care? Why does the commentator have to same the excitement as you in regards a goal?

The general response to the above is usually that their should be no bias(?) I don't see where that's ever been a thing.

There is also plenty of ways of avoiding said commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

39 man provisional squads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

4.30 Sunday Kick offs.

Obviously no one in the Premier League fixture office cares for NFL Redzone

dan1895 wrote: »
    39 man provisional squads.

And still missing out?
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If anything a thing that grinds my gears is Pool fans thinking Tyler is against them. Even if he was, why do you care? Why does the commentator have to same the excitement as you in regards a goal?

The general response to the above is usually that their should be no bias(?) I don't see where that's ever been a thing.

There is also plenty of ways of avoiding said commentary.

It's simply annoying. Most of us couldn't care less about Tyler but his attitude is odd particularly for sky who hype everything. It's been noticed, we are watching him. He'll just have to learn to live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's simply annoying. Most of us couldn't care less about Tyler but his attitude is odd particularly for sky who hype everything. It's been noticed, we are watching him. He'll just have to learn to live with it.

The problem is once you notice a thing it'll constantly annoy you even if it's nonsense. It's like a mark on the corner your windscreen,it won't affect your driving but it'll keep catching your attention.
    Tyler did the whole Aaaggguueerroooo thing when City popped United to the title but it's never brought up. It's just getting caught up in the moment.
    Anyone getting outraged and annoyed by a bit of passion in commentary needs to look at themselves.
    Jim Begin annoys me, it's just his accent and style of biased comments that I don't like but thankfully I have the option to switch to another channel to see a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

but that's the thing if we had an Aguero moment Tyler would probably say "Ah **** they've scored" Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.
    I do agree it's becoming a self fulfilling prophecy but I'm comfortable now in may anti-Tyler bias

Iang87 wrote: »
    4.30 Sunday Kick offs.

Obviously no one in the Premier League fixture office cares for NFL Redzone

5.30 Saturdays are worse,in the middle of watching a game and then supper has to be prepared/got.
    It's just an awkward time.

• Advertisement

5.30 Saturdays are worse,in the middle of watching a game and then supper has to be prepared/got.
    It's just an awkward time.

That's my favourite time! 5:30 KO for a few pints and then hang around afterwards hopefully catch some La Liga. Home early enough

But can see your point and get why it's annoying for some. Different times always gonna suit different folk and occassions.

That's my favourite time! 5:30 KO for a few pints and then hang around afterwards hopefully catch some La Liga. Home early enough

But can see your point and get why it's annoying for some. Different times always gonna suit different folk and occassions.

It's grand for the few pints but awkward at home with kids wanting food and disapproving looks and comments from the missus.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tyler just sounds every bit his age, desperately needs to be replaced. I've been watching alot of the championship last while and the commentary is far more enthusiastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Collymore closing in!!!!!!!!!

He got excited then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I can't believe that Tyler is still Skys No1 commentator. He's a disaster and should have been replaced long ago.

Rob Palmer shoud be the main man on sky as his commentary is superior to Tylers.

Compare Tyler to Peter Drury and the difference is night and day. Tyler sounds half asleep during his commentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I can't believe that Tyler is still Skys No1 commentator. He's a disaster and should have been replaced long ago.

Rob Palmer shoud be the main man on sky as his commentary is superior to Tylers.

Compare Tyler to Peter Drury and the difference is night and day. Tyler sounds half asleep during his commentary.

I like Drury to an extent, but he has become a searcher for soundbites now.

Someone said above about Rob Palmer - He is very good

EDIT: I see Drury is gone to SuperSport anyway in Africa, so he won't be doing any Sky commentary.

I liked the days when commentators didnt feel the need to talk for 90 mins and kept their mouth shut when it was obvious for everyone what was going on.
    Nowadays you have radiocommentators doing the tv commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I much prefer watching a match with a single commentator. They generally talk about the match and don't try and spin some narrative around the game. It happens a bit on Premier Sports for Italian games. So much nicer watching a game without getting annoyed at the commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

inforfun wrote: »
    I liked the days when commentators didnt feel the need to talk for 90 mins and kept their mouth shut when it was obvious for everyone what was going on.
    Nowadays you have radiocommentators doing the tv commentary.

I was in Portugal during the last world cup and found a channel showing the matches without commentary. It was surprisingly enjoyable that way.

Had that 2 years ago with Feyenoord in the Chamions League groupstage. German Sky has all the matches but only commentary when Germans were playing.

The whole ref and VAR debate.

The micro analysis of football and offside armpits. Days spent discussing decisions and refs and which refs are appointed and how long the VAR decision took.

The whole ref and VAR debate.

The micro analysis of football and offside armpits. Days spent discussing decisions and refs and which refs are appointed and how long the VAR decision took.

Refs were long debated and decisions by them also have been long discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

McGaggs wrote: »
    I was in Portugal during the last world cup and found a channel showing the matches without commentary. It was surprisingly enjoyable that way.

I don't understand how that isn't a thing already. An option, when available, to just listen to the sounds of the game and the stadium would be fantastic.

Refs were long debated and decisions by them also have been long discussed.

Ah not remotely in the same way. Very few if any refs were well known in the 70s and 80s, when leagues were decided on decisions like the WBA offside goal v Leeds. Jack Taylor was about the only "celebrity ref" I can remember. Their decisions were discussed alright, but not nearly with the same level of hand wringing and analysis about the individuals blowing the whistle.

Ah not remotely in the same way. Very few if any refs were well known in the 70s and 80s, when leagues were decided on decisions like the WBA offside goal v Leeds. Jack Taylor was about the only "celebrity ref" I can remember. Their decisions were discussed alright, but not nearly with the same level of hand wringing and analysis about the individuals blowing the whistle.

You mean in the 70s and 80s when social media didn't exist it wasn't discussed as much?

Social media changed the game so the comparison is completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't understand how that isn't a thing already. An option, when available, to just listen to the sounds of the game and the stadium would be fantastic.

BBC did that a lot of years ago it was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I love the commentaries, even the sh!t ones. Even when the co-commentator is a pr!ck. Sometimes the inane "banter" between the commentator and co-commentators makes me cringe, but I'd still rather have that than just the noise of the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Arghus wrote: »

BBC have been doing that at the past few World Cups via red button. Games with TV com, radio com and no com

People who have zero interest in the club game here, or worse take the pi55 out of it, and are fixated on the English Premier League...but have very strong opinions on the national team when a big game comes up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

People who have zero interest in the club game here, or worse take the pi55 out of it, and are fixated on the English Premier League...but have very strong opinions on the national team when a big game comes up...

When you say club game here though you are referring to the LOI, where I'm from me local club isn't professional and not one LOI club in my county it's an hour to the nearest one.

When I was growing up there was no awareness in my area that the country even had a pro league and I figure that's pretty common to this day, like a lot of things I think if you can't instill belief in the league to young generations, that battle is pretty much over.

I find it hard to digest people belittling any level of football myself, it's sometimes as if the exact same game doesn't have the ability to be as enjoyable outside the top tier in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

When you say club game here though you are referring to the LOI, where I'm from me local club isn't professional and not one LOI club in my county it's an hour to the nearest one.

Yeah but theres a lot of irony in saying that theres no team close to me to support, so they end up supporting a team in a different country. Illogical doesn't even come close to describing it.

Second point about no awareness is true though, and its something that needs to change from the FAIs/clubs side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting your national team and having strong opinions on them regardless of what club team or league you watch.

What really grind my gears is the people who support UK teams here and complain about the international break.

And they do exist.

I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting your national team and having strong opinions on them regardless of what club team or league you watch.

What really grind my gears is the people who support UK teams here and complain about the international break.

And they do exist.

What's wrong with complaining about the international break? The football tends to be dogsh1t and their is far less of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What's wrong with complaining about the international break? The footballt ends to be dogsh1t and their is far less of it.

I just can't grasp how someone would have a greater interest in some club team in a different country over their own national team.

I don't support a British club, I tried when I was younger but it doesn't would not "stick".

I don't support a LOI club because it was not prevalent where I grew up and is not prevalent where I live now.

But I love support Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I just can't grasp how someone would have a greater interest in some club team in a different country over their own national team.

I don't support a British club, I tried when I was younger but it doesn't would not "stick".

I don't support a LOI club because it was not prevalent where I grew up and is not prevalent where I live now.

But I love support Ireland.

It's a fair argument and I agree to an extent but I support Spurs for about 40-45 weeks of the year. Ireland only play a handful of times. I guess I'm more invested in the Spurs players because I watch so much of them and they take me on a rollercoaster ride most weeks (mainly down at the moment).

That said, I am heavily invested in Ireland when they play.

Advertisement