Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yes, the manager doesn't have to pick the player but if requested by the country then make them self's present .

With all this patriotism running through you what was your time like in the army?

It's 100% acceptable for seasoned pros not to want to play in a Mickey mouse game against the likes of Gibraltar etc where the risk of injury is greater than the risk reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

With all this patriotism running through you what was your time like in the army?

It's 100% acceptable for seasoned pros not to want to play in a Mickey mouse game against the likes of Gibraltar etc where the risk of injury is greater than the risk reward.

It's nothing to do with me and the army !

I meant in the sense they are their own people and not owned by anyone, least of all the country who isn't even their employer. The decision on whether to play international games should rest with the player (assuming the international manager wants to pick them)

But they sign up for these obligations.

The clubs are subject to UEFA and FIFA rules, and so the players assume the obligations that go with it, media appearances, international duty etc. A singer who signs with a label may find that that involves touring obligations because of an arrangement with another company, they can't say "I'd like to stay in my bedroom and write songs". Players and clubs enter these arrangements and get the huge benefits that go with being a member of UEFA and FIFA, entry into national and international competitions to access lucrative sponsorship. They can't cherry pick and renege on the obligations they take on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It kind of brings to mind Sepp Blatter's cries of dismay when Utd were treating Ronaldo as a slave. FIFA is a minefield of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

" your Bayern Munichs , your Barcelonas , your Shearers, your Salahs........."

Theres only one of each and you're naming them all anyway, no need to pluralise at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Sheffield Utd been called “sheffield” by fans.

Someone possibly giles used to do in the 90/00’s with man united referring to them as “manchester”....as a city fan this wound me up no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Martin Tyler's "And it's live" before every game.

Quite like Tyler but I find it annoying and cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

POKERKING wrote: »
    Sheffield Utd been called “sheffield” by fans.

Someone possibly giles used to do in the 90/00’s with man united referring to them as “manchester”....as a city fan this wound me up no end.

Manchester United are known all around the World as Manchester, always have been.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Manchester United are known all around the World as Manchester, always have been.

Hands up, I've never heard anyone say they support "Manchester". Ever. I've heard every other variant, just "United" being the most popular, "Man U" (for some reason that seems to annoy some Man U fans), "Man United"...but never just "Manchester".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Hands up, I've never heard anyone say they support "Manchester". Ever. I've heard every other variant, just "United" being the most popular, "Man U" (for some reason that seems to annoy some Man U fans), "Man United"...but never just "Manchester".

I should have said outside of UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Players (after being fouled) that fall to the ground and grab the football.

Should be a drop ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

When there is an appeal for handball by the away fans and then every touch after is greeted with a "Handball" by home fans. Wrecks my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

niallo27 wrote: »
    When there is an appeal for handball by the away fans and then every touch after is greeted with a "Handball" by home fans. Wrecks my head.

I think that’s actually kinda funny, especially when there in-person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Players (after being fouled) that fall to the ground and grab the football.

Should be a drop ball.

Should either be a free for them (it was a free kick and doesn't matter what they do after it) or a free against them for handball. Unfortunately it often seems refs see a player pick it up and give a free before thinking if it was a foul or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

"Calendar year" stats which are only mentioned in December and never discussed again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

The opinion, often proposed by fans of certain countries, that 'their best athletes play other sports' and the ensuing assumption that these athletes could have become top (top) footballers; as though an ability to slamdunk, throw curveballs, ski, catch line-outs and/or throw fifty yards etc. would automatically translate to excellence in a completely different sport.

Sure, the common link of hand/foot-eye co-ordination means some athletic people are good at multiple sports, and there are some uber-athletes who have difficult career choices to make, but by and large it is a fallacy that, for example, Lebron James or Adrian Petersen, would have become football players if they had been pushed in that direction in the optimal environment.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    The opinion, often proposed by fans of certain countries, that 'their best athletes play other sports' and the ensuing assumption that these athletes could have become top (top) footballers; as though an ability to slamdunk, throw curveballs, ski, catch line-outs and/or throw fifty yards etc. would automatically translate to excellence in a completely different sport.

Sure, the common link of hand/foot-eye co-ordination means some athletic people are good at multiple sports, and there are some uber-athletes who have difficult career choices to make, but by and large it is a fallacy that, for example, Lebron James or Adrian Petersen, would have become football players if they had been pushed in that direction in the optimal environment.

Those players might not have become top level footballers, but with the majority of kids playing Basketball, Baseball, American Football etc, the number playing football is severely reduced. So from that severely reduced pool, youre going to have a severely reduced chances of getting professional quality footballers.

Those players might not have become top level footballers, but with the majority of kids playing Basketball, Baseball, American Football etc, the number playing football is severely reduced. So from that severely reduced pool, youre going to have a severely reduced chances of getting professional quality footballers.

I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Funnily enough, the best skier in my class in school, who everyone assumed he was going to be skiing in the world cup one day, ended up becoming a professional footballer instead. Having said that, he was the best footballer in school as well!

Some people are just incredibly gifted, and the athleticism and things like balance do translate into more than one sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Funnily enough, the best skier in my class in school, who everyone assumed he was going to be skiing in the world cup one day, ended up becoming a professional footballer instead. Having said that, he was the best footballer in school as well!

Some people are just incredibly gifted, and the athleticism and things like balance do translate into more than one sport.

Some ****er i went to school with played at the highest level in the Feyenoord youth, was Dutch champion 400m at u17 level or something, and "county" champion tennis.
    More than decent at basketball as well.
    One of those guys that sees some trickery from a pro player on tv, gets his ball, goes outside and 15 minutes later he has made the trick his own.

PE was a blast. If he was on your team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

inforfun wrote: »
    Some ****er i went to school with played at the highest level in the Feyenoord youth, was Dutch champion 400m at u17 level or something, and "county" champion tennis.
    More than decent at basketball as well.
    One of those guys that sees some trickery from a pro player on tv, gets his ball, goes outside and 15 minutes later he has made the trick his own.

PE was a blast. If he was on your team.

You're Dutch? You never mention it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Theres only one of each and you're naming them all anyway, no need to pluralise at all.

Annoying when anyone says it but if it's Mark Lawrenson then it's excruciating.

You're Dutch? You never mention it.....

Yes, i am
    Does it
    bother you?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Time keeping by referees, more so around events that happen during the time added on. The Ireland v Denmark game for example. Schmeichel was booked for time wasting yet the referee blow up exactly on 94 minutes. It doesn't make sense. Last night in the Liverpool game there was a little scuffle that lasted 1 minute and 10 seconds, the referee went 25 seconds over the 4 minutes added on.

I know the likelihood of scoring in the extra minute or so that should have been given is very low but it's definitely something that grinds my gears, it just seems so basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Nokotan wrote: »
    Time keeping by referees, more so around events that happen during the time added on. The Ireland v Denmark game for example. Schmeichel was booked for time wasting yet the referee blow up exactly on 94 minutes. It doesn't make sense. Last night in the Liverpool game there was a little scuffle that lasted 1 minute at 10 seconds, the referee went 25 seconds over the 4 minutes added on.

I know the likelihood of scoring in the extra minute or so that should have been given is very low but it's definitely something that grinds my gears, it just seems so basic.

I agree, and especially ones that don't keep to the "minimum of x minutes", blowing it up early even though there's been timewasting or something is very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Yes, i am
    Does it
    bother you?

No why would it bother me? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Just on this: the idea of "generalists" in sport is actually evidenced based. David Epstein found that athletes who excelled in highly popular sports (NFL in America, Aussie Rules in Australia) were able to transition fairly seamlessly into non-popular sports due to the sheer work and conditioning it took to play at a high level. Australia actually based their Winter Olympics recruitment on this idea and broke a load of their existing records:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/making-winter-sports-olympic-champions-out-of-australian-beach-babes-excerpt/

His books"Range" and "The sports Gene" are definitely worth a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Just on this: the idea of "generalists" in sport is actually evidenced based. David Epstein found that athletes who excelled in highly popular sports (NFL in America, Aussie Rules in Australia) were able to transition fairly seamlessly into non-popular sports due to the sheer work and conditioning it took to play at a high level. Australia actually based their Winter Olympics recruitment on this idea and broke a load of their existing records:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/making-winter-sports-olympic-champions-out-of-australian-beach-babes-excerpt/

His books"Range" and "The sports Gene" are definitely worth a read.

Shane Long is the best Tipperary never to play Senior hurling and is the only player ever to play hurling and international football in Croke Park. He was literally a beast and was just a naturally gifted athlete with people commenting on his athleticism and muscles when he was just 15. Apparently, he was also class at badminton.

https://punditarena.com/gaa/thepateam/major-switches-how-shane-longs-minor-hurling-past-paved-the-way-for-premier-league-success/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I have heard this loads of times but usually in countries that don't speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

People who complain about football players who spit during a match and/or about those who wear gloves with short sleeves.

Both have pretty simple biological explanations about why they happen but some would rather show how 'tough' they are to not wear gloves or how prim and proper they are to not spit. There's plenty of legitimate criticisms towards modern footballers but I always find these particularly bizarre.

• Advertisement

Yes, i am
    Does it
    bother you?

There are only two things I cant stand in this world, people who are intolerant of other peoples cultures.....................and the Dutch.

I would also think that level of physical condition in top level sports compared to 30+ years ago would mean someone at the top of one sport would have a big edge over an amateur in a different sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I read that in a Liam Brady voice as he is particularly guilty of it.

Not a gear grinder for me or anything but the Bayern Munich ultras behind the goal waving their giant flags for the entire 90 minutes. Must be very annoying to be trying to watch a game of football and your view is blocked constantly by flags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Corholio wrote: »
    People who complain about football players who spit during a match and/or about those who wear gloves with short sleeves.

Both have pretty simple biological explanations about why they happen but some would rather show how 'tough' they are to not wear gloves or how prim and proper they are to not spit. There's plenty of legitimate criticisms towards modern footballers but I always find these particularly bizarre.

I'm with you with the gloves. Why wouldn't you want to be as warm and comfortable as possible? It can only help your performance.

The spitting one is dead wrong though. There is absolutely no need for a footballer to spit. Ever. Plenty of players go their entire careers without spitting so that puts the idea that it's necessary to bed.

Exercise can create more saliva however the vast majority of people, amateur or professional just swallow it without a second thought and don't make a show of slobbering all over the place. It's psychological and not physiological.

There are dozens of physically demanding sports where it never happens. Outside of football and rugby, it's rarely seen.

This is not a prim vs not debate. There is no benefit to gollying all over the pitch....it's just seen as masculine by knuckle draggers.

So yeah......you could say idiots spitting all over the place grind my gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm with you with the gloves. Why wouldn't you want to be as warm and comfortable as possible? It can only help your performance.

The spitting one is dead wrong though. There is absolutely no need for a footballer to spit. Ever. Plenty of players go their entire careers without spitting so that puts the idea that it's necessary to bed.

Exercise can create more saliva however the vast majority of people, amateur or professional just swallow it without a second thought and don't make a show of slobbering all over the place. It's psychological and not physiological.

There are dozens of physically demanding sports where it never happens. Outside of football and rugby, it's rarely seen.

This is not a prim vs not debate. There is no benefit to gollying all over the pitch....it's just seen as masculine by knuckle draggers.

So yeah......you could say idiots spitting all over the place grind my gears.

It's much easier to spit it out onto a grass pitch that is being trodden on etc anyway. There's no can, exercise does create more saliva and the saliva is much thicker, which doesn't make it easy to swallow.

It's a normal physiological reaction to do it, I don't agree in the slightest that it's psychological. It's ridiculous to lump this spitting in with the very obvious disgusting act of doing it in a confrontational way etc. It's a physiological reaction to clear your mouth to accrue a degree of comfort physically from doing it. The two acts are entirely different.

Referees not enforcing the six second rule for keepers. Really boiling me piss lately.

Referees not enforcing the six second rule for keepers. Really boiling me piss lately.

Cant think of any other rule that so ignored by refs as that one.
    The six seconds are to be counted only after the goalkeeper is fully in control of the ball. That is after he/she gathers themselves, gets up and begins to look for a teammate to play it to

Explains a lot. Way too open for interpratation and not a ref that is going to burn his fingers on that.
    Refs might be ok with it so they can take a breather as well getting back in position.

A clip on this page where Mignolet gets punished after... 20 seconds holding the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

6 wrote: »
    People who winge about people not supporting their local team.

The French have a name for people who dont support their local team Footix.

https://french-iceberg.com/footix-france/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

@inforfun
    What ever became of that lad in your class?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    @inforfun
    What ever became of that lad in your class?

1x Dutch champion men 400m

Last thing i heard he was a tennis trainer in Spain. But that was a long time ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Referees not booking players when they dive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Time wasting by GKs on goal kicks.
    Give an indirect free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

razorblunt wrote: »
    Time wasting by GKs on goal kicks.
    Give an indirect free kick.

Thats a Yellow card offence not a free kick. Its in the rules of the game. Have often seen players booked for this at LOI games.

Funnily enough, the best skier in my class in school, who everyone assumed he was going to be skiing in the world cup one day, ended up becoming a professional footballer instead..
    Who was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One thing that gets to me is refs ignoring time-wasting while it's happening, and thinking it's ok just to add on 4/5 minutes at the end and issue cards late on, but the momentum the attacking team had has been lost by then, and/or the defending team has sorted itself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Time wasting is just part of the game, as much as I despise it.

There’s a couple of things in particular that grind me gears.

Firstly, Say it’s 0-0 after 40 minutes between Burnley/Palace against City/Liverpool then the former will try and kill the end of the first half. Taking ages for thrown ins, frees, goal kicks etc. This happens after 85 minutes and then it’s a big issue all of a sudden.

Secondly, I think that time wasters should be given yellow cards retrospectively. Eg. A goalie takes 30/40 seconds for a kick out. The ref, if bothered will blow the whistle, keeper then protests, ref comes down to give him a card and the whole thing takes a 90 seconds or thereabouts before the play is restarted. This will never be added on. If a player is time wasting on their own dead ball then they should lose possession

Whilst I don’t agree with the idea of playing shorter matches with the clock stopped for dead balls I would be in favour of something like stopping the clock after 40 mins in each half. It will never happen but I think it would help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thats a Yellow card offence not a free kick. Its in the rules of the game. Have often seen players booked for this at LOI games.

I know they get booked, I think it should just be a booking and an indirect free kick.
    Particularly when the goalie starts that shíte with 30 mins left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Who was that?

Nobody you would ever have heard of.
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/martin-immler/profil/spieler/347970

A goalie in the Austrian Bundesliga and the third tier in Germany, and quite a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Cant think of any other rule that so ignored by refs as that one.

Disagree there. I can't remember the last time I saw a foul throw being punished even though you rarely see a proper, by the rules, throw in being taken outside of a schoolboys match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Time wasting is just part of the game, as much as I despise it.

There’s a couple of things in particular that grind me gears.

Firstly, Say it’s 0-0 after 40 minutes between Burnley/Palace against City/Liverpool then the former will try and kill the end of the first half. Taking ages for thrown ins, frees, goal kicks etc. This happens after 85 minutes and then it’s a big issue all of a sudden.

Secondly, I think that time wasters should be given yellow cards retrospectively. Eg. A goalie takes 30/40 seconds for a kick out. The ref, if bothered will blow the whistle, keeper then protests, ref comes down to give him a card and the whole thing takes a 90 seconds or thereabouts before the play is restarted. This will never be added on. If a player is time wasting on their own dead ball then they should lose possession

Whilst I don’t agree with the idea of playing shorter matches with the clock stopped for dead balls I would be in favour of something like stopping the clock after 40 mins in each half. It will never happen but I think it would help

not sure of the official policy on this one...there was a game recently where the keeper was booked for time wasting in extra time, and the ref blew the final whistle immediately after the ~4 mins of extra time was up. made the yellow card entirely redundant (or at least 99.99999% redundant).

• Advertisement
Advertisement