Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Moving matches for TV

I just looked at the schedule.

We have 7pm on a Sunday, 6 on a weekday,2pm on a Saturday.

There are all over the place.

What ever happened to 3pm on a Saturday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Moving matches for TV

I just looked at the schedule.

We have 7pm on a Sunday, 6 on a weekday,2pm on a Saturday.

There are all over the place.

What ever happened to 3pm on a Saturday :)

Just to check, because you never know these days, this is satire, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just to check, because you never know these days, this is satire, yes?
    Yes
    But I'm sure someone would find something to complain about in the restart schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Yes
    But I'm sure someone would find something to complain about in the restart schedule.

Very respected journalist Philipe Auclair complained about it on Guardian Football Weekly a couple of weeks ago.

Miserable so and so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I wonder how many closet racists are silently cursing when they bend the knee :D

I assume no player would have the balls to refuse.

(Possibly wrong thread as it doesn't grind my gears, I really enjoy the thought that racists have to wear Black Lives Matters on their jerseys, while bending the knee.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,008 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder how many closet racists are silently cursing when they bend the knee :D

I assume no player would have the balls to refuse.

(Possibly wrong thread as it doesn't grind my gears, I really enjoy the thought that racists have to wear Black Lives Matters on their jerseys, while bending the knee.)

Mane didn't take a knee yesterday at the derby game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mane didn't take a knee yesterday at the derby game.
    He did I thought. He wasn't ready for the whistle to blow and was a few yards inside the Everton half when it blew, so ran back to his own half and then got down on one knee about 3 seconds later than the rest. That is what I thought I saw anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

osarusan wrote: »
    He did I thought. He wasn't ready for the whistle to blow and was a few yards inside the Everton half when it blew, so ran back to his own half and then got down on one knee about 3 seconds later than the rest. That is what I thought I saw anyway.

No, when the players went to take a knee he sprinted into the Everton half, cause he thought the game had kicked off.

He then ran back and took a knee.

It was funny, and not intentionally disrespectful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

we've had our fair share of forgetful moments against Everton alright, like when Origi pulled the ball out of the net & ran back to the halfway line as if we needed another after his last minute winner :D

https://twitter.com/samueilfc/status/1274766204406763525?s=12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The fake crowd noise. As strange as it can sometimes be, I'd rather hear the actual sounds of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Arghus wrote: »
    The fake crowd noise. As strange as it can sometimes be, I'd rather hear the actual sounds of the game
    Yeah, and they've gotten it wrong a couple of times - pressed the 'goal' button when it was actually saved, so there is a roar that is suddenly muted completely, and there have been delays resulting in the sound arriving a couple of seconds late.

Still not sure I'd prefer the eerie silence though.

"Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea fan here but I'd like to congratulate Liverpool on their great win". Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Liverpool fans :)

Nothing at the moment, it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

One thing has got to me. On SS news when the inevitable " they took the knee" pregame section airs , they show black players taking the knee. No sign of their white team mates taking the knee with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

BTs coverage of the game last night, could probably have kept the liverpool coverage until after the final whistle at least.

And Dalgleish not using Silent :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

cj maxx wrote: »
    One thing has got to me. On SS news when the inevitable " they took the knee" pregame section airs , they show black players taking the knee. No sign of their white team mates taking the knee with them

IS that racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭KH25

I’m sure it’s been said before, but the new hand ball rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

KH25 wrote: »
    I’m sure it’s been said before, but the new hand ball rule.

Why?

764dak wrote: »
    Why?

Too black and white. Not every instance of the ball hitting a hand is intentional or looking to gain an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Graham Potter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

after goal music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Too black and white. Not every instance of the ball hitting a hand is intentional or looking to gain an advantage.
    Yes but by having it black and white you should cut down on delays in the game.

If you know its a foul when it hits your hand, you can't complain if a free is given, just accept it. If you know there's a grey area, people are going to try get away with it by protesting and time-wasting and screaming 'ball to hand'. Personally, it drives me nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I think that's why they (refs) want. No 'judgement call' to make, it hits the hand or not. Think it is to reduce the moans from managers when a ref does make a decision that they don't agree with. Interesting to see if they tweak it next season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Yes but by having it black and white you should cut down on delays in the game.

If you know its a foul when it hits your hand, you can't complain if a free is given, just accept it. If you know there's a grey area, people are going to try get away with it by protesting and time-wasting and screaming 'ball to hand'. Personally, it drives me nuts.

I think what everyone wants is that deliberate or obvious handballs get punished. That requires an element of discretion for the officials. But the only way to have the rule that doesn't result in managers, players, fans and pundits slamming officials is if you have a black and white rule.

The two are mutually exclusive and the second one is the only way that you can say "well that's the rule, we all know it so there is no argument".

Kane's goal being disallowed the other night was madness because it's completely against the spirit of the game and it leaves a very sour taste in the mouth. No one argues if it's allowed but by the letter of the law, it was handball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

If the rule wasn't black-and-white then teams and fans would complain about bias and pundits would complain that they want consistency from refs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

764dak wrote: »
    If the rule wasn't black-and-white then teams and fans would complain about bias and pundits would complain that they want consistency from refs.

And so they complain about the rule being stupid instead. Either way, everyone still has a good moan.

It's a f*cking stupid rule.

And so they complain about the rule being stupid instead. Either way, everyone still has a good moan.

It's a f*cking stupid rule.
    From their (officials) point of view, it's a consistent rule. It does seem unfair though; but putting it back to the 'judgement' of the refs will result in 'wrong/unfair' stuff as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Once a ref has to start judging intent as they used to have to do, the bias/incorrect call/human nature element comes into play and with VAr the way it is, if a ref makes a decision and it is not clearly/obviously incorrect, VAR will not often overrule.

I think that's why they (refs) want. No 'judgement call' to make, it hits the hand or not. Think it is to reduce the moans from managers when a ref does make a decision that they don't agree with. Interesting to see if they tweak it next season though.

Quite possibly, but it’s unfair to see goals like Kane’s disallowed when there was no intent to play the ball with the hand. It’s just how people fall. But in fairness there’ll always be a complaint. It’s something that probably can’t be perfectly covered by the wording of a rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

if a player is injured, leave to to the ref to stop the game. play on. if you do choose to kick it out of play, the opposition shouldnt give you the ball back. drives me mad!

exception, if the player down has to go off injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

if a player is injured, leave to to the ref to stop the game. play on. if you do choose to kick it out of play, the opposition shouldnt give you the ball back. drives me mad!

exception, if the player down has to go off injured.

That's already the current rule. Play is only supposed to be stopped if its head injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

.G. wrote: »
    That's already the current rule. Play is only supposed to be stopped if its head injury.
    Southampton kicked the ball out 3 times for non-head injuries. Ref let them off each time, and Jack Grealish was downs loads earlier on, either genuinely injured or looking for his "shin" pads.

jacool wrote: »
    Southampton kicked the ball out 3 times for non-head injuries. Ref let them off each time, and Jack Grealish was downs loads earlier on, either genuinely injured or looking for his "shin" pads.

https://twitter.com/ScottEaglen/status/1279822541419425792?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Martin Tyler

End thread

rob316 wrote: »
    Martin Tyler

End thread

Jamie Carragher deserves a pay rise for that reason alone if he's not already got one.

It's frustrating enough as a Liverpool fan listening to him from watching at home nevermind being sat beside him, especially given that Carragher is impartial at the best of times when commentating on Liverpool games.

How the man get away with barely reacting for the likes of Salah's goal V Chelsea yet with windmill his flute when Martial wins a throw in is beyond me.

Also this nonsense of it no way being a penalty if the likes of Salah goes down in the box, it's a dive, the player has gone down too easily, etc... yet if it's the likes of Kane it's a stonewall peno all day long no matter what, it was clever of the forward, etc... it's absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Jamie Carragher deserves a pay rise for that reason alone if he's not already got one.

It's frustrating enough as a Liverpool fan listening to him from watching at home nevermind being sat beside him, especially given that Carragher is impartial at the best of times when commentating on Liverpool games.

How the man get away with barely reacting for the likes of Salah's goal V Chelsea yet with windmill his flute when Martial wins a throw in is beyond me.

Also this nonsense of it no way being a penalty if the likes of Salah goes down in the box, it's a dive, the player has gone down too easily, etc... yet if it's the likes of Kane it's a stonewall peno all day long no matter what, it was clever of the forward, etc... it's absolutely disgusting.

Even the bias aside, he's absolutely boring to listen to. Sounds likes he's dying behind the mic, Sky desperately need to move him on. I don't know the name of the lads who do the championship commentating but its night and day.

rob316 wrote: »
    Even the bias aside, he's absolutely boring to listen to. Sounds likes he's dying behind the mic, Sky desperately need to move him on. I don't know the name of the lads who do the championship commentating but its night and day.

true, I appreciate that yesterday's game was boring, I also had crowd noise off out of curiosity & to change it up a bit from how I'd usually watch it, but listening to Tyler & just the tone or his voice was the most boring aspect of it all, I could have it was snooker that was on tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Tyler is 74 now, I don't think he has the same energy levels he had in the past.

At the start of lockdown, I watched the replay of the full Liverpool Newcastle 4-3 game (first one) and I was struck by how different he sounded then, full of energy and intensity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

steve_r wrote: »
    Tyler is 74 now, I don't think he has the same energy levels he had in the past.

At the start of lockdown, I watched the replay of the full Liverpool Newcastle 4-3 game (first one) and I was struck by how different he sounded then, full of energy and intensity.

That was 25yrs ago!!

You should have seen the energy I had 25yrs ago too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Liverpool fans that slag off Emile Heskey. He was absolutely brilliant for us until Houllier started playing him as winger

Tyler, Carragher & Neville's 3 way banter is soul destroying to listen too.

Tyler shouting "and it's live!" (we know Martin) and then proceeding to sleep his way through the rest of the game.

Tyler shouting "and it's live!" (we know Martin) and then proceeding to sleep his way through the rest of the game.

This a thousand times. The ‘and it’s live’ crap is so grating.

I despise the 'It's Live!' but there would be uproar is he stopped doing it from a lot of people that, for some reason, still like Tyler. He'd have to give a reason for dropping it and there would genuinely be a bit of a circus around it which is crazy considering it's an awful catchphrase. I do wonder if he even likes it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nokotan wrote: »
    I despise the 'It's Live!' but there would be uproar is he stopped doing it from a lot of people that, for some reason, still like Tyler. He'd have to give a reason for dropping it and there would genuinely be a bit of a circus around it which is crazy considering it's an awful catchphrase. I do wonder if he even likes it anymore.

I'd say most people wouldnt notice. Everyone knows its live, it's why we've paid for the subscription for it and are watching the build up to the match. It being live isnt an additional selling point! I've only noticed the emphasis last 2 seasons, christ its annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Drinks Breaks being used as a Team Talk. I don't mind the drinks breaks on hot days but they should be taken to the opposite side of the pitch away from the benches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Mushy wrote: »
    Everyone knows its live
    . . . . . and its not actually live, but delayed by 20 seconds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A minor grind on TV companies- during a match and after a goal they show the scoreline on the bottom of the screen but they only show the most recent scorer. So if you tune in late you dont know who scored the other goals and have to go look it up online. They used to always show all scorers but for no sensible reason stopped doing so a few years back.

Listening to Tyler & Carragher tonight I actually think they might really dislike each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement