Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

It's Tyler's awful puns that make me cringe and I love puns and play on words.

"Graham Potter would need to be Harry Potter to get anything out of this game now"

I wouldn't mind if it was someone who is genuinely mad like Ray Hudson saying things like that, everyone knows he's a loon but Tyler includes it in serious commentary.

"It was a bad pick for Pickford that nearly lead to a goal there".

I 100% over think and over react to things like this but I really don't enjoy his commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Cooling breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Listening to Tyler & Carragher tonight I actually think they might really dislike each other.

Tyler is dreadful and should not be working anymore. He has had a good run of it but should retire.
    “And it’s live “ before matches are pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Tyler is dreadful and should not be working anymore. He has had a good run of it but should retire.
    “And it’s live “ before matches are pathetic.

he was full of life watching Sheffield beat Chelsea, I wonder why :D Listen to the state of that at 02:06.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

764dak wrote: »
    Cooling breaks

Yeah they break up the play. I'll live with them for now but just hoping they dont become permanent, the TV companies have wanted quarter time for years so they can show more ads. For them 45 minutes of broadcasting without a single ad is horrific, they could make millions extra a season if they became permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

DVDM93 wrote: »
    he was full of life watching Sheffield beat Chelsea, I wonder why :D Listen to the state of that at 02:06.

Shocked he got 2 goals in a game?

Cooling breaks

I heard that each player needs to drink from their own bottle which means the casual sip during play isn't as easy. Never thought of it that way.

But yes, it's annoying but will probably/hopefully be gone next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Nokotan wrote: »
    I heard that each player needs to drink from their own bottle which means the casual sip during play isn't as easy. Never thought of it that way.

Now that makes sense! Annoying and somehow it feels American (don't ask me why!) but at least I can accept it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Adebayo Akinfewa.

I'd say he's disgusted he missed Soccer AM's peak by about 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

razorblunt wrote: »
    Adebayo Akinfewa.

I'd say he's disgusted he missed Soccer AM's peak by about 15 years.

Whatever about Lingard and other footballers with reputations for annoying social media habits, at least they are playing at the top level.

This shaper is literally only known for being a big unit.

Pain in the hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Frank Lampard having to come out and express regret for the language he used the other night. Seriously? WTF do people think happens in dressing rooms or training. It was pretty much a nothing incident that happens all the time and is bound to happen when tensions are high in a game like football and it gets blown up and examined in microscopic detail.

**** happens. Move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Frank Lampard having to come out and express regret for the language he used the other night. Seriously? WTF do people think happens in dressing rooms or training. It was pretty much a nothing incident that happens all the time and is bound to happen when tensions are high in a game like football and it gets blown up and examined in microscopic detail.

**** happens. Move on.

Sky Sports. They need to fill air time, and that crock of sh1te talksport too.

For what it's worth, I like Lampard (a bit!), even as a rival. Think he got caught up in the heat of the moment which is understandable but there's a microscope been placed on him big time since it happened. He didn't come out the best in the incident though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Fitz* wrote: »
    Sky Sports. They need to fill air time, and that crock of sh1te talksport too.

For what it's worth, I like Lampard (a bit!), even as a rival. Think he got caught up in the heat of the moment which is understandable but there's a microscope been placed on him big time since it happened. He didn't come out the best in the incident though!

I like him a lot too even though I can't stand Chelsea. I think he's a class act and very intelligent. He may not have helped himself afterwards by even talking about it but why it's even an incident worthy of discussion or an apology absolutely bewilders me. I hear much worse when I'm playing 5 a side on a Monday and we're not exactly playing under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I dislike when fans of English lower league clubs and certain Scottish clubs say their clubs are bigger than clubs in La Liga, Serie A, Premier League etc. because their clubs won stuff 40-60 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I dislike when fans of English lower league clubs and certain Scottish clubs say their clubs are bigger than clubs in La Liga, Serie A, Premier League etc. because their clubs won stuff 40-60 years ago.

Typically the main criteria for defining a club was the size of their Trophy cabinet and to a lesser extent the number of fans...

When an Irish person, random punter, some Z list celebrity, goes on social media, with some message like "John lost a bet and must wear a Liverpool shirt for a day" or "Tim will wear the Man Utd shirt all day for charity". Plus obligatory pic of glum faced person in football jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,008 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Play off winners get a trophy for effectively finishing between 3rd to 6th in a league campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Play off winners get a trophy for effectively finish 3rd to 6th in a league campaign.

My dad always moaned about that too!

Suppose you could consider it a separate competition though I guess to validate the presentation of a trophy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Play off winners get a trophy for effectively finishing between 3rd to 6th in a league campaign.
    It's easier than lifting 160m in cash I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Kicking the ball away after a free kick has been given really grinds my gears.

Is it still a yellow card offence?

Have refs just forgotten about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

This new trend of goalkeepers making an easy save, and then throwing themselves onto the ground, simply to waste time.
    Rodak was at it for Fulham. He just plucked bad crosses from Brentford out of the air and then dived on the floor, before taking an age to put the ball back in play.
    Just like the previous post "have refs just forgotten about it?" - I thought the keeper had 6 seconds to release the ball from his hands ?

jacool wrote: »
    This new trend of goalkeepers making an easy save, and then throwing themselves onto the ground, simply to waste time.
    Rodak was at it for Fulham. He just plucked bad crosses from Brentford out of the air and then dived on the floor, before taking an age to put the ball back in play.
    Just like the previous post "have refs just forgotten about it?" - I thought the keeper had 6 seconds to release the ball from his hands ?

It's pretty annoying yeah but it's by no means a new trend. They've been doing that a long, long time.

The six second law still exists, referees just don't bother with it. Also, I don't think it counts until they are standing with the ball under control, I could be wrong though. Mignolet got called up on it in 2015 and Liverpool conceded from the free kick. That's the last time I can think of it being applied although a recent Ireland youth game springs to mind too.

Suarez used to hold his hands up where the referee could see them and count the number of seconds that GKs were holding onto the ball for! Never worked though, refs nearly never follow that rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would love to see some rule brought in for the keepers falling to the ground, the more punitive the better

Top top top top top top player.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Top top top top top top player.

Gerrard wasn't one of them.

The hatred that Liverpool fans still have for Raheem Stirling. I just don't get it. He left Liverpool for arguably a better and more successful team (certainly at the time, anyway) and to stand a greater chance of winning medals. I imagine he was offered a bigger wage too.

The absolute joy that Liverpool fans seem to feel over his shocking miss against Lyon is strange. Why do they care so much about someone who used to play for them? The likes of Gerrard and Le Tissier, who stay with one club for life, are few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

The hatred that Liverpool fans still have for Raheem Stirling. I just don't get it. He left Liverpool for arguably a better and more successful team (certainly at the time, anyway) and to stand a greater chance of winning medals. I imagine he was offered a bigger wage too.

The absolute joy that Liverpool fans seem to feel over his shocking miss against Lyon is strange. Why do they care so much about someone who used to play for them? The likes of Gerrard and Le Tissier, who stay with one club for life, are few and far between.

I don't think it's much to do with him previously playing for the club. Most recently it's been when he interviewed 2 years ago and he said nobody wants that(In relation to Liverpool winning the league)

And also I think he stood on VVD off the ball on purpose? And then you have the whole Joe Gomez thing

I don't think it's much to do with him previously playing for the club. Most recently it's been when he interviewed 2 years ago and he said nobody wants that(In relation to Liverpool winning the league)

And also I think he stood on VVD off the ball on purpose? And then you have the whole Joe Gomez thing

Still seems a bit overboard. I get the feeling that it's definitely more to do with him leaving Liverpool, and then anything after that just added fuel to the fire.

Why do Man United fans hate Tevez?
    Why do Spurs fans hate Sol Campbell?
    Why do Barca fans hate Luis Figo?

The list could go on.

Liverpool gave Sterling his big break into football, he left them at the first sign of a poor season and didn't give them a chance to improve. At the time, Liverpool offered Sterling a massive contract to stay. He refused to enter contract negotiations and the club asked him to not go public in his contract talks/plans to leave. Sterling organised an interview and put it all out in the public.

Players leave and that is ok, but at least have some decorum about yourself. As Shano said, the comments coming from Sterling since he has left have not been very kind either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fitz* wrote: »
    Why do Man United fans hate Tevez?
    Why do Spurs fans hate Sol Campbell?
    Why do Barca fans hate Luis Figo?

The list could go on.

Liverpool gave Sterling his big break into football, he left them at the first sign of a poor season and didn't give them a chance to improve. At the time, Liverpool offered Sterling a massive contract to stay. He refused to enter contract negotiations and the club asked him to not go public in his contract talks/plans to leave. Sterling organised an interview and put it all out in the public.

Players leave and that is ok, but at least have some decorum about yourself. As Shano said, the comments coming from Sterling since he has left have not been very kind either.

Liverpool plucked him from QPR the same way man city did to him from them. Nothing to do with giving him his big break. He was a much sought after, incredibly talented youth. It's not like he was some hidden gem from a backwater town in the middle of nowhere.

Why would they be kind, he was treated like a pariah and he had a manager who talks like David Brent there.

Suarez wanted out too, so maybe he felt there would be no future there. Had Klopp been set to arrive, he'd maybe still be there.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Liverpool plucked him from QPR the same way man city did to him from them. Nothing to do with giving him his big break. He was a much sought after, incredibly talented youth. It's not like he was some hidden gem from a backwater town in the middle of nowhere.

Why would they be kind, he was treated like a pariah and he had a manager who talks like David Brent there.

Suarez wanted out too, so maybe he felt there would be no future there. Had Klopp been set to arrive, he'd maybe still be there.

Sterling still played in the Liverpool academy, for more than 2 years. Anything can happen in a young player's career. Thousands of young players are wanted by multiple clubs but never make the grade. Liverpool gave him the right environment to develop and eventually make the grade. You had a dig at Brendan Rodgers there but fail to mention that Rodgers did an awful lot for Sterling's career. Developed him a lot, taught him a lot and had him playing some excellent football that resulted in him starting in the 10 position at the WC instead of Wayne Rooney, with Rooney moved out to the left wing instead.

One poor season and off he went to City. Didn't even give the manager that helped to develop him a chance to turn it around. Sterling was young enough to give 'one more season' and still have 10+ years of a career elsewhere.

Instead Sterling packed it in at the first opportunity, publicly went against the club that gave him his big break and so did his agent saying that he wouldn't even accept a contract offer of 900,000 a week to play. He didn't show up for training and faked an injury. He then mocked the club since. That's why he is disliked.

He left Liverpool at 20 in 2015. Klopp arrived a few months later and turned the club around. Who knows what position Sterling would be in now if he did give it one more season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Do we hate Tevez?

I didn't know that, can't say I spend much time ever thinking about young carlitos tbh

Would have thought the irrational hatred guy for United fans would be...........I dunno actually, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. Maybe Heinze?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Do we hate Tevez?

I didn't know that, can't say I spend much time ever thinking about young carlitos tbh

Would have thought the irrational hatred guy for United fans would be...........I dunno actually, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. Maybe Heinze?

Tevez and mascherano for me are definitely one of the most exciting things to happen the premiership. West Ham signing them was crazy and everything after was like a movie. Tevez was an unbelievable talent but a pure mercenary. Mascherano was a make weight for the deal and ended up world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Do we hate Tevez?

Paul Ince for the last few years of his career maybe? "Charlie Charlie whats the score?". Attitudes tend to soften when players eventually retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Virgin Media. They're not showing any of the Champions League semi-finals on terrestrial TV. I don’t like them at all. Their sports channels are off the air 99% of the time and their coverage is no better than RTE. RTE tonight will show RB Leipzig v PSG, and that's it. Virgin Media won't even show any highlights on TV. And I can't watch Virgin Media Sports because of their dispute with Eir. I hope they go out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Paul Ince for the last few years of his career maybe? "Charlie Charlie whats the score?". Attitudes tend to soften when players eventually retire.

Definitely plenty of resentment toward the guvnor during his twilight years alright but as you say softened a good bit these days.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

sligeach wrote: »
    Virgin Media. They're not showing any of the Champions League semi-finals on terrestrial TV. I don’t like them at all. Their sports channels are off the air 99% of the time and their coverage is no better than RTE. RTE tonight will show RB Leipzig v PSG, and that's it. Virgin Media won't even show any highlights on TV. And I can't watch Virgin Media Sports because of their dispute with Eir. I hope they go out of business.

I have virgin broadband now and previously eir broadband. Both come with access through the app to their sports channels. Both have nothing on air 99% of the time. It's ridiculous. I have no idea why they have some many sports channels

I robbed this quote from the CL 2021 thread.

"There are 32 places in the group stage of the 2020-21 "Champions" League and 20 of them are automatically taken by the top six leagues.
    If Lyon win the CL then its 21."

Disgraceful stuff altogether.
    Its worse when you see that just 4 leagues make up 50% of the participation.

As I recall, with last years 4 semi-finalists in the "Champions" league there was a total of 92 years since the teams cumulatively had last won their leagues - and Barcelona were actual champions !
    0+5+29+58

UEFA's favourite band - Status Quo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The champions from all the countries are in it though, so if it would be better with just champions, you'd think theyd be doing better in the competition...........

Also, its a far better competition now and people really need to get over this "but its called the champions league" stuff. it's been nearly 30 years lads, time to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

I robbed this quote from the CL 2021 thread.

"There are 32 places in the group stage of the 2020-21 "Champions" League and 20 of them are automatically taken by the top six leagues.
    If Lyon win the CL then its 21."

Disgraceful stuff altogether.
    Its worse when you see that just 4 leagues make up 50% of the participation.

As I recall, with last years 4 semi-finalists in the "Champions" league there was a total of 92 years since the teams cumulatively had last won their leagues - and Barcelona were actual champions !
    0+5+29+58

UEFA's favourite band - Status Quo

https://twitter.com/jonoblain/status/1295996742710820864

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

do people not realise this is mostly a reaction by uefa to the threat of a breakaway euro-super-league which could permanently close off to new entrants

Irish Liverpool fans
    Irish Manchester United fans

Do 87.33% of football threads have to descend into a "them against us" debate, just because their dads or uncles supported one of those two teams, and they weren't allowed make up their own minds?
    The Champions League thread went off because of fighting over the best XI picks
    The Premier League thread is going off over the Harry Maguire story

Same old, same old, and it gets very tedious, very fast
    In the end, it will just drive more and more people away from boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

Irish Liverpool fans
    Irish Manchester United fans

Do 87.33% of football threads have to descend into a "them against us" debate, just because their dads or uncles supported one of those two teams, and they weren't allowed make up their own minds?
    The Champions League thread went off because of fighting over the best XI picks
    The Premier League thread is going off over the Harry Maguire story

Same old, same old, and it gets very tedious, very fast
    In the end, it will just drive more and more people away from boards

To be fair, the mods acted quickly this morning. The moderation has improved here since the new ones were introduced and the very small number of posters who were ruining the place have been broadly kept in line - in my opinion.

Micah Richards being a pundit on nearly every radio and TV show these days and he just laughs after every sentence he say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Micah Richards being a pundit on nearly every radio and TV show these days and he just laughs after every sentence he say.

Yeah he's fairly awful, only seems to be there because he's enthusiastic.

Which I suppose is better than Michael Owen in any sense, but still awful.

Yeah he's fairly awful, only seems to be there because he's enthusiastic.

Which I suppose is better than Michael Owen in any sense, but still awful.

I could handle the enthusiasm if he was any good with his punditry but he isn't.

Clinton Morrison is nearly to enthusiastic and gets tripped up over his words however if you strip down what he is talking about he is actually a really good pundit he just needs to slow down and not get so excitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

I think I've posted about him here before but Martin Tyler. His pen-demic joke and his clumsy comment about Willian moving to Arsenal for a UK passport! Surely he can't have long left to retirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Getting tired of the tendency nowadays for teams defending free-kicks to stick another player behind the wall, blocking the potential of a low shot underneath. It's essentially a double form of defence.

I've seen players crouching behind the wall before, but Douglas Costa in Bayern's game at the weekend actually lies down flat behind it. See here from 2:27:

To me this practice is too kind to the defending team. After all, a free-kick is supposed to be a punishment against a team for an offence. I don't get the logic in the game allowing a defending team to effectively negate outright a potential route to goal.

I'd like to see all forms of this type of low block banned by the lawmakers. If the Costa tactic above catches on, then it will effectively stop goals from under the wall and compel all players to shoot over it. If a 'second wall' is to continue to be allowed then I'd like a ruling where a player can only be permitted to crouch - no lying down - and that they must be directly behind no more than one player. Having said that, the simplest solution would be for the authorities to say there can only be one wall, and thus one type of defence.

• Advertisement

After all, a free-kick is supposed to be a punishment against a team for an offence. I don't get the logic in the game allowing a defending team to effectively negate outright a potential route to goal.

They get a free kick of the ball, that's the punishment.

Advertisement