Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attach a metal sign to a pole

• 23-08-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

I have a metal sign which is flat on both sides. I want to attach it to a pole. What do I need and where can I get it? I imagine I need some sort of clamp to attach to the pole which then has a bolt(s) which attach to the sign?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

2 holes in the sign and get one of these?

Pipe-Clamp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

DannyD wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

I have a metal sign which is flat on both sides. I want to attach it to a pole. What do I need and where can I get it? I imagine I need some sort of clamp to attach to the pole which then has a bolt(s) which attach to the sign?
    How big is the sign? Any pic of the back? There are proper clamps for attaching signs similar to flat road signs. Are there channels on the back of the sign or is it something you got made up with flat metal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

rivets would be the best solution and easiest to carry out. Signs generally have a fixing system on the back of them but if it is a plat plate then rivets would be best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

depends what size the sign is and what size the pole is, If its a big sign (more than 8-10 inches) I wouldn't use rivets as a strong gust of wind could rip the rivets out. Plus you will need a rivet gun and have to drill through the post. I would suggest using U bolts. Have a look here

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/u-bolts

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TimTom

James, What do you call these clamps? I don't think they will be strong enough to support the entire sign as the only support will be the two bolts in the centre.

doctorchopper, thanks the u bolts might work.

red sean, no channels on the back just flat. What do I need to go down this channel route?
    Thanks for the replies. It's a big heavy sign similar to a STOP sign. Both sides are completely flat with no holes drilled. The sign will be mounted on the pole for a day then stored, then mounted again. The ideal solution would be a fixture that I can attach to the pole and leave on the pole but allow me to easily remove and attach the sign itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

TimTom wrote: »
    James, What do you call these clamps? I don't think they will be strong enough to support the entire sign as the only support will be the two bolts in the centre.

Jubilee clips

TimTom wrote: »
    The sign will be mounted on the pole for a day then stored, then mounted again. The ideal solution would be a fixture that I can attach to the pole and leave on the pole but allow me to easily remove and attach the sign itself.

Get 2 ubolts (in tuck fasteners etc) and mount a timber base to the pole. Then design it to slide in the sign or drill for bolts that you can put in when you need to have the sign up and just hand tighten.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Go to your local motor factors shop.

Buy 2 stainless U-Shaped car exhaust/backbox clamps (M6 or M8 threads and nutts),

Drill 2 holes through the sign with a 6mm or 8mm drill bit.

Slot the U clamps through the sign.

Then thread the nutts onto the back of the u clamp and tighten it down to the pole.

One sign firmly secured onto a round pole,and it wont move/budge anywhere.

OR....

2 or 3 x M6 sized stainless "bolt head" self tappers and use a cordless screwgun and M6 socket to screw the self tappers through the metal sign straighjt into the pole.

This is what I do when mounting external fibre optic and Wi-Fi signal boxes to outdoor ariel poles for Bus Eireann in their bus depots.

Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, you could use techscrews which is probably Paddy's idea. You can unscrew them when you're removing it and re-screw them when using again. They're available in any hardware shop, similar to these: http://www.gohvacrsupply.com/store.php?cid=28

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

red sean wrote: »
    OP, you could use techscrews which is probably Paddy's idea. You can unscrew them when you're removing it and re-screw them when using again. They're available in any hardware shop, similar to these: http://www.gohvacrsupply.com/store.php?cid=28

Thats them exactly,only the ones we use have a tough metal and rubber washer built into them,so that they dont crack/split through the plastic junction boxes.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Exhaust clamps would do a good secure job, tech screws or rivits could pull loose with wind.

fr1292.jpg

Any motor factor shop will have them..
    Job done :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

What will the sign say?

Just wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

stoneill wrote: »
    What will the sign say?

Just wondering.

Consulting Engineers: Boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Using a U bolt through a flat surface will tend to cut the sign as it pulls tight, or try and wrap the sign around the pole.
    The exhaust clamps have a flat surface so they support the flat sign, another plate on top would spread the load and allow the nuts to be fully tightened.

You need to be tightening the nuts on the sign side not the pole side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Get your hands on an old road sign which is roughly the same size as your own one.Rivet the new sign to the old one & get a couple of brackets to attach it to the pole.

Your local council depot should have a few lying around if you ask nicely they'll sort you out.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy7Nl1T4IhPpPfmOWu5r2cvaKLOSctWaUcEYSNzWELudo9ZpTP&t=1

Advertisement