Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rediscovering yourself.

• 23-08-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

So last year I was chatting a neighbour who worked in the building trade going on about the daily struggle of bills etc and struggling with the mortgage . He was out of employment since 2008. About 6 months ago he gained employment in his trade and I was delighted only to see him pull up in a 30000 brand new car last week. Isn't it fantastic to see someone who was at their wits end only less than a year rediscover themselves. Have we turned the corner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Oh! There I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I have two degrees and cant get work.

Do you think I'm going to do a third one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Your neighbour sounds like a dumbass, no offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

He obviously didn't learn anything being out of work.. going out buying a brand new car...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I was delighted only to see him pull up in a 30000 brand new car last week. Isn't it fantastic to see someone who was at their wits end only less than a year rediscover themselves. Have we turned the corner?

So he was out of work for four years, finally gets some work, but hasn't learned a thing so he goes out and buys a brand new car for €30k????

Sounds like an idiot to me.
    Or perhaps this never happened? Come on OP, tell the truth, you made this up didn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Obviously didn't learn much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I suspect he's a drug dealer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Six months ago he couldn't get work and now he's splashing €30,000 on a new car?

Thirty fecking grand, a years wages and he spunks it on a car after half a years work?

If that's rediscovering yourself I hope I never do tbh. Fucking baffling.

nbar12 wrote: »
    I suspect he's a drug dealer

Or has a gambling addiction :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

So last year I was chatting a neighbour who worked in the building trade going on about the daily struggle of bills etc and struggling with the mortgage . He was out of employment since 2008. About 6 months ago he gained employment in his trade and I was delighted only to see him pull up in a 30000 brand new car last week. Isn't it fantastic to see someone who was at their wits end only less than a year rediscover themselves. Have we turned the corner?

So rediscovering yourself means buying really expensive stuff. I had pictures of people medatating in the wilderness with a beautiful back drop with mountains behind you and the gently tumble of waterfall audibal in the distance.

Instead this lad rediscoverd himself by buying a really expensive car.

Damn i hate captilism at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Unless its a company car he's a fool who has not learned how screwed the economy still is

Or has a gambling addiction :pac:

touché

BRB going to rediscover myself by getting into some negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Dean09 wrote: »
    I was delighted only to see him pull up in a 30000 brand new car last week. Isn't it fantastic to see someone who was at their wits end only less than a year rediscover themselves. Have we turned the corner?

So he was out of work for four years, finally gets some work, but hasn't learned a thing so he goes out and buys a brand new car for €30k????

Sounds like an idiot to me.
    Or perhaps this never happened? Come on OP, tell the truth, you made this up didn't you?
    It has happened. A lovely shiney motor and he parks it facing the street in his drive and not towards the house like he used to with the banger he had when times were tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

That 30k would have probably paid his mortgage for 2 years if he ever found himself out of work again.. some people are just thick.

If i was his wife he would have rediscovered single life all over again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If he's still doing the same work, how is it linked to discovering himself. It's not like he's a cop who's discovered he's a flower arranger (edit: That's the other way around)

http://i2.cdnds.net/11/31/550w_movies_bubba_smith_01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

The HSE have obviously been doing free sarcasm bypasses recently going on the previous few posters. :rolleyes: ....or am I giving the OP too much credit??

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

He'll be broke again by Xmas at that rate.

jessiejam wrote: »
    That 30k would have probably paid his mortgage for 2 years if he ever found himself out of work again.. some people are just thick.

Luckily for him, you are not his wife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Buying that car was a very zen thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Maybe he stole it.....maybe his "job" is all a lie and he's actually lost the plot. He's probably walking around his sitting room in a wig and high heels pretending to be his wife right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Did you check down the back of the couch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Drug dealer alert. Only a moron buys a brand new car after just getting a new job - the bank wouldn't agree to it, for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Is your neighbours name Walter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

For all we know he might have been putting away 500 a week of his social welfare money and now that he has employment he has decided to treat himself to a car so that he can commute to/from work.

Fair play to the tiger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭fluke

Sure...isn't he a great lad!!

Not exactly what I expected when I began reading this thread. Now if you don't mind I'm off to read some Kerouac...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I have two degrees and cant get work.

Do you think I'm going to do a third one?

Yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I am happy for him.

It's a very Irish thing to know the price of the car! Paraphrasing: "It used to face into the house when it was a banger, but the new one faces out onto the road." I bet the neighbourhood watch scheme is great there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

It has happened. A lovely shiney motor and he parks it facing the street in his drive and not towards the house like he used to with the banger he had when times were tough.
    ah i get it now, op is the builder. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Thread title give me an image of some rich git travelling to India for a few months and then coming back telling everyone how he left busy and materialistic Ireland for some soul-searching.

Then hops into his €30,000 car......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭fluke

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Thread title give me an image of some rich git travelling to India for a few months and then coming back telling everyone how he left busy and materialistic Ireland for some soul-searching.

Kinda sounds like Batman Begins...

maybe the OP's neighbour is Batman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

It's like the Irish version of "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" -"Paddy buys a Peugeot"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I rediscover myself at least once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Taking too much interest in the self dicovery of neighbours could land ya in hot water OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

What lots of folks do these days is lease cars and pass it off as their own. Maybe he came into money, doubt he got a car loan for that much though.

OP what kind of car is it? Land Rover Discovery by any chance? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

jessiejam wrote: »

Was thinking the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭pathtohome

People in this country are completely oblivious to the fact that true happiness can never come from materialism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I thought it was going to be about ladies sitting at a mirror talking to their fanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I thought it was going to be about ladies sitting at a mirror talking to their fanny.
    Disgusting; absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Fair play to him for turning his fortunes around

And a big well done to the people above begrudging him, if he was on the dole ye'd be calling him a scrounger:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Fair play to him for turning his fortunes around

And a big well done to the people above begrudging him, if he was on the dole ye'd be calling him a scrounger:rolleyes:

Fair play to the lad. However i was critising the op and his use of the word 'rediscover'. The op's titled the tread rediscoveing yourself. Getting a job which is very sililar and in the same field as you used to be in and then buying a car is not rediscovering yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What's the big deal?

He got a job, worked for half a year and bought a new car (That may be leased or 'nearly new' and not actually €30k). Hardly strange, controversial or stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Disgusting; absolutely disgusting.

Ah you play for the other side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Fair play to the lad. However i was critising the op and his use of the word 'rediscover'. The op's titled the tread rediscoveing yourself. Getting a job which is very sililar and in the same field as you used to be in and then buying a car is not rediscovering yourself.

Sorry didn't mean just you, it was aimed at the whole begrudging culture going on in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There's something about this thread by that's so Fr Teddish ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Re-discover myself? I still haven't quite recovered from the initial discovery, I'm in no hurry to go through that experience again. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 17 latte2010

How the hell did he rediscover himself by buying a new car?? Maybe he won money or was left money in a will or something like that and decided to treat himself. One man buying a new car is hardly a ****ing sign of of us "turning a corner".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The reality .

He drove down the OP's street ,stalled outside his his neighbors house , honked the horn ,gave the two fingers sign to all and sundry then drove off into the night ...

Advertisement