Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Games in Limerick

• 23-08-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently Limerick is down to the final 7 for a chance to host the Gay Games in 2018.

Firstly I didn't know the Gays had their own games I just presumed they would be happy with the Olympics like everyone else.

When asked on the radio about whether anyone can join in the games it seems they can't. If your not in the LBGT community your not welcolme, well thats the way it came across on the radio.

This annoys me, there on the radio every second day about there right to marraige etc but when it comes to straight people joining in to play some rugby, do a bit of running etc the straight community can apparently go fup themselves as far as the LBGT's are concerned.

Hyprocites of the highest order, what's your take on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Linky to the details of what the games are?

Edit: (I'd google, but I'm in work and don't want to google "gay games" on the internal network. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

The gays have had their own games for years, personally I've just never been tempted to join in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

If they get it, Rich Anton will explode across the sky on his own rainbow of publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't know the full details but seems hypocritical to me.
    Imagine what would happen if someone set up a different set of games and said "No Gays Allowed". There'd be murder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Dean09 wrote: »
    Imagine what would happen if someone set up a different set of games and said "No Gays Allowed".

It's called World cup 2022 in Qatar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

Apparently Limerick is down to the final 7 for a chance to host the Gay Games in 2018.

Firstly I didn't know the Gays had their own games I just presumed they would be happy with the Olympics like everyone else.

When asked on the radio about whether anyone can join in the games it seems they can't. If your not in the LBGT community your not welcolme, well thats the way it came across on the radio.

This annoys me, there on the radio every second day about there right to marraige etc but when it comes to straight people joining in to play some rugby, do a bit of running etc the straight community can apparently go fup themselves as far as the LBGT's are concerned.

Do you also believe everything you read on the internet? 5 Minutes of research and you would have seen that they are all inclusive!

I love these people who hear something on the radio and then go looking to slate the entire LGBT Community:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0822/1224322660149.html

The competition is one of the largest multi-sport festivals in the world and is open to all participants regardless of skill level, sexual orientation or physical challenge

[\QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I heard that the The Gays aren't one big club that all have the same opinion.

But that's probably just crazy talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I must have missed the part in the London Olympic games where they said everyone participating was straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rochey84 wrote: »
    Do you also believe everything you read on the internet? ]
    He said it was on the radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The website has the answers to what I presume are your questions on their FAQ:
    The Gay Games welcome athletes of all sexual orientation. And the people who participate in the Gay Games continue to compete in sport between each edition of the Gay Games. Some do so exclusively in LGBT sports organizations, but most compete in mainstream sport, both individual and team sport.

• Advertisement

He said it was on the radio

My point was that just cause he heard something about it on the radio doesn't make it true guess the point was lost on you! He was claiming that it was a gay only event, which it couldn't be as that would be illegal and conter-productive to the equality and inclusivness that the LGBT community are striving to achieve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Gay Games welcome athletes of all sexual orientation.

So it should be called The Games, then? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The Gay Games welcome athletes of all sexual orientation. And the people who participate in the Gay Games continue to compete in sport between each edition of the Gay Games. Some do so exclusively in LGBT sports organizations, but most compete in mainstream sport, both individual and team sport.

If it's for everybody why don't they just call it the games, it's not for everybody that's my point.
    The LBGT community rep was asked twice whether it was for everybody and he all but said no straight people please. Apparently you have to be a member of the community to play, which rules out about 98% of the population.

My point was that just cause he heard something about it on the radio doesn't make it true guess the point was lost on you! He was claiming that it was a gay only event, which it couldn't be as that would be illegal and conter-productive to the equality and inclusivness that the LGBT community are striving to achieve!

A representitive of the Games (EDIT it was an LGBT rep) on the radio is a bit different than some random persons opinion on the internet. If it wasnt then you can generally hope for a bit of journalistic integrity from somethign that gets broadcast.

Your point was a cheap quip about people believing everything they read on the internet. You should have read the post properly before diving in.

If it's for everybody why don't they just call it the games, it's not for everybody that's my point.
    The LBGT community rep was asked twice whether it was for everybody and he all but said no straight people please. Apparently you have to be a member of the community to play, which rules out about 98% of the population.
    Again, from the FAQ:
    But the Gay Games are themselves “straight games”. Everyone is welcome, whatever their sexual orientation. It is estimated that about 10% of participants in each edition of the Gay Games are straight, often friends and family members of LGBT participants who participate to show their support and solidarity.
    Did you read the link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Is there an a Felching & Fisting Final? Maybe a Squeaky Voice Competition? If so I'll avoid it like the plague.

Again, from the FAQ:

Did you read the link?

Why did the LBGT guy on the radio say different then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

About as relevant a sporting event as say the "Special Olympics". Main aim is to generate publicity and awareness.

Grayson wrote: »
    It's crazy talk. When you sign up to be a pervert, sorry i mean gay, you have to agree to all the rules and then you're sent off to a special camp for training. Hense the reason gay people are so camp.

Can opened.

Worms everywhere.
    Jimoslimos wrote: »
    About as relevant a sporting event as say the "Special Olympics". Main aim is to generate publicity and awareness.

The Special Olympics are very relevant :confused:

Why did the LBGT guy on the radio say different then?
    I don't know. I haven't heard it and the only evidence that we have that he did is from the OP.

Maybe the OP misheard? Maybe the guy on the radio made a balls-up and got it wrong?

• Advertisement

A representitive of the Games (EDIT it was an LGBT rep) on the radio is a bit different than some random persons opinion on the internet. If it wasnt then you can generally hope for a bit of journalistic integrity from somethign that gets broadcast.

Your point was a cheap quip about people believing everything they read on the internet. You should have read the post properly before diving in.

I did read the post fully and was quite frankly a little put out by the assumption that it was solely for the LGBT community when the article in the Irish Times yesterday and the website for the gay games actually categorically state that it is an all inclusive event. Took me 5 minutes to find that!

Also the OP said the impression he got, so he never actually heard the "rep" suggest that it was only for gay people! The OP jumped to a conclusion and then rushed on here to start an Anti LGBT thread!

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The Special Olympics are very relevant :confused:
    As a sporting event? No they're not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

how are the special olympics irrelevant?

The OP jumped to a conclusion and then rushed on here to start an Anti LGBT thread!

Apparently he is also annoyed at the LGBT community due to them discriminating against infra red and ultraviolet in their flag

I did read the post fully and was quite frankly a little put out by the assumption that it was solely for the LGBT community when the article in the Irish Times yesterday and the website for the gay games actually categorically state that it is an all inclusive event. Took me 5 minutes to find that!

Also the OP said the impression he got, so he never actually heard the "rep" suggest that it was only for gay people! The OP jumped to a conclusion and then rushed on here to start an Anti LGBT thread!

Seems it was quite clear since this post.
    The LBGT community rep was asked twice whether it was for everybody and he all but said no straight people please.

Everyone is forced to be inclusive nowadays. People try to get round that,

Seems it was quite clear since this post.

It is far from clear, the Rep who has nothing to do with the games, "ALL BUT SAID" so in other words he never said it! also a random person does not represent all LGBT people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nah, don't fancy taking part in the Gay Olympics. Especially not the Greco-Roman wrestling.

Now if they'd let me enter the female event.........hell yeah.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Now if they'd let me enter the female event.........hell yeah.

well if they don't surely you can complain like the OP that you felt like they discriminated against you untill they do

As a sporting event? No they're not

Yeah, they are. Being disabled doesn't make them any less of a person capable of competing in a sporting event. That's the sort of crap they don't want people thinking of the event, that it's all just a publicity thing.

You might as well say the Paralympics aren't a real sporting event, either, or is it because those athletes don't have mental disabilities?

• Advertisement

It is far from clear, the Rep who has nothing to do with the games, "ALL BUT SAID" so in other words he never said it! also a random person does not represent all LGBT people!

Do you know who the person on the radio is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

They should call it the Olympic Gayems.

Do you know who the person on the radio is?

Is that relevant, I have done research and know for a fact that gay games are all inclusive so the OP or you coming on here claiming that someone who the OP and yourself both recognise doesn't have anything to do with the games said but didn't that it's only for gay people is ridiculous!

krudler wrote: »
    how are the special olympics irrelevant?
    In case you missed what I said earlier, they are irrelevant as a sporting event. Generating interest in intellectual disability issues is more important than the events themselves

I have a few other problems with the whole 'Special Olympics' concept but I won't derail the thread with them.

On the 'Gay Games', I don't have a problem with them deciding who can or cannot participate - I mean it's not as if there's going to be some sort of sexuality test :eek: The main aim is gay rights awareness with some sport thrown in - not a sporting organisation discriminating against one section of the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

LOL, fail op

Is that relevant, I have done research and know for a fact that gay games are all inclusive so the OP or you coming on here claiming that someone who the OP and yourself both recognise doesn't have anything to do with the games said but didn't that it's only for gay people is ridiculous!

Its very relevant. I never recognised that anyone doesnt have anything to do with the games. The op said LBGT rep. For all I know this LGBT rep runs, funds and organises the games.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    LOL, fail op

More of a fail by whoever put themsleves on radio as an authority on the games, no?

Its very relevant. I never recognised that anyone doesnt have anything to do with the games. The op said LBGT rep. For all I know this LGBT rep runs, funds and organises the games.

You're just determined to find flaws to suggest that the games are not inclusive regardless of what everyone including the games own website tells you.

So on that note I'm gonna leave ya to it. Believe what you like but I'm afraid you're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If everybody's allowed to participate, gay must mean happy on this occasion, which must also mean that even the losers are going to get gold medals.

You're just determined to find flaws to suggest that the games are not inclusive regardless of what everyone including the games own website tells you.

So on that note I'm gonna leave ya to it. Believe what you like but I'm afraid you're wrong.

No. Im wondering why someone went on the radio, presumably as someone representing the games or in some capactiy as knowing what the rules were and said they werent all inclusive.

Your the one just saying things and assuming I wont question you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

Might it just be possible that the spokesman the LBGT was trying to get the message across that the games would be open to those who share a common interest with LBGT, but was hoping to deter the "hilarious" pranksters and trouble-makers that an unequivocal, open invitation might attract?

• Advertisement

No. Im wondering why someone went on the radio, presumably as someone representing the games or in some capactiy as knowing what the rules were and said they werent all inclusive.

Your the one just saying things and assuming I wont question you.

But according to the OP's own admission they never said it wasn't all inclusive, they may have implied it but they never said it and if they implied it, they did it errronously, also I'm all up for discussion on the issue but what you seem to be doing is trying to convince us all that the person on the radio represented the entire LGBT community or the Games in some fashion, for all we know this person was just a random caller claiming to have knowledge they don't have but as is the nature with talk shows the station didn't have time to verify their claims!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

You really are determined to get as offended as possible by this, aren't you.

The official stance of the organisers has already been clarified.

This is clearly about gay people coming together in a fun social setting, celebrating the fact that they're not ashamed of their orientation (a statement that still needs galvanizing today, imo) and including straight people with them. Sounds great ; and you can take part now ; what are you whingeing for?

later12 wrote: »

This is clearly about gay people coming together in a fun social setting, celebrating the fact that they're not ashamed of their orientation (a statement that still needs galvanizing today, imo) and including straight people with them. Sounds great ; and you can take part now ; what are you whingeing for?

This +1!! The idea is that although a huge number of Olympians that are gay, they are not encouraged to express their sexual identidy this is the chance to show that gay people are not confined to the gay bars etc!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

later12 wrote: »

I believe he's more interested in provoking a negative reaction and attempting to get away with it.

Isn't that right OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

If Limerick really got this, it would be fabulous.

People please , gay people are just the same as everybody else, they want to be treated the same as everybody else they are just the same as you and i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Could you imagine the steeple chase they would all be falling over eachother or the wrestling sure it would be mayhem with all the spandex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

I was at a very interesting talk a few years ago by a woman heavily involved with different religious groups during the troubles in Northern Ireland. She spoke about how the gay community was in danger of segregating itself, jumping from one closet to another and that the goal should be integration of all people into one community not segregating off into little clicks. This, to me, is an example of this in an extreme form. In these Olympics, look how much things have changed by integrating the likes of Oscar Pistorius into the games! There are many out gay Olympians e.g. Matthew Mitchum. Nobody gasped or refused to go in the pool with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Don't quite understand the need for a "gay games". After all Tom Daley participated and won a medal in the recent Olympics and you can be sure there are other gay Olympians too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The idea is that although a huge number of Olympians that are gay, they are not encouraged to express their sexual identidy this is the chance to show that gay people are not confined to the gay bars etc!
    And also, although of course many people in the gay community enjoy sports, I think many could have negative attitudes of partaking in a small number of team sports.

Part of the reason for this might be a perception of greater homophobia in (particularly male) team/ contact sports. I don't agree with that personally; I think it's symptomatic of nothing more than insensitive, but harmless, banter that goes on. Nevertheless, the belief of something more sinister exists, and that's a bad thing.

You wouldn't expect this event to overcome that belief, but anything that brings gay and straight people together in a fun statement of acceptance is a positive move in that direction.
    There are many out gay Olympians e.g. Matthew Mitchum. Nobody gasped or refused to go in the pool with him!
    There were 10,000 athletes at the 2012 Games in London.

Name those who were gay.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement